Schaub signs a multi-year contract with the Texans, 7 years 48 million

ganesh

Texans | Schaub signs

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:22:51 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed restricted free-agent QB Matt Schaub to a six-year contract worth $48 million with $7 million guaranteed. Schaub will receive $20 million in the first three years. If Schaub stays with the team the last three years of the contract, the Texans will have to pay Schaub a $10 million option bonus in 2010. The Texans paid QB David Carr an $8 million option in 2006 to keep him for the last three years of his contract.

I'd say that is very much in line with what we gave RJ. In fact, the whole deal is as close to the one we swung in 98 as any I could imagine.

RJ:

5 yrs. 25 million

1st and 4th

Schaub:

7 yrs. 48 million

Two 2nds and minor 1st swap

It seems that it is becoming less popular, but overpaying for potential is still something that teams will take a chance on. It is definitely a huge risk, but it's a bold risk that a struggling, heavily criticized franchise rolled the dice on. I applaud the Texans for making a strong move to escape the doldrums of a "never has been" expansion franchise.

When offensive guards are making 7 million + a year, it is actually a good deal....

I think the only thing in favor of the Texans is that out of the 48M, only 7M is guaranteed for the 1st 3 years...and then they are on the hook for a 10M option bonus to get the last 3 years of the contract.

We could potentially do the same with Losman considering that there might still be an element of doubt regarding him at OBD. They could lock him up for a long term contract by guaranteeing some option and roster bonus in 2 years time...