Bills on the Clock

PFT on the segment (www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

ESPN RIPS THE BILLS

We haven't watched many of the "On the Clock" segments that have been aired on SportsCenter over the past few weeks. Primarily because we rarely watch SportsCenter. Primarily because SportsCenter has become unwatchable for anyone older than 15 who has an IQ higher than 16.

But we saw Sunday's "On the Clock" feature regarding the Buffalo Bills, and we were shocked at how mercilessly Chris Mortensen, Darren Woodson, and Mel Kiper Jr. trashed the franchise.

They focused primarily on the fact that four veterans are now gone -- running back Willis McGahee, linebacker London Fletcher-Baker-Robbins-Oppenheim-and-Taft, cornerback Nate Clements, and linebacker Takeo Spikes. And the trio suggested that the franchise is merely cutting payroll, possibly in advance of a sale of the team.

But they completely ignored the fact that the Bills paid big money to defensive end Chris Kelsay and offensive linemen Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery.

In our view, the piece was fully out of balance, and we were shocked that none of those three guys presented a more accurate view of the team.

First of all, McGahee was moved because McGahee wanted out. Destined to be a free agent in 2008, the Bills got what they could for him now, which was a package including two first-day picks. Though they might have been able to get Clements to take Derrick Dockery money in the fall of 2006, we can't fault the Bills for not getting into the overbidding for Clements in March. He is a solid corner but no Champ Bailey. The Niners clearly overpaid.

As to the two linebackers who aren't there anymore, well, they're both on the old side -- and Spikes possibly is on the down side.

Getting dissed is fine and dandy for the Bills. It's always better to be among the overlooked NFL franchises, since it's easier to catch the teams that are supposed to be "better" on paper off guard.

Depending on whether they can get a top-notch tailback in round one, we think the Bills will be a factor in 2007. Even if the guys at ESPN are ready to write them off.

Then again, it was Mel Kiper who suggested prior to the 2001 season that the Patriots could be the first team in NFL history to go 0-16. Mel was only a little bit off in his assessment.

Amen! I LOVE being underestimated!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a couple of good points here.

Clements should have already been extended.

I really want the Bills to lock up Evans, Losman and Schoebel to long-term deals.

They did at least extend mcgee.

TD was the GM when Clements should have been extended. Last year was too late, Clements wanted to test the market, so no way he was going to sign. I wish Marv could have got us a pick for Clements last year, as he knew he wasn't coming back.

Mort suggesting that Ralph is preparing the team for sale was just too over the top. Kiper saying the Bills are competing for the #1 overall pick in next year's draft was absolutely ridiculous.

These guys are worse than clueless....they just make stuff up to bash Buffalo. I used to think all the Bills fans were paranoid or overly-sensitive...no more. ESPN can f**k off in my book now.

I have a serious question.

Is it legal to send my poop through the US Postal Service?

I mean, if I print out the article from ESPN that talks about Mort, Woodson and Kipers comments. And then I take a dump on top of the paper the article is printed on, and then place it in a box and mail it to ESPN to the attention of these ass clowns.

Can I get in trouble for that? Is it legal? Or would I end up locked in a cage in Guantanamo?

If I won't get into trouble,...I think I might hold it for two days and "drop a coil" to let the good people at ESPN know what I think of their recent rant on the Bills.

I mean, if I print out the article from ESPN that talks about Mort, Woodson and Kipers comments. And then I take a dump on top of the paper the article is printed on, and then place it in a box and mail it to ESPN to the attention of these ass clowns.

Can I get in trouble for that? Is it legal? Or would I end up locked in a cage in Guantanamo?

If I won't get into trouble,...I think I might hold it for two days and "drop a coil" to let the good people at ESPN know what I think of their recent rant on the Bills.

:w00t: :w00t:

:w00t:

Post of the Day.

OMG, "drop a coil," are you kidding me? Tremendous.

Well..they were also the guys who criticized ML for picking Donte Whitner. I heard a guy talking about that pick on Sirius (don't remember who) but the guy said how he and other criticized ML and then said something like..."well Whitner proved to be a very valuable starter and a real addition to the Bills, so I guess ML can say "scoreboard" as far as we go." Nice to have a pundit admit he was wrong.

Anyway..I'm not putting much stock into the crybaby's about the Bills defense. First it wasn't all that good last year WITH Clements, Fletcher, and the oft injured Spikes. Second...the young rookies at LB looked pretty good. Third, I'm counting on Jabari Greer or Youbooty stepping up. Fourth...we have a lot of picks in the first three rounds to improve. The idea of going for the Thurman Thomas kind of back appeals to me, and Willis would certainly be a nice addition to the l-backers.

I'm not panicking, and I would NOT be at all surprised to find next year's team significantly better than this years...even if we are rebuilding.