What Happened to the Beer thread?

The Dean

I tried to post my response and, POOF, the thread was gone...and it didn't even move to the Consumer Products forum. :thumbsup: But, since I went through the trouble of writing it, I MUST post it! So...here:

There are MANY good beers made in North America. But, I think Mr. Banks is noticing that most of the beer SOLD in North America is nothing special (or worse).

I may have to take a little issue over the reason North Americans drink their beer very cold, though. I agree that bad beer goes down better cold and that the practice of serving beer very cold helps to keep crappy beer popular and might minimize the differences in flavor between beers. But, I think part of it also has to do with the fact that refrigeration was much more available/common/ubiquitous in the US than in Europe for years. We (at least Americans) tend to drink many of refreshments colder than other parts of the world.

While I tend to favor the bigger bolder flavors of European beer (or the North American such as those BlueFire mentions), I always prefer those beers ICE COLD. I don't care how good the beer is, warm beer is terrible, IMO. Even "cool" beer is hard for me to swallow.

Of course, I am the same way with pop, Ice Tea and even booze. I love great whiskey, but I want it in a glass packed FULL of ice. I don't like my cognac chilled (I'm not a heathen), but would prefer chilled cognac to warm beer, if I were forced to choose.

It's one of the badges of the Ugly American I do not apologize for. Whenever I am handed a drink with one ice cube or a lukewarm beer I wonder, "Is there some sort of refrigeration crises here? A water shortage? WTF?

Just got home from the store with some crappy hot wings and a heineken draughtkeg...I've been wanting one of these things for a long time, but seems like every time I think about it it's on a Sunday and we can't buy beer :devil: I'm gonna chill this beyotch nice and cold and pour myself a few brewskis later on...yep, drinkin' alone, baby!!!!

Just got home from the store with some crappy hot wings and a heineken draughtkeg...I've been wanting one of these things for a long time, but seems like every time I think about it it's on a Sunday and we can't buy beer :devil: I'm gonna chill this beyotch nice and cold and pour myself a few brewskis later on...yep, drinkin' alone, baby!!!!

Can't buy beer on Sunday? You should move to Wisconsin; you can buy it in the grocery store here! ;)

I know you didn't just say "hot wings".

Can't buy beer on Sunday? You should move to Wisconsin; you can buy it in the grocery store here! :devil:

You can buy it at the grocery stores here, too, but not on Sunday, and not after 11p at night...I hate it.

You can buy it at the grocery stores here, too, but not on Sunday, and not after 11p at night...I hate it.

Yeah, it pisses me off too. Some of the stores actually *rope off* the alcohol isle. It's actually been an issue again lately, our hillbilly governor is adamant that it's the wrong thing to do and the ban should continue... You can't even get a beer with dinner on Sunday in some towns. It's 'bout time we chat evolution, eh AJ?

I've been tempted to go try to buy communion wine on Sunday morning, and tell 'em it's for Mass. I need to buy it on Sunday so I can take it to church. Religious reasons! :devil:

Yeah, it pisses me off too. Some of the stores actually *rope off* the alcohol isle. It's actually been an issue again lately, our hillbilly governor is adamant that it's the wrong thing to do and the ban should continue... You can't even get a beer with dinner on Sunday in some towns. It's 'bout time we chat evolution, eh AJ?

I've been tempted to go try to buy communion wine on Sunday morning, and tell 'em it's for Mass. I need to buy it on Sunday so I can take it to church. Religious reasons! :devil:

;)

I never thought of playing the Catholic card...that's pretty smart! Maybe if we become vocal enough and start accusing them of religious discrimination we'd get somewhere ;)

:devil:

I never thought of playing the Catholic card...that's pretty smart! Maybe if we become vocal enough and start accusing them of religious discrimination we'd get somewhere ;)

I doubt playing the Catholic card down south will get you anywhere.

I doubt playing the Catholic card down south will get you anywhere.

Southern "Babtists" would tend to disagree...they'll be the first to tell you that being Catholic will get you a one way ticket to HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!

Southern "Babtists" would tend to disagree...they'll be the first to tell you that being Catholic will get you a one way ticket to HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!

That's what I'm saying. If anything, telling someone you are a Catholic in the south will get you banned from the store for life, not given alcohol.

That's what I'm saying. If anything, telling someone you are a Catholic in the south will get you banned from the store for life, not given alcohol.

This is true :devil:

I've been tempted to go try to buy communion wine on Sunday morning, and tell 'em it's for Mass. I need to buy it on Sunday so I can take it to church. Religious reasons! ;)

You can get a bottle of Jack or whatever in a gas station here in IL...

:devil:

I tried to post my response and, POOF, the thread was gone...and it didn't even move to the Consumer Products forum. :devil: But, since I went through the trouble of writing it, I MUST post it! So...here:

There are MANY good beers made in North America. But, I think Mr. Banks is noticing that most of the beer SOLD in North America is nothing special (or worse).

I may have to take a little issue over the reason North Americans drink their beer very cold, though. I agree that bad beer goes down better cold and that the practice of serving beer very cold helps to keep crappy beer popular and might minimize the differences in flavor between beers. But, I think part of it also has to do with the fact that refrigeration was much more available/common/ubiquitous in the US than in Europe for years. We (at least Americans) tend to drink many of refreshments colder than other parts of the world.

While I tend to favor the bigger bolder flavors of European beer (or the North American such as those BlueFire mentions), I always prefer those beers ICE COLD. I don't care how good the beer is, warm beer is terrible, IMO. Even "cool" beer is hard for me to swallow.

Of course, I am the same way with pop, Ice Tea and even booze. I love great whiskey, but I want it in a glass packed FULL of ice. I don't like my cognac chilled (I'm not a heathen), but would prefer chilled cognac to warm beer, if I were forced to choose.

It's one of the badges of the Ugly American I do not apologize for. Whenever I am handed a drink with one ice cube or a lukewarm beer I wonder, "Is there some sort of refrigeration crises here? A water shortage? WTF?

I concur. I love Heineken on ice but a warm Heineken is nasty. The key to a good drink is a lot of booze and a lot of ice. Cheers!

But there are some advantages. When I go fishing I always bring two Baptists with me. If you only bring one he will drink all of your beer. If you bring two neither one will drink anything.

But there are some advantages. When I go fishing I always bring two Baptists with me. If you only bring one he will drink all of your beer. If you bring two neither one will drink anything.

Same goes for Mormons I hear.

I've been thinking of putting one of those "Happiness is a Northbound Yankee" stickers on my car, right next to my Bills plate. :devil:

There's actually a somewhat large Catholic population down here. First off, we've got a lot of transplants. Lots of the churches have to give tickets for Midnight Mass on Christmas. Then, of course, we've got El Miso en Espanol. Now, I can probably name all of the Catholic churches within a 50 miles radius without much effort, but they're always packed!

I trust it was nice and cold.

Deanster, there are beers that need to be served warmer to bring out their flavors better (such as 60ish F), like Barley Wines, Abt, Imperial Stouts, etc. Cask conditioned pints are generally served around 55ish.

Now, if you tend to like stuff colder than normal, drinking a Barley Wine at around 50F or so would still be pretty good, but the taste changes greatly (and becomes much worse) when you get colder than that.

Deanster, there are beers that need to be served warmer to bring out their flavors better (such as 60ish F), like Barley Wines, Abt, Imperial Stouts, etc. Cask conditioned pints are generally served around 55ish.

Now, if you tend to like stuff colder than normal, drinking a Barley Wine at around 50F or so would still be pretty good, but the taste changes greatly (and becomes much worse) when you get colder than that.

I know that's how you are "supposed" to drink those, but they taste like crap to me, if they aren't cold. I love Imperial Stout...but ICE COLD. There are more flavors, perhaps,at a warmer temperature, but the loss of "refreshment value" is not a trade I care to make.

Same thing with small batch whiskey. We are told to drink them neat, or with one small ice cube...RUBBISH! Give my my booze in glass FULL of ice (preferably crushed ice).

But, hey, that's me.

I always thought that. Don't know what my grandfather (he was Polish) drank?? I was born in 1968 and he died in 1969... Like I said, from what my grandmother said, he would literally heat (actually warm, not cook) his beer in the oven at a low temp... For a little bit... I wonder what it tasted like? And again, what kinda beer?? At that time, I take there were a bunch of BFLO breweries still around?

??

I always thought that. Don't know what my grandfather (he was Polish) drank?? I was born in 1968 and he died in 1969... Like I said, from what my grandmother said, he would literally heat (actually warm, not cook) his beer in the oven at a low temp... For a little bit... I wonder what it tasted like? And again, what kinda beer?? At that time, I take there were a bunch of BFLO breweries still around?

??

Depends. Some dark ales can be served heated. These are typically called "Mulled Ales", and a lot of times are thought of as Winter beers. A lot of dark, spiced beers can be heated as well.

Depends. Some dark ales can be served heated. These are typically called "Mulled Ales", and a lot of times are thought of as Winter beers. A lot of dark, spiced beers can be heated as well.

I am just trying to imagine what kinda beer my grandfather would use... Heck, this had to be up through the 50's and 60's?

He was no afficanado... He died of a massive heart attack at about 52! ;):blink:

What would he do?... Stick a Simon Pure (ale) or Iroquois in the tank of an oven my grandmother used!

:devil:;)