Nothing Like a good old song

millbank

I like them, they have a sense of fun.....

:thumbsup: I don't... But:

Never liked FS... Now Dean Martin is another story... I thought FS was too contrived, go figure I like Dean...

I just thought Deano was more of a "genuine person."

Deano

Houston

This in no way is to detract for FS's great accomplishments...

I was hoping it was Zappa. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I'm with ya' JStrange. I never understood the fascination over a mafia crooner with a mediocre voice.

As Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute...

EDITED AT 4:53 ON 3/18: I just re-read my orginial post above and want to apologize, millsie. It reads much harsher than it was intended, especially the Barnum line. Sorry 'bout that - but I'm going to blame that atrocious avatar of yours for throwing me off! :thumbsup:

you will all be sorry they are all likely hearing and reading everything you say.....

Not really slacking FS... I know you like him and he was a wonderful... Not taking anything away... I just never warmed up to his act...

Maybe it is because my grandfather had every Dean Martin album... :thumbsup::thumbsup: For some reason, I hear him and flash back to my grandfather's house in South Wales, New York as a young child too!

I think we all enjoy who and what we enjoy, and need not make any apologies :thumbsup: . I am a little bit surprised as I can remember Sinatra's Main Event from Madison Square Garden, seeing that concert with peoples who spanned the entire age and social economic spectrum. The Man made a great impression in his lifetime.

Not really slacking FS... I know you like him and he was a wonderful... Not taking anything away... I just never warmed up to his act...

Maybe it is because my grandfather had every Dean Martin album... :thumbsup::thumbsup: For some reason, I hear him and flash back to my grandfather's house in South Wales, New York as a young child too!

I think we all enjoy who and what we enjoy, and need not make any apologies :pirate: . I am a little bit surprised as I can remember Sinatra's Main Event from Madison Square Garden, seeing that concert with peoples who spanned the entire age and social economic spectrum. The Man made a great impression in his lifetime.

True! Quite a following...

Dean Martin is to Frank Sinatra, like Duran Duran is to the Beatles..

But, I digress...I am a huge Sinatra fan. It is hard to pick just one song, but a favorite of mine, which, unfortunately, is only available on the "Complete Reprise Years" ( a 20 disc set, if you can afford it!) is called "Monday Morning Quarterback".

I think Sinatra, like Elvis, has become so iconic, that it is easy to forget how great he was. He put out some crap (like Elvis) but his Capitol recordings are some of the best recordings from the pre-rock-n'roll era...he was more than an average crooner...EII, sure you aren't mistaking him for Bing Crosby?

I like Dean Martin, but he was as mediocre a crooner as he can be. Deano is a schtick, who has gained a new respect in this era, in large part, for the schtickiness of his act, and bacuse our cultrue (thanks to Martin Scorsece, Tarantino, etc) has a fascination with that tacky era of Las Vegas entertainers. Sinatra wasn't always a "rat packer"...he was a trail blazer. And, he had a hell of a voice in his prime...

Dean Martin is to Frank Sinatra, like Duran Duran is to the Beatles..

But, I digress...I am a huge Sinatra fan. It is hard to pick just one song, but a favorite of mine, which, unfortunately, is only available on the "Complete Reprise Years" ( a 20 disc set, if you can afford it!) is called "Monday Morning Quarterback".

I think Sinatra, like Elvis, has become so iconic, that it is easy to forget how great he was. He put out some crap (like Elvis) but his Capitol recordings are some of the best recordings from the pre-rock-n'roll era...he was more than an average crooner...EII, sure you aren't mistaking him for Bing Crosby?

I like Dean Martin, but he was as mediocre a crooner as he can be. Deano is a schtick, who has gained a new respect in this era, in large part, for the schtickiness of his act, and bacuse our cultrue (thanks to Martin Scorsece, Tarantino, etc) has a fascination with that tacky era of Las Vegas entertainers. Sinatra wasn't always a "rat packer"...he was a trail blazer. And, he had a hell of a voice in his prime...

No. It must be my douchebag o' meter... Frank Sinatra seemed quite the douchebag out of the whole bunch... To me it is what IMO the singer is feeling inside of them that moves me... I get the impression that FS was just an overall dick and not a very nice guy.

It is all schtick... Every last one of them crooner's...