Guitar players

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built a guitar (my 2nd actually, and a 3rd has been in the works for the last 8 years) made of a 2" piece of maple with an ebony fingerboard, a humbucker, and a Floyd Rose. I play mostly rock/metal.
wow good for you, rock/metal! hmmm I say fender amps there more that. Fender Amps got great distortions. Marshall Amps are more of a rock/blues kind of an amp well so are fenders but i say fender

Mad it depends on what you are going to play musically, but I recommend the new Line 6 Spider III series of amps. They model 12 classic amps and give you on board effects and everything. You'll have an arsenal at your disposal and for a great price. the amp head I'm thinking of getting is the spider III 150hd. runs about 400 bucks

I play country and rock on a gibson les paul studio, fender tele, and a squire strat tht I customized with top end fender gold lace pickups.

I'm looking for a new amp. Give me some suggestions and reasons why I should get that amp. Thanks in advance.

If you don't have a preference with respect to tone or sound (i.e. asking us to convince you ;-)) my suggestion would be to get one of the modeling amplifiers. Check out Vox Valvetronix or Line 6. They're not very expensive when compared to Marshall/Mesa Boogie and can pump out some great sound for the money. You've got a wide range of tones to choose from and the presets are usually quite nice (i.e. one blues, one full on shred, one classic, one warm tube, and so on).

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/

http://line6.com/

I've been running my guitar through a Mac because my wife would shoot me in the head if I bought a big 'ol amp. If I had a few hundred to blow on one, I'd buy a Vox.

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the Line 6 Spider III 150 head and the matching cab. Will set me back $700, but no tax and shipping (will get it through Amazon, and get some $25 certificates back).

Spider's a good choice =)

Edit: Give the smaller combo's a chance, too. You don't necessarily need the head/cab pair with a modeling amp... might save you some $$.

I'm looking for a new amp. Give me some suggestions and reasons why I should get that amp. Thanks in advance.

I've been playing for ~6 years. I had been using a 12-watt crate amp which served me well. I just bought a Line 6 Spider II (30 watt) and really like it so far. If I could recommend something above all else, buy it used. I paid $60 for this Line 6 and it is only a year old.

Both, but mostly distortion.

Of course Marshall is known for the distortion...but, a lot has happened in the last 70 years, I'm guessing. :devil:

My brother is REALLY an expert on this stuff. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Of course if you were looking for for an organ amp, you'd HAVE to go with the LESLIE.

http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/Leslie

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the Line 6 Spider III 150 head and the matching cab. Will set me back $700, but no tax and shipping (will get it through Amazon, and get some $25 certificates back).

dude, you'll be really happy with that setup. especially if you plan on gigging or recording with it. If you're just noodling around though, you can go with the 75 and still get really great sound and volume

dude, you'll be really happy with that setup. especially if you plan on gigging or recording with it. If you're just noodling around though, you can go with the 75 and still get really great sound and volume

I want a set-up with the option to gig, although in all likelihood I probably won't. I guess the 150W combo will do. Maybe even the 120W.