Comp Picks--

Astrobot

The Bills net two comp picks they weren't expecting the NFL to dole out. The first comp pick is #132 in Round 4, and the other is #251 in the 7th Round. This gives the Bills 10 draft picks without trade-downs.

What does it mean for the Bills? Some of the players that are on the cusp between Round 4 and Round 5, and should now be in play for the Bills include Owen Schmitt FB, Pedro Sosa and Kirk Barton OT, Robert Felton FB, Brian Johnston DE, Andre Fluellen DT, Bryan Kehl OLB, Patick Lee and Tyvon Branch CB, Dexter Jackson WR, and Jamar Adams SS. That's one way the new picks affect our draft: We have the opportunity in late Round 4 to take Best Player Still Available (one of these I just listed).

Here's a mock:

RD#1, Pick 11 --Malcolm Kelly WR

RD#2, Pick 42 --Patrick Sims DT

RD#3, Pick 73 -- Martellus Bennett TE

RD#4, Pick 111 -- Brian Johnston DE

RD#4, Pick 132 --Tyvon Branch CB (compensatory pick nets the draft's fastest CB)

RD#5, Pick 142 -- Jamar Adams SS

RD#6, Pick 170 -- Cody Wallace OC

RD#7, Pick 202 -- Dennis Dixon QB

RD#7, Pick 210 -- Joel Collins, FB

RD#7, Pick 251 -- Mark Bradford WR (compensatory pick nets Trent's WR with 41" vertical)

Not surpised about comp picks other than NFL being fair:

Losses:

Nate Clements 8 yr, $80 million

London Fletcher 5 yr, $25 million

Andre Davis 4 yr, $16 million

Mike Gandy 3 yr, $14 million

Gains:

Derrick Dockery 7 yr, $49 million

Langston Walker 5 yr, $25 million

Jason Whittle 1 yr, $.72 million $40,000 SB.

Josh Scobey 1 yr, $??????? Signed 5/3; released 9/25, re-signed with Seahawks

Compare the dollars, the years, and that Scobey was let go early and re-signed old team

The Bills net two comp picks they weren't expecting the NFL to dole out. The first comp pick is #132 in Round 4, and the other is #251 in the 7th Round. This gives the Bills 10 draft picks without trade-downs.

What does it mean for the Bills? Some of the players that are on the cusp between Round 4 and Round 5, and should now be in play for the Bills include Owen Schmitt FB, Pedro Sosa and Kirk Barton OT, Robert Felton FB, Brian Johnston DE, Andre Fluellen DT, Bryan Kehl OLB, Patick Lee and Tyvon Branch CB, Dexter Jackson WR, and Jamar Adams SS. That's one way the new picks affect our draft: We have the opportunity in late Round 4 to take Best Player Still Available (one of these I just listed).

Here's a mock:

RD#4, Pick 132 --Tyvon Branch CB (compensatory pick nets the draft's fastest CB)

RD#7, Pick 251 -- Mark Bradford WR (compensatory pick nets Trent's WR with 41" vertical)

I think you mean Robert Felton the guard from Arkansas rather than Jerome Felton the FB who's probably a 7th rounder.

I agree about the draft situation - it really let's us have some insurance to grab a best player available in some good spots - though probably not the first. It'll give us a chance to address a position like interior line or fullback that might not otherwise have gotten attention in the mid rounds. I think we were already planning on going pass rusher in the 4th or 5th, and corner, WR, TE within the first 4.

maybe not the right post to talk mock draft - but I know you always like to talk about picks...

I love the first two picks (on the assumption Kelly is healthy and doesn't run a 4.7). I think we go WR in first, and best player on our board in the 2nd (the Drafttek thing really highlights how a lot of quality players will be there in the 2nd for us)

I have doubts about Martellus Bennett for some reason. Lack of production, immaturity, seems like Marcedes Lewis to me. I'd rather have one of the other 3 - Davis, Carlson, or Keller. But think we go TE here in the 3rd.

I like the Brian Johnson pick - after his pro day his stock has been soaring (4.6 speed, 274 lbs, dominated in college, though in a weak conference) but he'd still probably be there for us in the 4th. Like that pick a lot. I wonder if he can play any tight end?

I don't like Wallace, but that late in the draft it's hard to object to giving the guy a shot.

Dixon would be an intriguing addition. I'm starting to be a believer in the old advice that a team should try to draft a quarterback each year at some point. You never know if you're going to hit gold. And you're always refining and improving your quarterbacking options.

Do you think we'd go SS? It seems like we have a glut of them and only one true FS in Simpson. Do you think Thomas DeCoud of Cal might be there at the end of the 4th? He seems to have all the skills, led his team in tackles, 4.5 speed, good size.

Not surpised about comp picks other than NFL being fair:

Losses:

Nate Clements 8 yr, $80 million

London Fletcher 5 yr, $25 million

Andre Davis 4 yr, $16 million

Mike Gandy 3 yr, $14 million

Gains:

Derrick Dockery 7 yr, $49 million

Langston Walker 5 yr, $25 million

Jason Whittle 1 yr, $.72 million $40,000 SB.

Josh Scobey 1 yr, $??????? Signed 5/3; released 9/25, re-signed with Seahawks

Compare the dollars, the years, and that Scobey was let go early and re-signed old team

The leaague did not deam Whittle and Scobey as gains, thus the 2 comp picks

The leaague did not deam Whittle and Scobey as gains, thus the 2 comp picks

They were considered gains but not as much as the Bills loss. If we had signed neither player we may have gotten a higher pick hence why I provided the relative contracts.

I think you mean Robert Felton the guard from Arkansas rather than Jerome Felton the FB who's probably a 7th rounder.

I agree about the draft situation - it really let's us have some insurance to grab a best player available in some good spots - though probably not the first. It'll give us a chance to address a position like interior line or fullback that might not otherwise have gotten attention in the mid rounds. I think we were already planning on going pass rusher in the 4th or 5th, and corner, WR, TE within the first 4.

maybe not the right post to talk mock draft - but I know you always like to talk about picks...

I love the first two picks (on the assumption Kelly is healthy and doesn't run a 4.7). I think we go WR in first, and best player on our board in the 2nd (the Drafttek thing really highlights how a lot of quality players will be there in the 2nd for us)

I have doubts about Martellus Bennett for some reason. Lack of production, immaturity, seems like Marcedes Lewis to me. I'd rather have one of the other 3 - Davis, Carlson, or Keller. But think we go TE here in the 3rd.

I like the Brian Johnson pick - after his pro day his stock has been soaring (4.6 speed, 274 lbs, dominated in college, though in a weak conference) but he'd still probably be there for us in the 4th. Like that pick a lot. I wonder if he can play any tight end?

I don't like Wallace, but that late in the draft it's hard to object to giving the guy a shot.

Dixon would be an intriguing addition. I'm starting to be a believer in the old advice that a team should try to draft a quarterback each year at some point. You never know if you're going to hit gold. And you're always refining and improving your quarterbacking options.

Do you think we'd go SS? It seems like we have a glut of them and only one true FS in Simpson. Do you think Thomas DeCoud of Cal might be there at the end of the 4th? He seems to have all the skills, led his team in tackles, 4.5 speed, good size.

I DID mean Felton the AK Guard. Made me wonder if a team ever wrote down the wrong "Smith" or something...

If I had a choice of TE, I guess I'd want one that is balanced enough at blocking AND receiving to give the defense a split-second problem at the snap. Bennett's the best blocker in Rounds 1-3, and they all catch really well. Cottam has the highest receiving ypc but would be available in RD#4, but Carlson is the better blocker in RD#4. It's a quandary. Bennett and Craig Stevens (7th Rounder) have the best balance in the late rounds, but I think drafting a TE will happen before then, and we probably won't draft two TE's.

I love Cody Wallace. He's aggressive, big, tough, and has 3 years at Center. Interesting stat: He had 100 pancake blocks in H.S. AND played both ways. This year he had 131 knockdowns and 13 touchdown-resulting blocks. The knock on Wallace was that he couldn't handle Sedrick Ellis 1 on 1. My advice? Make sure Ellis is on our team!

I DID mean Felton the AK Guard. Made me wonder if a team ever wrote down the wrong "Smith" or something...

If I had a choice of TE, I guess I'd want one that is balanced enough at blocking AND receiving to give the defense a split-second problem at the snap. Bennett's the best blocker in Rounds 1-3, and they all catch really well. Cottam has the highest receiving ypc but would be available in RD#4, but Carlson is the better blocker in RD#4. It's a quandary. Bennett and Craig Stevens (7th Rounder) have the best balance in the late rounds, but I think drafting a TE will happen before then, and we probably won't draft two TE's.

I love Cody Wallace. He's aggressive, big, tough, and has 3 years at Center. Interesting stat: He had 100 pancake blocks in H.S. AND played both ways. This year he had 131 knockdowns and 13 touchdown-resulting blocks. The knock on Wallace was that he couldn't handle Sedrick Ellis 1 on 1. My advice? Make sure Ellis is on our team!

LOL about Ellis and Wallace.

Hard to take Cottam's ypc seriously when he only had 22 receptions his whole college career. The guy is all about his physical potential and it seems like he's got it all except the staying healthy part. I read some article about how the NFL scouts were getting frustrated scouting the TE's, and that there was a consensus that there were only about 4 or 5 good ones in the whole draft. Could mean that a decent prospect like Craig Stevens goes a lot higher than he probably normally would.

Here's a mock:

That is a GREAT draft