Pacman gets 1yr susp.

Dan III

He didn't pull any punches, and hit the nail dead-on, IMO:

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," Commissioner Goodell said. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Commissioner Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

I'm impressed, Roger.

what does that mean?

It means I don't think you understand the necessity for this extent of punishment. The buck has to stop somewhere and Goodell is doing it:

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," Commissioner Goodell said. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Commissioner Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

I'm impressed, Roger.

This post sums it all up nicely.

Suspensions

One thing to note, according to Espn article regarding suspensions:

"Jones' suspension could be longer or shorter depending on developments in that case, an official with knowledge of the details of the suspension told The Associated Press. He requested anonymity because the Las Vegas case is still pending."

Due process does need be followed .

I'm impressed, Roger.

Same here. About time these punks are held accountable. I wish I could have seen Henry's face when he found out he was suspended. He probably had the audacity to be surprised. Last week on NFL Total Access, Rich Eisen was having a phone interview with Henry. Eisen asked Henry something to the effect of "How would you answer the fans of Cincy who are confused or disappointed with your off field behavior?" To which Henry answered, "I have to question if they are really fans if they are not supporting me..." To top it off, he tried to claim he was a "family guy." Classic example of the gene pool being stretched way too thin.

so does that mean tank johnson gets a year when he gets out of jail? i don't think he should have been playing in the playoffs and superbowl last season.this is a step in the right direction,but the union will still try and fight for the players every time they step out and get into trouble.

Just some useless sarcasm, cincy. ......meaning.....suspension for these choir boys?.....can't be.

:D

Actually, the suspensions bite hard for young idiots, like Henry and Odell Thurmann. Their pay is gone. Zilch. Not a penny. Can't recover it later.

I wonder what Thurmann's fate will be. He got canned for the whole season. Zero income. It was something like 4 games initially, but after he was stopped at a DUI checkpoint, he was gone for the season.

Iincredibly, his girlfriend got stopped at the same checkpoint earlier that evening, and called him and told him to avoid it. Henry was in Thurmanns ubiquitous Caddy Escalade, too. Barfed out the window, drunk, therefore violating his terms of probation. Henry may end up doing time in 3 States.

Thurmann didn't show up for the B'gals training camp in '06...and he wasn't barred from doing so. Which made the B'gals mad.

Have to wonder how this impacts their decision making with regards to Turner. They've now got a big hole to fill on their roster next season, so I wouldn't think they'd be as likely to be tossing high draft picks around when there are more pressing needs. Chris Brown or Dillon might make more sense for them now since it won't cost them any picks.

Eisen asked Henry something to the effect of "How would you answer the fans of Cincy who are confused or disappointed with your off field behavior?" To which Henry answered, "I have to question if they are really fans if they are not supporting me..." To top it off, he tried to claim he was a "family guy." Classic example of the gene pool being stretched way too thin.

I thought you'd get a kick out of this portion of Jones' bio at the Titan's website.

• Although he is still in the early stages of his career, Jones’ story is already one of triumph. He lost his father when he was four, and he was raised by his mother, Deborah, along with his grandmother, Christine Jones, for most of his life. He credits them with being the primary reason he was not overcome by his tragic and violent childhood surroundings. But when he was a freshman in college, his grandmother died of cancer. Pacman missed a game to attend the funeral – the only game he missed in his three-year college career. On the day he was drafted by the Titans, he wore a T-shirt with her picture. Later in college, another one of his close mentors, high school PE teacher Libby Sobleskie, also died due to cancer.