The Vultures are circling at VT

ACor58

All of the major networks were broadcasting their moring shows live from the campus. Do you think that the News chiefs slap each other high fives when something tragic like this happens?

"Get the Today show team to Blacksburg...Stat, send Roker too! We can exploit every poor kid that we can on this campus, especially the students that were in the classrooms. Try and find one that was shot...MOVE PEOPLE!"

I flipped to MSNBC after the Sabres, they were actually interviewing two kids last night, one with his arm in a sling that had been shot. These poor kids were still in shock. After about 5 minutes I had to change the channel, makes me sick. Also, did anyone see Diane Sawyer's interview with the President of VT, basically putting the guy on trial for not locking down 26,000 students after an apparent murder suicide? I have lost all respect for her.

Let's see...why don't we get Imus to go down...little penance for the nappy haired ho thing...Could we get DanniLynne and her dad to reflect on the tragedy? Brittany to sing at the memorial service? How about a little American Idol karaoke?

Hello, Mrs. Blank? This is Mr. Avarice from the law firm of blankety-blank calling to express our sorrow. I know money can't replace your loss, but when you have a chance to reflect on this tragic incident you'll probably have some questions regarding your legal rights and we stand ready to assist you in any way we can. You can find our office number and email on the card attached to the flowers our firm is sending to the funeral home.

I'm so and so from the non-profit organization SAFE Campus...our lawyers and ex fbi folks can analyze this situation...point fingers..serve as expert witnesses on either or both sides of this terrible tragedy to insure that the victims are compensated and protect the university from avaricious lawyers trying to monopolize on this horror.

Let's see...why don't we get Imus to go down...little penance for the nappy haired ho thing...Could we get DanniLynne and her dad to reflect on the tragedy? Brittany to sing at the memorial service? How about a little American Idol karaoke?

Hello, Mrs. Blank? This is Mr. Avarice from the law firm of blankety-blank calling to express our sorrow. I know money can't replace your loss, but when you have a chance to reflect on this tragic incident you'll probably have some questions regarding your legal rights and we stand ready to assist you in any way we can. You can find our office number and email on the card attached to the flowers our firm is sending to the funeral home.

I'm so and so from the non-profit organization SAFE Campus...our lawyers and ex fbi folks can analyze this situation...point fingers..serve as expert witnesses on either or both sides of this terrible tragedy to insure that the victims are compensated and protect the university from avaricious lawyers trying to monopolize on this horror.

That would never happen. :thumbsup:

Or, how about when the networks were interviewing the kids from Bluffton University? These kids had just went through this 24 hrs earlier and they are asking about what happened and what kid X was like.

Some level of sensibility or dignity would be nice. (Oops, there I go thinking logically again.)

All of the major networks were broadcasting their moring shows live from the campus. Do you think that the News chiefs slap each other high fives when something tragic like this happens?

"Get the Today show team to Blacksburg...Stat, send Roker too! We can exploit every poor kid that we can on this campus, especially the students that were in the classrooms. Try and find one that was shot...MOVE PEOPLE!"

I flipped to MSNBC after the Sabres, they were actually interviewing two kids last night, one with his arm in a sling that had been shot. These poor kids were still in shock. After about 5 minutes I had to change the channel, makes me sick. Also, did anyone see Diane Sawyer's interview with the President of VT, basically putting the guy on trial for not locking down 26,000 students after an apparent murder suicide? I have lost all respect for her.

Just an observation, but you sure seem to be watching an awful lot of this "coverage".

I'm very impressed with this Derek O'Dell, who is being hailed as a hero for barricading one of the classrooms. I believe he was the kid with his arm in the sling (he was shot in the right arm). Well-spoken young man, but you can tell that the enormity of everything that has happened has not yet hit him. Mr. O'Dell will need time, and plenty of it, to grieve.

I can understand your mindset regarding the media vultures. The story, however, has to be reported. Thirty-two people, minding their own business at a picturesque school in the Blue Ridge on a cold Monday morning, are dead. And no one knows why.

What I can't stand is the second guessing. I heard it last night on local radio here...why weren't classes cancelled? Why weren't students notified earlier? Why wasn't more done?

Are the leaders at VT supposed to turn their school into a freakin' armed camp? I think, considering the circumstances, the campus leaders and police did everything they could. No one could have predicted something like this.

We've become a nation of second-guessers. And it isn't just sports anymore. We all feel like our lives should be perfect and that we should be protected one hundred percent of the time. It's become an entitlement. But life throws us too many curveballs and variables that expose our vulnerability...and we blame those who we think should have "done something" about it.

When nothing, really, can be done at all.

Yes, they definitely high five.

Imus was a week early. If he said 'nappy-headed hoe' last night, he'd be in the clear.....

They most DEFINATELY celebrate....as I posted in another thread...buddy of mine worked for MSNBC...and when Princess Di was killed..he noticed the newsroom was glowing, and there were a few high fives, gloating "we have news for the next several days"

They are sick. Good post ACor, glad someone sees the truth.

What none of you have seen happening the last 24 hours is every media outlet's advertising department on the phones with their accounts.

"Let's cut away now to our Chevrolet Massacre Moment of the Day. Brought to you exclusively by Chevrolet, because everyone knows a psychotic Asian murderer wouldn't be caught dead in an American-made truck."

What I can't stand is the second guessing. I heard it last night on local radio here...why weren't classes cancelled? Why weren't students notified earlier? Why wasn't more done?

Are the leaders at VT supposed to turn their school into a freakin' armed camp? I think, considering the circumstances, the campus leaders and police did everything they could. No one could have predicted something like this.

We've become a nation of second-guessers. And it isn't just sports anymore. We all feel like our lives should be perfect and that we should be protected one hundred percent of the time. It's become an entitlement. But life throws us too many curveballs and variables that expose our vulnerability...and we blame those who we think should have "done something" about it.

When nothing, really, can be done at all.

You think it's bad now, just wait until the "heroic" victims become symbols of the VT administration's "incompetence".

What none of you have seen happening the last 24 hours is every media outlet's advertising department on the phones with their accounts.

"Let's cut away now to our Toyota Massacre Moment of the Day. Brought to you exclusively by Chevrolet, because everyone knows a psychotic Asian murderer wouldn't be caught dead in an American-made truck."

Fixed your post. Toyota goes to great lengths to tell us their trucks are made in the U.S.A.

Waaaaay back when, when there were some tariffs on imported pick-up trucks, Toyota built a truck bed plant in California...in Fremont or Van Nuys, I forget which.

They shipped chassis cabs, and then installed the Cali-made beds, thus skirting law.

That tariff came about because of the so-called "Chicken War". :lol:

Long before Toyota's two-step, the Europeans stuck tariffs on U.S. poultry imports. The U.S. fought back via the imported truck tariff. Not that there were many European pick-ups...VW had an open-bed version of the Microbus, but it was no longer imported when the tariff was imposed. You used to be able to buy Vanagon open-bed models in Canada, though...but they could not be registered here.

"Let's cut away now to our Chevrolet Massacre Moment of the Day. Brought to you exclusively by Chevrolet, because everyone knows a psychotic Asian murderer wouldn't be caught dead in an American-made truck."

Don't support Asian terrorism. Buy American.

Just an observation, but you sure seem to be watching an awful lot of this "coverage".

I was waiting for someone to say that. I watched all of two minutes of MSNBC last night, and typically watch GMA when I am getting ready in the morning, regardless. However, after noticing that every media whore was not just covering, but reporting live, I went to Mike and Mike in the morning.

Bill Powers, the current President of UT, sent out an email to the campus today. It devoted 2 paragraphs for expressing remorse about the Va Tech situation, and then 4 long paragraphs basically reassuring everyone here that the University of Texas at Austin is safe. I think its quite sad that in this situation people are so quick to point fingers and play "the blame game", especially in a situation where the University seemingly reacted as it should have.

Of course, I was equally appalled when my dad yesterday sent me an email saying basically "Did you see what happened at Virginia Tech? Its probably terrorists. Keep an eye out at your school and stay safe".

There is this idea in American culture (and perpetuated by the media and other sources) that our lives should be free from tragedy and danger. If they aren't then someone/something messed up, as if society will ever be perfect. What a crock - the only way that is even possible is by removing any and all freedom (and thereby removing opportunity).

Of course, I was equally appalled when my dad yesterday sent me an email saying basically "Did you see what happened at Virginia Tech? Its probably terrorists. Keep an eye out at your school and stay safe".

Terrorists, huh?

I had a conversation with my dad on the phone and he brought up the VT mess...He said, "It was probably Marcus Vick."

I thought Brittany Spears Virginia Tech karaoke was bad enough. Now George W and Laura are coming to gain kudos for decrying senseless violence resulting in the death of innocent people...well...at least in Virginia.

Right. And a banner at the top of Hillary's website where people can send wishes to the Rutger's basketball team because of Imus' comments was nothing but sincerity on her behalf. :lol: :lol:

Plus, if the president wasn't there, about how long would it take for you to start bitching that the President should be there and is turning his back on the country? How about a freaking nanosecond...

I thought Brittany Spears Virginia Tech karaoke was bad enough. Now George W and Laura are coming to gain kudos for decrying senseless violence resulting in the death of innocent people...well...at least in Virginia.

And I'm sure you wouldn't criticize President Bush if he decided to say nothing about yesterday's killings. :lol:

I'd be "appalled" if my dad told me to stay safe on campus on a day like yesterday too. :lol:

And who didn't at least consider the possibility that it was terrorists when the report was that the shooter(s) had locked students in the buildings and opened fire?

Right. And a banner at the top of Hillary's website where people can send wishes to the Rutger's basketball team because of Imus' comments was nothing but sincerity on her behalf. :lol: :lol:

Plus, if the president wasn't there, about how long would it take for you to start bitching that the President should be there and is turning his back on the country? How about a freaking nanosecond...

They're all politicians and are required by the political machine that is American Democracy to hit certain benchmarks and be certain places and smile for certain cameras at certain opportune moments, whether or not they are genuinely motivated by concern or not (which is funny: because a person can feel concern internally but also act in the public sphere in a way that seems contrived and superficial. One's internal feelings and external actions do not necessarily cancel the other out). This is hardly a Republican or Democratic issue but merely a general political one that is the mark of the beast, so to speak, as they are both "guilty" of it or engage in the necessary machinations, depending on your perspective.

I hope he pats the Chief of campus police on the back and tells him he's doin a hell of a job.

They're all politicians and are required by the political machine that is American Democracy to hit certain benchmarks and be certain places and smile for certain cameras at certain opportune moments, whether or not they are genuinely motivated by concern or not (which is funny: because a person can feel concern internally but also act in the public sphere in a way that seems contrived and superficial. One's internal feelings and external actions do not necessarily cancel the other out). This is hardly a Republican or Democratic issue but merely a general political one that is the mark of the beast, so to speak, as they are both "guilty" of it or engage in the necessary machinations, depending on your perspective.

I agree completely, and listening to a liberal bemoan the fact that the President showed up at the campus is essentially as embarrassing a statement as a person can make in this situation.

But hey...it's good for business.

I agree completely, and listening to a liberal bemoan the fact that the President showed up at the campus is essentially as embarrassing a statement as a person can make in this situation.

But hey...it's good for business.

But all these college campuses and university educators are flaming liberals, right? What exactly is a guy with a 7% approval rating with these people, and whom they are totally convinced put our nations young people in harm's way for no reason, going to say to comfort them? :lol:

I'd be "appalled" if my dad told me to stay safe on campus on a day like yesterday too. :lol:

And who didn't at least consider the possibility that it was terrorists when the report was that the shooter(s) had locked students in the buildings and opened fire?

Stuff like this is why I had the reaction that I did. Its not that he told me to stay safe, its that he and the rest of America love to jump to conclusions and overreact.

The implication that I should for some reason stay "more safe" than usual on a day because of something that happened in Virginia Tech is what bugs me.

But all these college campuses and university educators are flaming liberals, right? What exactly is a guy with a 7% approval rating with these people, and whom they are totally convinced put our nations young people in harm's way for no reason, going to say to comfort them? :lol:

I was talking about Tenny boy's criticism, not any one else's. But I guess I should expect it from him. Bush could single-handedly save Tenny from drowning in a river, and when Tenny was safe, he'd immediately blame Bush for pushing him in in the first place.

I was talking about Tenny boy's criticism, not any one else's. But I guess I should expect it from him. Bush could single-handedly save Tenny from drowning in a river, and when Tenny was safe, he'd immediately blame Bush for pushing him in in the first place.

That's the difference between Tenny and I. I would blame Bush for not pushing, or for saving in the first place.

I don't think it's a matter of he's going to wave his magic POTUS wand and comfort everyone. I think it's a matter of just showing up, which is essentially a symbolic act that represents the concern and sadness of the rest of us Americans who obviously can't do anything but say a prayer or some other equivalent gesture. Who are we to judge whether or not Bush visiting the campus does or does not offer some condolesence to people there? None of us are in that situation and thus if Bush showing up might help in some small way to some group of people, then the visit is a plus, imo.

I don't think it's a matter of he's going to wave his magic POTUS wand and comfort everyone. I think it's a matter of just showing up, which is essentially a symbolic act that represents the concern and sadness of the rest of us Americans who obviously can't do anything but say a prayer or some other equivalent gesture. Who are we to judge whether or not Bush visiting the campus does or does not offer some condolesence to people there? None of us are in that situation and thus if Bush showing up might help in some small way to some group of people, then the visit is a plus, imo.

And if it gets in the way, or becomes a sideshow, or the rest of the college has to prepare so much for a Presidential visit (which is an enormous undertaking) that it lessens more people's personal and collective grievance than it helps, which I believe it does, it is a minus. I don't care who it is, what party the President is from, etc.

I think the whole point in the original post was a commentary on how Bush will show a tender heart for innocent lives lost because of unjustified violence....Which depending on your political leanings could strike you as funny/sad/contradictory.

I think the whole point in the original post was a commentary on how Bush will show a tender heart for innocent lives lost because of unjustified violence....Which depending on your political leanings could strike you as funny/sad/contradictory.

I certainly see the point. I was just saying that as President, it's his job to do what he is doing and to expect a President not to do what he's doing is to not understand, imo, what role the POTUS plays in our society as of 2007. Any President would have gone to VaTech, democrat or republican, regardless of their current popularity (or lack thereof) or how hypocritical it may seem to a minority or majority of the population....

Normally, I'd agree with you.

But this is tenny.

So I'm pretty sure the original post was a commentary on Bush mincing around an aircraft carrier in a flight suit reading a goat story and picking his nose.