read any good books lately?

Pete

Go ahead, Ken - be a whore. Hell you ran for President!

:D

Actually, that is VERY cool! :thumbsup:

I think being a whore is a requirement for politics, isn't it? Or was that being with whores? I keep getting that confused. I guess that is why I am no longer in politics. :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished The Shock Doctrine and that was an incredible book! Want to know why every time the IMF or WTO holds a meeting there are massive protests? This book explains it. I am gonna protest the next time they hold a meeting in the north east. The book makes me reevaluate the free market and Milton Friedman policies. Corporations rule the world unfortunately. What is going on in the rebuilding of Iraq is disgusting. And it is nothing new. This sh-- has been going on for some time. This is an important book that all Americans should read

I love every Ken Burn's documentary that he has ever made. The dude understands and appreciates American culture and American history like no one else. I would love to have a beer with Ken and shoot the sh--

He's pretty good, but he does tend to play favorites. He's no real fan of bebop, so his Jazz miniseries was great if you're a purist like Wynton Marsalis (a contributor and featured guest in the miniseries), but not so much if you're a fan of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, or even Miles Davis (who once told Marsalis to "get the **** off the stage" when someone tried to get the two to jam together).

I bought a couple of books for my daughter that I wound up reading. Interesting perspective on Alice in Wonderland. They were called "Looking Glass Wars" and "Seeing Redd" by Frank Beddor. It's written from the concept that what if Alice in Wonderland really happened and was a melding of the real world with the Wonderland World. Not the best books ever written, but just an interesting view.

I found a book I was wanting to read a while back, "The Punch" by John Feinstein, real cheap the other day, so I'm reading that now. The details of just how much damage Kermit Washington did to Rudy T that night are shocking.

Wow what a punch that was! I can imagine the details. Wasn't Rudy out of basketball for a few years?

I see your point with the Ken Burns jazz series. He made a quick reference to Miles and a short piece on Charlie Parker if I recall right. I enjoyed that series, especially the first two episodes where it is explained the beginnings of jazz. I thought Wynton Marsellis did a great job narrating. He is very articulate and likable. I did not realize there was a rift between Brandon and Miles, or a bias. I enjoy all of Burn's other works. I am a PBS junkie(and NPR) and I am always on the lookout for the PBS series on Blues. I have yet to see an episode. PBS rocks!

I never heard that story about Miles and Brandon. I love Miles but he does come across as very moody whenever I hear a story about him

Wow what a punch that was! I can imagine the details. Wasn't Rudy out of basketball for a few years?

I see your point with the Ken Burns jazz series. He made a quick reference to Miles and a short piece on Charlie Parker if I recall right. I enjoyed that series, especially the first two episodes where it is explained the beginnings of jazz. I thought Wynton Marsellis did a great job narrating. He is very articulate and likable. I did not realize there was a rift between Brandon and Miles, or a bias. I enjoy all of Burn's other works. I am a PBS junkie(and NPR) and I am always on the lookout for the PBS series on Blues. I have yet to see an episode. PBS rocks!

I never heard that story about Miles and Brandon. I love Miles but he does come across as very moody whenever I hear a story about him

Miles is my uncle's favorite musician of all time. He owns many of his early works on a pristine vinyl collection he'll never part w/. He's my primary source for all things jazz. He told me 'bout the rift 'tween Miles and Wynton (not Brandon). Miles himself was quoted as calling Wynton, "a nice young man, only confused" in reference to a comment Wynton made of Miles' later fusion work, some of his best work and again something Burns nearly skipped over. His lack of acknowledgement of artists like the late Jaco Pastorius, one of the best bass players ever, is a main reason many people had issues w/ the miniseries.

As for the Punch, well, all I can say is that it was quite horrific to those who were in attendance (guys in the press box were talking 'bout how they could HEAR the punch!) and the sight was pretty gory. Rudy missed more than 5 months recovering from it.

I just finished A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. I am currently reading Living Well by Montel Williams and Live from New York - An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live which is really a well organized chronological collection of anecdotes from people who were "there" from 1975 to 2001 by Tom Shales Shales and James Andrew Miller.

I opened Getting Stronger by Bill Pearle for some pointers before going to the gym this morning.

I also opened the New Testament today for some metaphysical inspiration. :thumbsup:

I just read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

Considering the era it was written it was pretty good. His style is fairly fluid & he creates a nice foreboding atmosphere.

I just finished A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. I am currently reading Living Well by Montel Williams and Live from New York - An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live which is really a well organized chronological collection of anecdotes from people who were "there" from 1975 to 2001 by Tom Shales Shales and James Andrew Miller.

I opened Getting Stronger by Bill Pearle for some pointers before going to the gym this morning.

I also opened the New Testament today for some metaphysical inspiration. :lol:

Man without a country was great stuff - Vonnegut was one of the great American writers.

Here's two good newer fiction authors:

Charlie Huston - Caught Stealing/Six Bad Things/Dangerous Man. This trilogy is great stuff. Think Tarantino meets Bukowski and go from there. His Joe Pitt series is a good read too - vampire noir and it works.

Robert Ferrigno - Prayers for the Assassin + Sins of the Assassin. Set in a post nuclear attack US where the country has become divided into Islamic states and Southern Bible States. Very entertaining reads.

:rolleyes:

I cannot help myself- I am a compulsive reader. I reiterate- read the Naomi Klein book The Shock Doctrine!

I just bought another bunch of books-

Media Control, Second Edition: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda

http://www.amazon.com/Media-Control-Second...s/dp/1583225366

The American Presidency

http://www.amazon.com/American-Presidency-...151/ref=sr_1_26?

ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206249285&sr=1-26

Profit Over People: Neoliberalism & Global Order

http://www.amazon.com/Profit-Over-People-N...d_sim_b_title_4

Dreaming War: Blood for Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta

http://www.amazon.com/Dreaming-War-Blood-C...203&sr=1-14

Decline and Fall of the American Empire

http://www.amazon.com/Decline-Fall-America...9382&sr=1-1

I am anti corporations, anti world bank, anti IMF. anti globalization and anti neoliberalism