Bogus "Fan" Signs

altleg

I don't really know if I should interpret this as good news (since its nice to know we aren't the only team using these silly "fan" signs, in a misery loves company kind of way) or bad news (becoming a sports trend), but for any fans of the "Royal's Rascals" and "Villarial's Guard" signs at the Ralph, I went to a recent Dallas Mavericks game and was subjected to "Austin's Alley" (for Austin Croshere), "Devin's Dribblers) (for Devin Harris), among 10 or so others.

Make it Stop!

I don't really know if I should interpret this as good news (since its nice to know we aren't the only team using these silly "fan" signs, in a misery loves company kind of way) or bad news (becoming a sports trend), but for any fans of the "Royal's Rascals" and "Villarial's Guard" signs at the Ralph, I went to a recent Dallas Mavericks game and was subjected to "Austin's Alley" (for Austin Croshere), "Devin's Dribblers) (for Devin Harris), among 10 or so others.

Make it Stop!

How about "Pac-Man's Lawyers"?

What are those, exactly? I always sort of assumed that they were put up because the player had made some charity donation.

You are correct, they are a section of season tickets that a particular player has purchased and donated to a charity. The sign represents the nickname that the player or his publicist has created.

It's a good gesture I think.

Make it Stop!

I noticed this too, it made me think of a few years ago when I was in college at UB. First, the student section is sponsored by mighty taco and are known as teh "mighty maniacs" which is admittedly stupid. There was a also a subsection of fans whose name I cannot recall but it basically boiled down to the 'mark bortz fan club'.

How about "Pac-Man's Lawyers"?

Post of the day....mark it 8

You could have a ton of these for all sports.

NHL

Crosby's Crybabies

Tuckers *uckers

Simons Delinquents

NBA

Could apply to most

"fill in the name" Thugs/Criminals

MLB

"Fill in the name" Steroid club

NFL

In Cincy they could just have one for all of the players...they could call it the "Crime of the month club"

You could have a ton of these for all sports.

NHL

Crosby's Crybabies

Tuckers *uckers

Simons Delinquents

NBA

Could apply to most

"fill in the name" Thugs/Criminals

MLB

"Fill in the name" Steroid club

NFL

In Cincy they could just have one for all of the players...they could call it the "Crime of the month club"

These are funny and good.

I believe Tampa Bay was the first to start this stupid crap, at least it is the first place I saw it. The Glazers (owners of the Bucs ) started this when Raymond James Stadium opened. What is worse they do not alow fans to hang posters or even have large signs in the stands. The corporationizing of the NFL. I think this is what Ralph is most upset about. Most cities have a number of corporations who buy all the suites as well as most of the best seats in the stadiums which they give out to clients & employes. Most of these people are only at games to see and be seen, not to watch the game. They are not really football fans and most don't really know anything about football. That is why you see stadiums start to empty in the 3rd quarter in many cities, Tampa included.

you know what ive always thought were lame signs, people that make signs like using

come see the

bills crush the

saints

stupid stuff like that, I am tired of signs when people using acronyms

Yeah, those are dumb, but they are the ones that get on TV. If that is their goal, it works. CBS and ESPN especially love putting those on. They are usually terrible.

Everytime the bills play the

Steelers they are the best at making

Plays when it counts and they

Never play poorly

is the type of sign you'd see make it on TV.

I believe this answers most of the questions.

Thanks for finding and posting that; I now understand the purpose behind what I previously thought were extremely poor attempts at "creating" atmosphere in the stadium.

Yeah, those are dumb, but they are the ones that get on TV. If that is their goal, it works. CBS and ESPN especially love putting those on. They are usually terrible.

Everytime the bills play the

Steelers they are the best at making

Plays when it counts and they

Never play poorly

is the type of sign you'd see make it on TV.

Charging

Buffalo

Stampede

;)

Thanks for finding and posting that; I now understand the purpose behind what I previously thought were extremely poor attempts at "creating" atmosphere in the stadium.

Agreed, thanks inkman. I'll have to live with those from now on given their legitimate purpose. Makes me wonder what happened to all the "real" fan signs. I remember the old Aud was filled with them in the 70/80s for Sabres games -- many of them looked more professional then these official signs.

While the intentions of the organizations are wonderful, the corny sign names could use a little help. Unless a child with terminal cancer created the name, then Walkers Wookies would be fine with me.