Macolm Kelly @ #11?????

Takeo_14

Now I am not one to put to much into a 40 time. But Malcolm Kelly has to run a good 40 to solidify a top 20 pick much less at #11. So if he turns in a slow 40 then what? Then it is either him or Limas Sweed. They are both very similar and both are hurt!!!!! We may end up going CB or IMO we should trade down in the first round. What can we get for the #11 pick?

Now I am not one to put to much into a 40 time. But Malcolm Kelly has to run a good 40 to solidify a top 20 pick much less at #11. So if he turns in a slow 40 then what? Then it is either him or Limas Sweed. They are both very similar and both are hurt!!!!! We may end up going CB or IMO we should trade down in the first round. What can we get for the #11 pick?

I for one would be incredibly disappointed if we go with a CB in the first. The Bills may do this because their habit has been to pick the guy they judge to be good at his position on the first day even if there is no perceived need there (such as the 3rd round picks of Youbouty and Edwards though in both these cases a need at these spots quickly emerged if only due to injury).

In the case of a CB such a pick would actually be welcomed by many Bills faithful, though actually my sense is that in the short-term this would essentially be a wasted 1st round pick for us as the CB in the Cover 2 the way we play it relatively rarely covers the WR all over the field, We would pay through the nose for a potential shut down CB and then pretty much fail to use him this way unless we plan to turn our D style on its head.

Even worse, there are those who are running scared at CB out of fear what WRs like Moss and Welker will do to us in this pass happy league. Quite frankly it is simply foolish to think that a rookie CB unless he is the rebirth of Deion Sanders is going to be able to do much with vets like Moss and Welker. Our shutdown CB is not going to be the key to defending against these two, but just as it happened in the SB, the key is actually to get consistent pressure on Brady and to make him land on his butt as much as you can.

Not only would this CB we spent a mint on not even cover the WR on the majority of plays, but when he is called on, Moss and Welker would be licking their chops to go against a rookie rather McGee or whoever wins the battle for #2 CB.

We might draft a CB in the first as this would satisfy a lot of the media or fans with a superficial knowledge of the game, but I will be disappointed if this is the move as it really will be a waste of a valuable resource which I hope we can expend on solving an immediate need.

A great CB would help us do better containment on outside runs and if the player chosen has a good press coverage rep he lives us to it will help our D, but it really is a fantasy for folks to assert that a great CB will be drafted who will do much to help us cover WRs all over the field.

The only thing that seems to be missing from Kelly's game is crisp route running. After watching him on film, he was leaps and bounds better than any of the 12 other guys mentioned in the first 3 rounds. He is built like an athlete and given a few years to learn and progress, can be true top 5 receiver.

Sweed looks like a #2 guy on film. He runs sharper routes than Kelly, but doesn't "flow" into transitional moves. He looks like he may catch on to things a bit quicker, but Kelly gets me excited when I watch him on tape. Sweed leaves me saying, "He'll probably be ok."

My fear is that Kelly comes in at the 4.4-4.49 level and we lose our chance to pick him. The way he looks in film, I don't think he'll be a 4.6+ guy. I'm hoping he runs in the upper 4.5's in order to justify an early pick, but not give any other teams crazy ideas.

The thing that worries me about Kelly is that he is also hurt. Still hurt from the season in which he could not even play in the bowl game for OU.

I am crosssing my fingers that we can trade down in the first and at that point take Kelly or Sweed and then still get a top corner at the back end of the first. I have read that the CB class and Wr are very deep this year.

The thing that worries me about Kelly is that he is also hurt. Still hurt from the season in which he could not even play in the bowl game for OU.

I am crosssing my fingers that we can trade down in the first and at that point take Kelly or Sweed and then still get a top corner at the back end of the first. I have read that the CB class and Wr are very deep this year.

So let me get this straight...his nagging injury is a GOOD thing? :lol:

No WR in this draft is good enough to be taken in the top 15 (if not top 20). The mock drafts have us taking a WR because that is the position that we have the biggest need for, and the fact that the best players at our other need positions probubly wont fall to #11.

Though the bills do have a history of taking, reaching, for the guy they want higher than the "experts" think he should go.

No WR in this draft is good enough to be taken in the top 15 (if not top 20)..

That is a very subjective statement.

The players that will be picked in short order after the big 6 (both Longs, Dorsey, Ellis, McFadden and Gholston) will most likely be Clady, Stewart, Rivers, Merling, Harvey, Ryan, McKelvin, Mendenhall, Phillips, Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie.

What makes ANY of these guys anymore worthy of being in the top 15 than Malcom Kelly? Kelly has just as good of a college resume as any one of those guys. Plus he's got the size, hands and athletic skills that at first glance should translate VERY well to the pro game. I think you are very wrong in that opinion. I even think that Sweed has just as good a chance as those same guys I mentioned. The prospects even out after the "big" names go off the board.