Guns, Guns, Guns

But the gun lobby will say there are enough laws, they just need to be enforced. But then the administration and the previous Congress wouldn't continue the Cops program to put more police on the street to enforce the laws. And then they wanted to build more jails, but wouldn't fund afterschool programs to try to keep kids from turning to criminal activities. And so the vicious circle continues and nothing changes.

I saw a sign the other day in front of a house down here. it said "A shotgun watches this house 3 nights a week. Its up to YOU to guess which ones." You can bet your ass that house has never been robbed.

Just some interesting statistics to ponder:

Firearm deaths 1994-97

on the average 34, 000 people a year which means as a country we have 3 Virginia Tech massacres a day.

The debate is no guns vs. more guns, but regardless, today's laws don't seem to be working...

Wow! That's eleven 9-11's a year! Time to call a terror alert!

Maybe its because I went to the Holcomb's Arm school of statistics but don't these numbers show that the number of deaths decrease every year while the population has gone up? So does that mean that the laws are working?

Also, it seems difficult to draw a conclusion about today's gun laws while citing stats from the last decade.

Maybe its because I went to the Holcomb's Arm school of statistics but don't these numbers show that the number of deaths decrease every year while the population has gone up? So does that mean that the laws are working?

Also, it seems difficult to draw a conclusion about today's gun laws while citing stats from the last decade.

those were the most recent I could find, pal.

haven't done any extensive research yet :blink:

I saw a sign the other day in front of a house down here. it said "A shotgun watches this house 3 nights a week. Its up to YOU to guess which ones." You can bet your ass that house has never been robbed.

Pretty boring standing in front of your door holding a shot gun in your hand.

Fact is, most people who own firearms don't even know how to use them.

Shouldn't it have been 3.5 nights a week? That's one time that number would have made sense.

Just some interesting statistics to ponder:

Firearm deaths 1994-97

on the average 34, 000 people a year which means as a country we have 3 Virginia Tech massacres a day.

The debate is no guns vs. more guns, but regardless, today's laws don't seem to be working...

How's the drug war going?

Nearly 45,000 motorcyclists and pedestrians are killed in America every year. Oh the humanity.

People die. Sometimes for reasons that suck. No amount of government is EVER going to change that.

Yep..Gun control working here in Australia.... :beer:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/buybac...1455665717.html

Half a Billion...Yes BILLION spent for nothing!

How many guns were around before the buyback? I honestly dont know and for the record I am pro gun ownership. But, theres a big difference in the study if 600,000 out of 800,000 were bought as opposed to 600,000 out of 8,000,000.

"Aren't home invasions up?"

There've been a few here......Can't really say whether they are up or down....but there is a serious crime problem here in Alice Springs...2 murders last week...1 with an axe...none with a gun....in a town of 25,000!!!

The Chief Minister of the Northern Territory (our equivilent of a State Governer) visited here and was booed and heavily protested because of the rising crime. I tell you one thing....there is no fear of punishment here...they're sentancing here is very liberal compared to the states....not saying a change in gun laws would help but it wouldn't hurt either.

"How many guns were around before the buyback? I honestly dont know and for the record I am pro gun ownership. But, theres a big difference in the study if 600,000 out of 800,000 were bought as opposed to 600,000 out of 8,000,000."

Most of the buyback was semi-auto rifles and any handguns.

You can't own semi-auto rifles here and handguns....what a pain in the azz!! I'm doing just to prove a point but it's a long process.

1. You have to have a safe ... Not something I disagree with

2. You have a 3 month probation period with a gun club....if they like you they recommend you for a license.

3. after they recommend you...you can get a license....30 dollars a year...

4. once you have your license you must shoot competitively 11 times a year.

5. after you get your license you cannot purchase a pistol for 6 months. after that 1 a year i believe.

6. at any time the police can enter your premisis to ensure that your firearms are in the safe or not out for any unauthorized reason.!

Most of the buyback was semi-auto rifles and any handguns.

You can't own semi-auto rifles here and handguns....what a pain in the azz!! I'm doing just to prove a point but it's a long process.

1. You have to have a safe ... Not something I disagree with

2. You have a 3 month probation period with a gun club....if they like you they recommend you for a license.

3. after they recommend you...you can get a license....30 dollars a year...

4. once you have your license you must shoot competitively 11 times a year.

5. after you get your license you cannot purchase a pistol for 6 months. after that 1 a year i believe.

6. at any time the police can enter your premisis to ensure that your firearms are in the safe or not out for any unauthorized reason.!

Bolded for wtf?

Oh and I was really just curious as to the stats as at one point I was halfway decent at them and hate when they are misused.

Fact is, most people who own firearms don't even know how to use them.

Most guns aren't that complicated to operate Mohambi. Maintenance may require a small bit of knowledge but we're not talking about solving the Rubik's Cube here; loading and firing the average firearm is about as easy as changing toilet paper.

How many guns were around before the buyback? I honestly dont know and for the record I am pro gun ownership. But, theres a big difference in the study if 600,000 out of 800,000 were bought as opposed to 600,000 out of 8,000,000.
I tried to find the answer but all I come up with is the figures bought back, not out of how many.

not saying a change in gun laws would help but it wouldn't hurt either.
What I meant here was a loosening of the gun laws. It's very difficult to own a handgun here.