What happened to this board???

nemhoff

You have passed the test much like when our young friends from Boston made it through the metal detectors in the courtroom packed with heat, and were able to hold court their style.

:worthy:

But one thing that i forgot to add.

If we are asking for our defensive lineman to stunt, we can not have conventional linebackers playing back there. Instead what we need are linebackers that my old football coach used to refer to as hornets. Linebackers who sworm in back of the line of scrimmage and allow for versitile pursuit. Last year we had linebackers that tried to press the line of scrimmage and in turn missed key tackles and could not fill the cut back lanes, thus allowing for large gains on the ground.

What the Bills have to do this year is improve their linebacker play by getting rid of the dutch boys and filling those positions with hornets.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boondock, you are one of my new favorites. But I still have to ask about our LB's, what to do with Spikes?

You keep Spikes. Enough with all this Madden fantasy crap, you don't trade all players for draft picks or LaDanian Tomlinson. An achilles injury is usually a two year injury, everybody knew that when it was first released that he was injured, so i do not see why the status quo has changed. It's not like we are in salary cap hell, thus it does not cost us to hold onto him for atleast another season. I think he won't be the same Spikes he was before, but he is still a leader as well as a decent player who has the ability to come up big when asked to.

If it was really affecting the team, his salary that is, i would renegotiate his contract so that you were not spending a tremendous amount of money on an individual who's onfield performance does not match the number of zero's on the paycheck.

High Motor, you have reinforced my point in that I wouldn't have to start one in the past to get one. But here we go anyway:

The Bills are going to have on the toughest schedules next year in the entire league, with no star RB on the roster, holes in the LB's, questions at the CB's that include who the heck is going to start, what are the keys to remaining FA and who is the most critical 1st round pick that we must take? I am not talking about giving me your full mock, give me your most critical, what position must be filled?

There you go, let's talk

Well for starters I wont give you a mock but starting with the most critical need

Rb-

Right now it's painfuly obvious we have no "upgrade" to willis mcgahee. Despite LSI Cadets unwaivering faith in the Atrain. Shaud Williams at best is a 3rd down/situational type back. He lacks size and speed and hands. He has good quickness to turn the corner though. Not someone you can rely on in a rbbc. I dont know much about the guy from NFLE, but I highly doubt that he's the future. Someone with knowledge about nfle can help you with that.

This is a area that will most likely be addressed via the draft. While my prefrence is large and away the guy in my avatar my 2nd choice would be draftin antonio pittman or michael bush in the 2nd or 3rd rd and picking best available corner or lb depending on what the bills feel the bigger need is.

LB-

With the unsurity of spikes due to injury and unconfidence that crowell can man the middle and only 6th rd pick Keith Ellison at the other lb spot this will be addressed. I will just say that this position in paticular becomes a non need if keith ellison continues to progress, spikes pull a julian peterson and crowell turns out to be a solid mike backer. Due to cato june signing with tampa and the free agent crop weak. Unless you like someone like Kawika Mitchell. IMHO he's too slow in coverage, not a great tackler nor good at blitzing or causing fumbles. This area will also be addressed via the draft early. Depending what the bills feel they need more a mlb or olb we'll see. I'm leaning towards mlb myself.

Cb- After rb this is my biggest area of concern for the bills. Not just because ashton youboty didnt play much last year, but because for the past few years I've watched terrence mcgee repeatedly get beat like a drum and get praised because he's seen so much "making plays". He's overmatched at 5'9 by most #2 receivers in the league. I just see this becoming increasingly more evident when he's matched up week to week with teams #1 and just for a preview some of the wr's he plays this year include To, Plaxico Burress, Donte Stallworth, Coles, Santana Moss, Chad Jackson, Braylon Edwards, and Javon Walker. Feeling comfortable with that thought? Theres a few decent corners that we can get up the 3rd rd. As long as the corner isn't leon hall.

Free Agency-

As far as free agency goes I'm hoping the bills sign no one else other then their own free agents. Specificaly Andre Davis. He's a great gunner on st's and unlike sam aiken at least offers some aspect of a receiving threat. I've never been one to believe in all out spending sprees for free agnecy prefering instead to build a team via the draft while using free agency as a means for a depth. 1 guy however I wouldnt mind is detroit lb boss bailey. He has some injury issues but great speed and would be cheap to sign. If he can manage to stay healthy would be a coo. I doubt it would make a dent salary cap wise if we went after him. That's really it though.

THE DRAFT-

The most critical need on this team is without a doubt in my mind runningback. I feel more comfortable about the situations at lb/dt/corner then I do about rb. They may just be prospects at those positions, but I'm more comfortable with the unknown of John McCargo, Keith Ellison and Crowell improving and Ashton Youboty then I am about Anthony Thomas.

The a-train played hard last year, but he offers a limited scope of attibutes. He's not real shifty or elusive. Although at time he tries to be. Watch him he doesn't run thru the hole as much as people think he does instead prefering to make a cut to try to get to the corner. However he generally doesnt have the speed for this. He does have decent hands. Is a nice little check down option but wont do much with the ball in his hands. Has no breakaway speed. The one aspect of his game that is good is his vision. He can read blocks well.

All in all Anthony thomas is an ideal #2 back. He'll never be the main horse and for good reason. Getting a rook with potential to be the guy. Someone like Peterson, Lynch, Bush,Pittman and have them split carries with the train and slowly bringing the rook along more and more as the season goes on would be the best way to go about it. Give the rook a chance to learn the nuances such as blitz pickup, properly reading blocks, and running routes. They made a decision to get something for willis and as it stands now with to be seen results in the future. For now I hope the bills know what they're doing.

You keep Spikes. Enough with all this Madden fantasy crap, you don't trade all players for draft picks or LaDanian Tomlinson. An achilles injury is usually a two year injury, everybody knew that when it was first released that he was injured, so i do not see why the status quo has changed. It's not like we are in salary cap hell, thus it does not cost us to hold onto him for atleast another season. I think he won't be the same Spikes he was before, but he is still a leader as well as a decent player who has the ability to come up big when asked to.

If it was really affecting the team, his salary that is, i would renegotiate his contract so that you were not spending a tremendous amount of money on an individual who's onfield performance does not match the number of zero's on the paycheck.

The team will know where Spikes recovery is at when mini camp starts. If he's made progress since the end of last season, he should end up being fine. But, if it looks like he's not progressing, it may be time to either move him, or start planning for his departure. I really hope (for him and the team) he's getting back to his old form.

Agree on Spikes, BCL, and do you notice how the conversation has turned somewhat real on the Bills that the "others" are now gone. I too, would keep him because he might come back to form but also because he can provide some leadership that will be missing with LFB gone, also I think that it lessens that need to draft a first or second round LB, Willis is overrated in my opinion.

I am intrigued at the notion that we might be able to draft Peterson, but doubt that he would get past the Texans, even if the Browns don't do it. The Texans Fugged it by not getting Bush and they will not repeat the mistake IMO. That will leave us in a real conundrum with that first pick, because Lynch is not worth it there.

For that reason I think that this draft will really show what Levy. It won't be an easy choice it AP is gone.

Well for starters I wont give you a mock but starting with the most critical need

Rb-

Right now it's painfuly obvious we have no "upgrade" to willis mcgahee. Despite LSI Cadets unwaivering faith in the Atrain. Shaud Williams at best is a 3rd down/situational type back. He lacks size and speed and hands. He has good quickness to turn the corner though. Not someone you can rely on in a rbbc. I dont know much about the guy from NFLE, but I highly doubt that he's the future. Someone with knowledge about nfle can help you with that.

This is a area that will most likely be addressed via the draft. While my prefrence is large and away the guy in my avatar my 2nd choice would be draftin antonio pittman or michael bush in the 2nd or 3rd rd and picking best available corner or lb depending on what the bills feel the bigger need is.

LB-

With the unsurity of spikes due to injury and unconfidence that crowell can man the middle and only 6th rd pick Keith Ellison at the other lb spot this will be addressed. I will just say that this position in paticular becomes a non need if keith ellison continues to progress, spikes pull a julian peterson and crowell turns out to be a solid mike backer. Due to cato june signing with tampa and the free agent crop weak. Unless you like someone like Kawika Mitchell. IMHO he's too slow in coverage, not a great tackler nor good at blitzing or causing fumbles. This area will also be addressed via the draft early. Depending what the bills feel they need more a mlb or olb we'll see. I'm leaning towards mlb myself.

Cb- After rb this is my biggest area of concern for the bills. Not just because ashton youboty didnt play much last year, but because for the past few years I've watched terrence mcgee repeatedly get beat like a drum and get praised because he's seen so much "making plays". He's overmatched at 5'9 by most #2 receivers in the league. I just see this becoming increasingly more evident when he's matched up week to week with teams #1 and just for a preview some of the wr's he plays this year include To, Plaxico Burress, Donte Stallworth, Coles, Santana Moss, Chad Jackson, Braylon Edwards, and Javon Walker. Feeling comfortable with that thought? Theres a few decent corners that we can get up the 3rd rd. As long as the corner isn't leon hall.

Free Agency-

As far as free agency goes I'm hoping the bills sign no one else other then their own free agents. Specificaly Andre Davis. He's a great gunner on st's and unlike sam aiken at least offers some aspect of a receiving threat. I've never been one to believe in all out spending sprees for free agnecy prefering instead to build a team via the draft while using free agency as a means for a depth. 1 guy however I wouldnt mind is detroit lb boss bailey. He has some injury issues but great speed and would be cheap to sign. If he can manage to stay healthy would be a coo. I doubt it would make a dent salary cap wise if we went after him. That's really it though.

THE DRAFT-

The most critical need on this team is without a doubt in my mind runningback. I feel more comfortable about the situations at lb/dt/corner then I do about rb. They may just be prospects at those positions, but I'm more comfortable with the unknown of John McCargo, Keith Ellison and Crowell improving and Ashton Youboty then I am about Anthony Thomas.

The a-train played hard last year, but he offers a limited scope of attibutes. He's not real shifty or elusive. Although at time he tries to be. Watch him he doesn't run thru the hole as much as people think he does instead prefering to make a cut to try to get to the corner. However he generally doesnt have the speed for this. He does have decent hands. Is a nice little check down option but wont do much with the ball in his hands. Has no breakaway speed. The one aspect of his game that is good is his vision. He can read blocks well.

All in all Anthony thomas is an ideal #2 back. He'll never be the main horse and for good reason. Getting a rook with potential to be the guy. Someone like Peterson, Lynch, Bush,Pittman and have them split carries with the train and slowly bringing the rook along more and more as the season goes on would be the best way to go about it. Give the rook a chance to learn the nuances such as blitz pickup, properly reading blocks, and running routes. They made a decision to get something for willis and as it stands now with to be seen results in the future. For now I hope the bills know what they're doing.

Good insight, Thanks :worthy:

I am intrigued at the notion that we might be able to draft Peterson, but doubt that he would get past the Texans, even if the Browns don't do it. The Texans Fugged it by not getting Bush and they will not repeat the mistake IMO. That will leave us in a real conundrum with that first pick, because Lynch is not worth it there.

You have

4 years and 23 million guesses why the texans won't take adrian peterson.

Not only that but Kubiak is a Shannahan disiciple and has never been big on taking 1st rd rb's. I also am pretty sure Domanick Davis is still on the texans roster.

You have

4 years and 23 million guesses why the texans won't take adrian peterson.

Not only that but Kubiak is a Shannahan disiciple and has never been big on taking 1st rd rb's. I also am pretty sure Domanick Davis is still on the texans roster.

And I love Davis, he was on my FFl two years ago. He is a question mark that he can make it back and especially with Green on the roster. So if the Browns pass and the Texans pass do the Bills really have a chance at AP?

Agree on Spikes, BCL, and do you notice how the conversation has turned somewhat real on the Bills that the "others" are now gone. I too, would keep him because he might come back to form but also because he can provide some leadership that will be missing with LFB gone, also I think that it lessens that need to draft a first or second round LB, Willis is overrated in my opinion.

For that reason I think that this draft will really show what Levy. It won't be an easy choice it AP is gone.

I would like to trade down and draft Lynch because i do not believe that Peterson will be there when the Bills pick. The only thing is that if we were to trade down, Green Bay would almost certainly take Lynch with their pick, thus Buffalo traded down and we don't have a stud rock hauler. But then again, it is not vital that the Bills trade down either, we have acquired many picks that in turn are plenty for whatever we wish to address in the draft, or wherever we choose to move in the draft.

I think we pick Lynch at 12, because with a trade down, you risk losing him, and the picks are not a necessity at this point.

Assuming That Cleveland takes quinn like a lot of people are currently speculating they might theres 2 teams after them and before buffalo I can see taking AP. The Vikings and Falcons. More so the falcons. While I think Jerious Norwood can be an everydown back and they have much bigger needs, they could be looking for a complimentary back to go with him. Warrick Dunn is pretty much done. Atlanta imo is the biggest threat. The vikings I think are 70/30 on taking peterson because of chester taylor it's not really a need position.

If it didnt take too much say a 1st and a 2nd to move up to 5 or 6 to grab Peterson I would not be against it theres some decent lb and corners that we could still grab with our 2 3rds. My hope is that these teams look at his injury history and decide to pass and have him fall right into our laps.

I would like to trade down and draft Lynch because i do not believe that Peterson will be there when the Bills pick. The only thing is that if we were to trade down, Green Bay would almost certainly take Lynch with their pick, thus Buffalo traded down and we don't have a stud rock hauler. But then again, it is not vital that the Bills trade down either, we have acquired many picks that in turn are plenty for whatever we wish to address in the draft, or wherever we choose to move in the draft.

I think we pick Lynch at 12, because with a trade down, you risk losing him, and the picks are not a necessity at this point.

My favorite scenario so far involves trading down with Cincy and picking up Paul Poz = LB

Getting Brian Leonard with a #2 or #3 = RB

Taking the RB from Arizona(Gates?) with one of the threes = RB

Drafting Solail(sp?) at #4 = DT

Using what we got left(and whatever we got from the Cincy Trade) to get another LB, DBs, and OLs - in that order.