2008 Ralph Wilson Stadium Wall of Fame

Lori

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Wall of Fame committee select for induction this year?

• Cornelius Bennett
    • Jerry Butler
    • George "Butch" Byrd
    • Bob Chandler
    • Shane Conlan
    • Carlton "Cookie" Gilchrist
    • Reggie McKenzie
    • Van Miller
    • Bill Polian
    • Lou Saban
    • Bruce Smith
    • Will Wolford
    • other (please explain below)
  2. 2. In your opinion, who SHOULD the committee select this year?

• Cornelius Bennett
    • Jerry Butler
    • Butch Byrd
    • Bob Chandler
    • Shane Conlan
    • Cookie Gilchrist
    • Reggie McKenzie
    • Van Miller
    • Bill Polian
    • Lou Saban
    • Bruce Smith
    • Will Wolford
    • other (please explain below)

First, let's revisit the criteria:

To be eligible for induction, an individual must have played with the Bills for at least three years and be retired from professional football. Also eligible are other individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Bills, including administrators and coaches. Selections are made by a distinguished panel composed of club personnel and media members.

Current inductees: Ed Abramoski, Joe DeLamielleure, Elbert Dubenion, Joe Ferguson, Kent Hull, Robert James, Bob Kalsu, Jim Kelly, Jack Kemp, Marv Levy, Patrick McGroeder, Andre Reed, Jim Ritcher, George Saimes, Tom Sestak, Billy Shaw, O.J. Simpson, Fred Smerlas, Mike Stratton, Darryl Talley, Steve Tasker, Thurman Thomas, Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., and The 12th Man.

So, like the title says, who's your pick? And do you think the committee will nominate the same person? For extra credit, show your work: don't just tell us who you picked, tell us why. Consider this your chance to give a nominating speech for your selection.

NOTES: This is not a multiple-choice question, because several voters have made it well-known that they'd rather not "minimize" the honor by selecting more than one person each year.

Also, Gilchrist and Saban remain on the ballot and you're welcome to vote for them, but do so knowing that neither induction is likely to take place any time soon.

I voted for Van since I'm only allowed to choose one. However, I really believ this should be a multiple year. Bruce deserves to be up right now and I'd like the team to honor Miller while he's still alive. Every year you wait on that is playing with fire and there will be worthy players for at least the next few years.

I am guessing that my choices are pretty much in line with yours: Bruce will get the nomination and Van should get the nomination. Bruce is a no-brainer and there is no need to go into detail on his accomplishments.

Van, on the other hand, should be on the Wall. Other than Myron Cope, I am not sure if there was any other announcer who was with their team for as long as Van (37 years). If he did not have the break from '71-'77, he would have had more continuous time with the team than Cope. He was the recipient of the Pete Rozelle Television-Radio Award. He was the voice of the Bills for their entire existence, until he retired. And the most important reason why Van should be on the Wall is that he was the announcing partner with my uncle, doing basketball games. :doh: Van belongs on the Wall.

Another thing. You can put Van in this year and Bruce next year, in order to tie Bruce's possible HOF induction to the WOF induction. IIRC, Bruce is eligible next year for HOF induction. You can never guess what the selection committee will do, but they might even be able to get this right and induct Bruce in the class of 2009. That way, he goes into the HOF and can be introduced as a HOFer at his WOF ceremony.

Another thing. You can put Van in this year and Bruce next year, in order to tie Bruce's possible HOF induction to the WOF induction. IIRC, Bruce is eligible next year for HOF induction. You can never guess what the selection committee will do, but they might even be able to get this right and induct Bruce in the class of 2009. That way, he goes into the HOF and can be introduced as a HOFer at his WOF ceremony.

Nope -- I have it on good authority that the panel is committed to making sure those players are honored here first. If Mark Gaughan goes to the HOF voters meeting next February and Bruce isn't on the Wall, I know exactly what the first question will be at the end of his presentation...

'cause Bruce is gonna get flak from the HOF committee...

I understand the premise though

You're right, of course -- it's hard to imagine a scenario that doesn't include Bruce as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But they set the precedent with Jim and continued it with Thurman, so I don't expect it to change this time around.

Nope -- I have it on good authority that the panel is committed to making sure those players are honored here first. If Mark Gaughan goes to the HOF voters meeting next February and Bruce isn't on the Wall, I know exactly what the first question will be at the end of his presentation...

"What the hell were we thinking in making Marshall Goldberg a senior finalist last year?" :doh:

Valid point, which is why I voted Bruce as the one that will be inducted, even though I favor Van's induction.

Give me a break. I dont think the HOF committee is going to be too concerned if Smith isnt voted on the wall this year. If anybody on the HOF panel even questions Smith's HOF worthiness they should have their credentials taken away right on the spot. My guess is Gaughan isnt going to have to persuade the committee on this one.

With that being said, Smith & Miller this year for the wall. No brainer.

You're right, of course -- it's hard to imagine a scenario that doesn't include Bruce as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But they set the precedent with Jim and continued it with Thurman, so I don't expect it to change this time around.

For informational purposes only.

Name: WOF/HOF

Juice: 1980/1985

Billy Shaw: 1988/1999

Marve: 1996/2001

Joey D: 1997/2003

Ralph: 1999/?

Jimbo: 2001/2002

Thermal: 2005/2007

'Dre: 2006/?

The Bills have put two names on the Wall twice, in 2000 (Saimes/Kalsu) and 2001 (Smerlas/Kelly). The way I heard it, Smerlas was the original selection in 2001 -- they wanted to get the pre-Super Bowl players taken care of before entering that era -- but decided they couldn't wait to put Kelly's name up.

As you noted, KRC, all previous Bills Hall of Famers were on the Wall well before they made it to Canton. Tighter window with the potential first-ballot guys, which is why I was a little surprised to see Steve make it ahead of Bruce last year.

The Bills have put two names on the Wall twice, in 2000 (Saimes/Kalsu) and 2001 (Smerlas/Kelly). The way I heard it, Smerlas was the original selection in 2001 -- they wanted to get the pre-Super Bowl players taken care of before entering that era -- but decided they couldn't wait to put Kelly's name up.

As you noted, KRC, all previous Bills Hall of Famers were on the Wall well before they made it to Canton. Tighter window with the potential first-ballot guys, which is why I was a little surprised to see Steve make it ahead of Bruce last year.

I was just as surprised when the Tasker nomination was made. Bruce last year and Van this year. I understand the 'Dre nomination as he was becoming eligible for HOF induction, so it was right to put him in when they did. Same with Thermal. Tasker could have gone in next year. All would have been right with the world.