Speeding Ticket Part 2

ok so for everyone involved in my "i need help" thread dealing with my 84 in a 55 ticket on the la salle expressway...today was my court appearance at 8:30 AM in niagara falls. So i get there with my step dad and we stand around waiting for court to open....then get in line to talk with the prosecutor, out of nowhere a police officer calls out "is jshockeyguy here" and pulls me into the prosecutors room....and hes like....this is what were gonna do for you.... were gonna change your speed from 84 in a 55, to 70 in a 55..... as a request from the officer....then plea that down to a parking ticket....which means no school and no points...just a fine. So im sitting there in shock...and relief...until i get into the courtroom and seeing people walk away with $100's of dollars in fines...... And then i get even more worried because every single person there, gets called before i do..... but then i understand why. When the judge finally called me up he asked me if i plead guilty to the reduced charges, said guilty your honor. Then hes like...."how old are you son".... told him i was 18.... then he started on how it was important for me to know the severity of going 84 on the expressway....which i do and said that if i ever appeared in his court again he would personally make sure i didnt get a plea....then proceeded to give me a $25 fine.....so im sitting there thinking OK.....84 in a 55 = $25 fine? :doh: but it turned out my real dad (whose a cop for niagara county) had called the state trooper and the judge to smooth things over....which is why they waited until i was alone in the courtroom to rule on my case because it wouldnt look too good on the guy who had gone before me for going 80 in a 55 and got a $300 fine heh.....but anyways....as promised thats what happened....and i just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words in my previous thread....it meant a lot for when i didnt know where to go because i was so worried..... thanks!

It's not that I have anything against you, jshockeyguy, but I'm not exactly thrilled by the thought that if my kid gets a speeding ticket (or my wife-who did)she can end up getting screwed because I'm not a cop, and you get off with a slap on the wrist because your dad is. My wife's ticket cost me $205. She was caught driving 60 in a 45 zone.

Of course, I don't have great faith in town and village courts anyway. The village court justice where I live is a known alcoholic, whose 21 year old daughter was born with fetal alcohol syndrome and has spent months in jail. Anyway, it is also well known that she gives preferential treatment to her drinking buddies at the local bar where she is a regular. Fortunately, I've never had occasion to be in her courtroom, so I don't have to put on an act as if I respect her.

I have several drivers licenses from 4 different states. Whenever I get pulled over for speeding I give the officer the out of state license. He may write me a ticket but I never get any points put on my license. Also, my step dad use to work for the IRS. All those BS charges and fees are a tax write off. I get all that back at the end of the year. :doh:

I have several drivers licenses from 4 different states.  Whenever I get pulled over for speeding I give the officer the out of state license.  He may write me a ticket but I never get any points put on my license.  Also, my step dad use to work for the IRS.  All those BS charges and fees are a tax write off.  I get all that back at the end of the year.  :doh:

67794[/snapback]

how does that work? Most states recognize other state licenses, and will transfer another state license to their state but will not let you stay licenced in both. did you actually have to pass driving tests in all those states to avoid handing in one of your other licences??

how does that work?  Most states recognize other state licenses, and will transfer another state license to their state but will not let you stay licenced in both.  did you actually have to pass driving tests in all those states to avoid handing in one of your other licences??

67812[/snapback]

I pay taxes in 3 states and am considered a legal resident in 4 states. Some states like NC make you a resident after being there for 30 consecutive days. It doesn't matter if you are a seasonal visitor or travel there for work. I've never had the opportunity to swap out a license. I've always had to retake a written and driving test. But having extra license is a nice loop hole for avoiding points if you ever get pulled over.

I am glad to see the justice system at work! Its not about being fair, its about who you know.....

I would of kept this story to myself IMHO. WHen the "average" person such as myself read a story like this it only reminds us how corrupt our system is.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

You guys are rediculous!!

You never caught a break in life?

The kid was scared s#!t-less.. he came here before and admitted how stupid his mistake was. I will almost guarentee for the worry he went through for the past few weeks, there is no way his spedometer will come close to 80 for a few years.

Cut him a break. He's 18, obvioulsy has limited funds, and the real fine would have crippled him for a while.

Its not what you know, its who you know - and it will ALWAYS be that way.

When I was 16-19 and got 6 different tickets (ranging from rolling stop sign, to overly loud muffler, to driving down Rt 5 with my high beams on because the little blue light in my car didnt work to speeding) i would have loved to get a break.

But none of mine were 87 in a 55. The kid got a break. He learned his lesson without having to pay for it monetarily. But he paid for it with the weeks of worrying.

Good to hear, man... i bet you can breath a little easier today, huh?

Go Bills.

first of all.... i never asked my dad for help at all..... i rarely see my dad and frankly usually i dont even want to see him as a result of stuff thats happened in the past....I was expecting to do this alone as i thought i should... because it was my fault, and im now an "adult" so i should of had to face the music..... but at the same time a fine and points on my license would of killed me....i pay over $250 a month already for insurance / gas / books for college etc...not to mention if something goes wrong with my car or anything like that.... and the only job i have is $6 a hour at gamestop for like 10-12 hours a week cause thats all the time i have for, because im usually at work study trying to pay my tuiton here at NU, or studying and doing my homework....and as im on my parents insurance right now, if i had gotten points i would of been taken off it it quickly, leaving me with no insurance cause i wouldnt be able to afford it....so to say i havent learned my lesson is just plain naive....i was simply trying to thank the people who expressed their sympathy, and fulfilling my promise that i would tell everyone what happened..... so all you pompous old !@#$s who feel the need to flame a 18 year old kid trying to make ends meet just so he can stay in college :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ....to everyone else... thanks for your continued support and understanding

Glad to hear it worked out for you....

the next time you're speeding remember the judges voice.......it's not worth the hassle to speed excessively.........how much time will you save really 5-10 mins.....and you don't want your hair to turn grey prematurely....not good on the nerves....

anyways, I was the insurance guy who replied to your first post....it doesn't sound like any rates will be affected....again, just think how much it would have cost just for the increase in insurance!

other people....THIS IS THE REAL WORLD....IT IS ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW!!!

first of all.... i never asked my dad for help at all..... i rarely see my dad and frankly usually i dont even want to see him as a result of stuff thats happened in the past....I was expecting to do this alone as i thought i should... because it was my fault, and im now an "adult" so i should of had to face the music..... but at the same time a fine and points on my license would of killed me....i pay over $250 a month already for insurance / gas / books for college etc...not to mention if something goes wrong with my car or anything like that.... and the only job i have is $6 a hour at gamestop for like 10-12 hours a week cause thats all the time i have for, because im usually at work study trying to pay my tuiton here at NU, or studying and doing my homework....and as im on my parents insurance right now, if i had gotten points i would of been taken off it it quickly, leaving me with no insurance cause i wouldnt be able to afford it....so to say i havent learned my lesson is just plain naive....i was simply trying to thank the people who expressed their sympathy, and fulfilling my promise that i would tell everyone what happened..... so all you pompous old !@#$s who feel the need to flame a 18 year old kid trying to make ends meet just so he can stay in college  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ....to everyone else... thanks for your continued support and understanding

67974[/snapback]

well said. I swear sometimes around here you get these guys that say they remember being young, but I really question that sometimes.

first of all.... i never asked my dad for help at all..... i rarely see my dad and frankly usually i dont even want to see him as a result of stuff thats happened in the past....I was expecting to do this alone as i thought i should... because it was my fault, and im now an "adult" so i should of had to face the music..... but at the same time a fine and points on my license would of killed me....i pay over $250 a month already for insurance / gas / books for college etc...not to mention if something goes wrong with my car or anything like that.... and the only job i have is $6 a hour at gamestop for like 10-12 hours a week cause thats all the time i have for, because im usually at work study trying to pay my tuiton here at NU, or studying and doing my homework....and as im on my parents insurance right now, if i had gotten points i would of been taken off it it quickly, leaving me with no insurance cause i wouldnt be able to afford it....so to say i havent learned my lesson is just plain naive....i was simply trying to thank the people who expressed their sympathy, and fulfilling my promise that i would tell everyone what happened..... so all you pompous old !@#$s who feel the need to flame a 18 year old kid trying to make ends meet just so he can stay in college  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ....to everyone else... thanks for your continued support and understanding

67974[/snapback]

Cry me a river, maybe next time you will obey the speed limit - You should have thought about the repercussions of doing 84 in a 55.

Cry me a river, maybe next time you will obey the speed limit - You should have thought about the repercussions of doing 84 in a 55.

67983[/snapback]

Case in point.

I take it you have never sped? EVER. NEVER. right?

Because if you have sped, ever, even once, here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=hypocrite

And don't tell me that "Well, I have, but never 84 in a 55!"

Well, then, where is the cutoff? Is going 5 over OK? Ok, so how about 15 over?

But what about 15 over in a 30MPH zone? Now you're you're going 45MPH in a 30 -doesnt seem fast, but its about the same percentage over as this kid was doing.

Listen, we were all young and stupid (and Im only 24!) . Does that mean this kid should have to worry about not being able to buy books for college because of one minor lapse in judgment.

I guess you were never young, on an uncrowded freeway, with a great tune on the radio, on a nice day, and you look down and say "Oh S#IT!" and realize you are going way too fast? That ever happen?

Oh, probably not. Back in your day, they probably didnt have freeways.

Listen to yourself and cut the kid a break.

Case in point.

I take it you have never sped? EVER. NEVER. right?

Because if you have sped, ever, even once, here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=hypocrite

And don't tell me that "Well, I have, but never 84 in a 55!"

Well, then, where is the cutoff? Is going 5 over OK? Ok, so how about 15 over?

But what about 15 over in a 30MPH zone? Now you're you're going 45MPH in a 30 -doesnt seem fast, but its about the same percentage over as this kid was doing.

Listen, we were all young and stupid (and Im only 24!) . Does that mean this kid should have to worry about not being able to buy books for college because of one minor lapse in judgment.

I guess you were never young, on an uncrowded freeway, with a great tune on the radio, on a nice day, and you look down and say "Oh S#IT!" and realize you are going way too fast?  That ever happen?

Oh, probably not. Back in your day, they probably didnt have freeways.

Listen to yourself and cut the kid a break.

67997[/snapback]

I make it a point not to drive 29 mph over the speed limit.

Why the hell is everyone mad at him? You guys are acting like this stuff never happens, well get real, it does happen all the time. It's not like he went whining and crying to his dad to get him off. He was the recipient (sp) of a lucky break and good for him. Tell me none of you would have done the same thing, if the judge told you your fine was reduced to a parking ticket. I could see you guys in court "A parking ticket? No thanks your Honor, I'll take the $300 fine, after all, its what I deserve." You people are full of stevestojan if you wouldn't go for the plea in a second. I don't know if I wouldn't have gone to my dad in that situation right away, no matter what I thought of him.

Congrats Shockey! Just don't drive like that anymore, you are likely to hurt yourself or worse yet, someone else, if you continue to drive like a maniac.

I make it a point not to drive 29 mph over the speed limit.

68009[/snapback]

Well, let me go shopping on-line to find you a medal.

Long story short. Broke 18 year old kid. Hasnt had trouble in the past. Makes one stupid mistake. Should his future be affected for speeding? No.

You're obviously a much better person than the rest of us who have ever sped.