Pell Grants: Truth Shows in Fin. Aid slips

Illinois State U. student newspaper -- 26 April 2004

As students begin receiving their financial aid award letters, many are seeing the affects of the proposed shortage in federal Pell Grant funding.

"The problem with the Pell Grant is that they always authorize an amount of money for grants, but how much actually goes out depends on the budget," Assistant Director of Financial Aid David Krueger said.

This growing problem has been felt across the country, with many national newspapers reporting the shortage in the millions of dollars.

"The problem is that the amount of money given out has stayed steady while tuition and fees have steadily gone up," Krueger said.

"It's not like they are going backwards, it's just always how it has been," he added.

The year after Bush entered office, my Pell Grant went from $1,600/year to $0. The family financial situation did not change appreciably. Informal questioning at the time, almost everyone I asked said they were getting less or none at all.

Tuition bills and ancillary costs of college are already sky-high w/o losing sources of funds. No Child Left Behind, indeed.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, Mr. Bush.

I am against the Pell Grant.  It's not fair to those who serve in the military and earn their GI Bill.  If the Pell Grant required you to community service for it, that would be a different story.

69376[/snapback]

And they contribute their own money and service to the GI Bill (must be discharged honorably to use it). Tuition Assistance isn't even 100% for military folks and they have to WORK to be eligible to receive it.

Whaaaaaa! I can't get free money from the government. Guess why tuition keeps skyrocketing?

The year after Bush entered office, my Pell Grant went from $1,600/year to $0. The family financial situation did not change appreciably. Informal questioning at the time, almost everyone I asked said they were getting less or none at all.

Tuition bills and ancillary costs of college are already sky-high w/o losing sources of funds. No Child Left Behind, indeed.

69321[/snapback]

There are many factors to the Pell Grant. One of them is that there is a limited amount available. It is given to the most needy first and then they go up the ladder until the funds are depleted. It has as much to do with timing as well. First come first serve.

It may be very possible that your situation did not change at all, but it may also be true that many more needy families applied for the funds.

Bottom line is, that over 1 million new users took advantage of the Pell grant money.

I am against the Pell Grant.  It's not fair to those who serve in the military and earn their GI Bill.  If the Pell Grant required you to community service for it, that would be a different story.

69376[/snapback]

Not everyone can serve in the military, but I don't think playing Hurry-Up-And-Wait is the only contribution to society that merits financial aid. The people who receive Pell Grants are your future doctors, biologists, chemists, journalists, teachers, librarians, politicians (such as they are), business owners, middle managers, and every other occupation that helps this economy and society function efficiently. Make college less affordable and you'll soon see the GDP lower and the economy and your life not function as well as it could. The federal gov't realizes this; that's why it's funded.

Same thing here w/ UConn 2000 and 21st Century UConn. You have to put money in to get money out. And right now, it's paying dividends for the state.

There are many factors to the Pell Grant. One of them is that there is a limited amount available. It is given to the most needy first and then they go up the ladder until the funds are depleted.

Bottom line is, that over 1 million new users took advantage of the Pell grant money.

Sounds like many more families financial situation have declined so that they are now eligible to try for this grant.

Sounds like many more families financial situation have declined so that they are now eligible to try for this grant.

69976[/snapback]

No Richio didnt mean that it would be admitting that more people are poorer than before :(

Not everyone can serve in the military, but I don't think playing Hurry-Up-And-Wait is the only contribution to society that merits financial aid. The people who receive Pell Grants are your future doctors, biologists, chemists, journalists, teachers, librarians, politicians (such as they are), business owners, middle managers, and every other occupation that helps this economy and society function efficiently. Make college less affordable and you'll soon see the GDP lower and the economy and your life not function as well as it could. The federal gov't realizes this; that's why it's funded.

Same thing here w/ UConn 2000 and 21st Century UConn. You have to put money in to get money out. And right now, it's paying dividends for the state.

69409[/snapback]

I've seen doctors and lawyers in the National Guard. It's not a bad deal... the guard pays off a good chunk of your tuition in return for you being a "weekend warrior". I did 4 years in the guard after I got off of active duty; it's an alternative for those who don't want large school bills.

I believe in giving every person the opportunity to go to college through a low or no interest loan. The pell grant gives free money to anybody who wants to apply for it, and then asks nothing in return. I don't see the benefits in having a welfare system in place for college.

69321[/snapback]

What makes you think other people have to pay for your education?

Why don't you send me a check to pay for my heating bills?

I've seen doctors and lawyers in the National Guard.  It's not a bad deal... the guard pays off a good chunk of your tuition in return for you being a "weekend warrior".  I did 4 years in the guard after I got off of active duty; it's an alternative for those who don't want large school bills.

I believe in giving every person the opportunity to go to college through a low or no interest loan.    The pell grant gives free money to anybody who wants to apply for it, and then asks nothing in return.  I don't see the benefits in having a welfare system in place for college.

70222[/snapback]

The benefits are driving up the costs for everyone else, ensuring the educational elite will be able to afford better cars and yachts.

What makes you think other people have to pay for your education?

Why don't you send me a check to pay for my heating bills?

70253[/snapback]

Because everyone should get anything they want. You rich ba$stard don't you know there are people that have no heat.

So Pell grants are welfare now? Basic economics is that you have to create incentives for people to buy your product. You guys apparently don't believe in promoting education THAT PAYS FOR ITSELF AND A LOT MORE IN THE GDP!!!! Look at it in the macrocosm.

The cost of college in real money cost has gone up double-digit percentages in the past couple of decades despite programs that remain unchanged. Any grants given are tantamount to auto dealers advertising $4,000 cash back to make you believe they're giving you a deal. If you want to get rid of Pell Grants, reduce tuition costs back to the real cost!

Actually your situation must be unique because if you check factcheck.org, they state that while congress is considering cuting back next year, pell grant funds and people getting them are up. Don't believe everything your moron candidate says. And just because you weren't helped doesn't mean millions others weren't. Sometimes it only takes a few extra dollars that you didn't know about to not be qualified.

So Pell grants are welfare now? Basic economics is that you have to create incentives for people to buy your product. You guys apparently don't believe in promoting education THAT PAYS FOR ITSELF AND A LOT MORE IN THE GDP!!!! Look at it in the macrocosm.

The cost of college in real money cost has gone up double-digit percentages in the past couple of decades despite programs that remain unchanged. Any grants given are tantamount to auto dealers advertising $4,000 cash back to make you believe they're giving you a deal. If you want to get rid of Pell Grants, reduce tuition costs back to the real cost!

70490[/snapback]

So now it's the federal governments problem that tuition has gone up. Explain to me when education funding has increased 60% over the last 3 years how? Also, please tell me what college you go to that is a federal college. Last i checked there were three. Military Academy, Naval Acadamy, and the Air Force Acadmey, all are free tuition, room and board.

Thats what I thought. Go talk to your state legislature and governor.

Of course on the other end, we heard buftex lamenting budget cuts at his university, and probably wouldn't mind bigger tuition increases to hike the admin budget.

Welcome to the real world of allocating too few resources among multiple constituencies.

So now it's the federal governments problem that tuition has gone up.  Explain to me when education funding has increased 60% over the last 3 years how?  Also, please tell me what college you go to that is a federal college.  Last i checked there were three.  Military Academy, Naval Acadamy, and the Air Force Acadmey, all are free tuition, room and board. 

Thats what I thought.  Go talk to your state legislature and governor.

70502[/snapback]

More people are going to college. Govt calls this a higher standard of living, which was an established goal when the Founders created the Treasury Dept. You don't seem to want to hear that, longterm, this money is more than made up for in the increased GDP when you have a more educated workforce!

Actually, yeah it is the fed govt's "fault." But I guess by your immediate-bottom-line of thinking it wouldn't be the federal govt's fault. The federal funding UConn got in 2001, 2002 decreased unexpectedly by about $100 million that was used for the operations budget. They made cutbacks everywhere they could and then raised tuition by about $800/year, which you might not think is much, but then again college students aren't you. I can tell you from experience, even that much can be the difference in being able to go to college or not. I actually took a class with the president of the U about this and other issues.

This state HAS done a lot to promote the growth of UConn, over $2B when all is said and done to make capital and infrastructure improvements. It's gone up among the top 25 public universities. But it's also generating a lot of dividends back to the state, region and country. Which is another reason why some federal funding is given, and that being what was cut which raised tuition. So unless you limit enrollment to state residents only, which I believe is illegal, other areas than this state are getting the benefits that simply charging out-of-state tuition cost doesn't make up for.

"Take at hazard one hundred children of several educated generations and one hundred uneducated children of the people and compare them in anything you please; in strength, in agility, in mind, in the ability to acquire knowledge, even in morality—and in all respects you are startled by the vast superiority on the side of the children of the uneducated."

— Count Leo Tolstoy, "Education and Children" (1862)

"Take at hazard one hundred children of several educated generations and one hundred uneducated children of the people and compare them in anything you please; in strength, in agility, in mind, in the ability to acquire knowledge, even in morality—and in all respects you are startled by the vast superiority on the side of the children of the uneducated."

— Count Leo Tolstoy, "Education and Children" (1862)

70550[/snapback]

1862? The world has undergone a few changes since then. I have nothing against hard work being meaningful and teaching values; my mum scrubs toilets and showers at the U. And does so b/c it's created a better life for her sons who appreciated all she sacrificed, and work hard in return. But hey, let's go back to the days of dirt roads and horses, barefoot children while papa drives in the herd for cashmoney, and cold outhouses in the winter. We can burn the computers for heat.

Why does every topic always steer to the $2.5 trillion and that federal spending is the evil of all evils? Not saying taxes are great, but they're necessary to promote programs that improve the quality of life in this country. Yeah, there's a lot of pork barrel spending that is unecessary and wrong. But Pell Grants are well worth the investment. Or will you disagree no matter how beneficial they are b/c it costs money to make money?

1862? The world has undergone a few changes since then. I have nothing against hard work being meaningful and teaching values; my mum scrubs toilets and showers at the U. And does so b/c it's created a better life for her sons who appreciated all she sacrificed. But hey, let's go back to the days of dirt roads and horses, barefoot children while papa drives in the herd for cashmoney, and cold outhouses in the winter. We can burn the computers for heat.

Why does every topic always steer to the $2.5 trillion and that federal spending is the evil of all evils? Not saying taxes are great, but they're necessary to promote programs that improve the quality of life in this country. Yeah, there's a lot of pork barrel spending that is unecessary and wrong. But Pell Grants are well worth the investment. Or will you disagree no matter how beneficial they are?

70562[/snapback]

Jeez must be nice to get all this stuff for free huh. Yeah I had to go join the Marine Corps and learn how to kill people because I couldn't afford to go to college, and I didn't know about government handouts for free stuff because my guidance couselor wa inept. But I will tell you I work hard, always have, earn damn good money and I sure the hell hate when snot nosed little punks think it is their !@#$ing right to take my money to pay for their college education because they are too !@#$ing lazy to work and go to school at the same time. All of the other chilren in my family have multiple degrees and all of thm did it by working part time, and getting student loans that they paid back.

Don't preach to me that you think I, via the government, owe it to you to get a degree. !@#$ you.