Bills Draft Priorities

now that we've added a 2nd(3rd) RB and a 4th CB we can look at the draft a LITTLE differently.

yesterday i posted that going into the draft:

i think the good thing is our holes are identifiable, we have a lot of opportunity to fill them, and there are not a lot of pressing needs.

1. we MUST bring on 2 more CBs.

2. we MUST get at least 1 RB

3. we should get an upgrade to our LBs

4. we should get an upgrade to our DTs

we can do that. and then some. i think.

today's signing doest change much but i think id reprioritize as:

1. we MUST get 1 RB

2. we MUST get 1 CB

3. we should upgrade our LBs

4. we should upgrade our DTs

regardless of list order, i still think we are best off getting Willis in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd/3rd. that depends on 1. if Willis is there at 12 and 2. what CBs/RBs are still there when we pick in the 2nd.

if we go RB at 12, then i hope we trade back into the late first and grab Puz or Siler, then best CB left in the 3rd.

Man, I really think we need to get big in the middle of our D. DT and MLB positions worry me. I think we need to get Okoye/Willis/Branch or someone similar in the first round.

As for drafting RBs - I think our scouting dept had better come thru in the later rounds. I would also call the Chargers before our pick in the 2nd round and see if they'll ship Turner to us for that pick. No one in their right mind is gonna give up a 1st *and* 3rd for a RB. No matter how good he is.

C

Man, I really think we need to get big in the middle of our D. DT and MLB positions worry me. I think we need to get Okoye/Willis/Branch or someone similar in the first round.

As for drafting RBs - I think our scouting dept had better come thru in the later rounds. I would also call the Chargers before our pick in the 2nd round and see if they'll ship Turner to us for that pick. No one in their right mind is gonna give up a 1st *and* 3rd for a RB. No matter how good he is.

C

i think the middle of our D in general IS a bigger need than any specific position. thats why i have us taking a LB in the 1st round in both scenarios.

i like the idea of at least calling the Chargers before our 2nd pick, but i think all id offer is Baltimore's 3rd and Swap 2nds. and id probably jsut try to swap seconds before i ever threw in the 3rd.

1st: Patrick Willis

2nd: Antoinio Pittman

3rd: Tanard Jackson

3rd: Kareem Brown

4th: Dallas Baker

My board still has changed none!

1A TE Greg Olsen Miami 6’6 254 4.51-40 225-23X Vert 37 ½

1B CB Chris Houston Arkansas 5’10 185 4.32-40 225-27X 36

2 RB Antonio Pittman Ohio State 5’11 207 4.40-40 225-16X 35 ½

3 OLB Tim Shaw Penn State 6’2 236 4.51-40 225-26X 36 ½

4 DT Paul Soliai Utah 6’4 344 5.10-40 225-45X 29 ½

5 FB Corey Anderson Tennessee 6’2 247 4.70-40 225-19X 37

6 QB Chris Leak Florida 6’0 209 4.74-40 ? 32 ½

7 WR Legedu Naanee Boise State 6’2 225 4.41-40 225-19X 40

My board still has changed none!

1A TE Greg Olsen Miami 6’6 254 4.51-40 225-23X Vert 37 ½

1B CB Chris Houston Arkansas 5’10 185 4.32-40 225-27X 36

2 RB Antonio Pittman Ohio State 5’11 207 4.40-40 225-16X 35 ½

3 OLB Tim Shaw Penn State 6’2 236 4.51-40 225-26X 36 ½

4 DT Paul Soliai Utah 6’4 344 5.10-40 225-45X 29 ½

5 FB Corey Anderson Tennessee 6’2 247 4.70-40 225-19X 37

6 QB Chris Leak Florida 6’0 209 4.74-40 ? 32 ½

7 WR Legedu Naanee Boise State 6’2 225 4.41-40 225-19X 40

sorry, but i stopped after seeing a MIAMI TE as out first pick...

now that we've added a 2nd(3rd) RB and a 4th CB we can look at the draft a LITTLE differently.

yesterday i posted that going into the draft:

today's signing doest change much but i think id reprioritize as:

1. we MUST get 1 RB

2. we MUST get 1 CB

3. we should upgrade our LBs

4. we should upgrade our DTs

regardless of list order, i still think we are best off getting Willis in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd/3rd. that depends on 1. if Willis is there at 12 and 2. what CBs/RBs are still there when we pick in the 2nd.

if we go RB at 12, then i hope we trade back into the late first and grab Puz or Siler, then best CB left in the 3rd.

We should take an early round blocker, either an OC or an OG.

If we do, maybe our next good one won't have to cost 49 million. How about Beekman from BC and plugging him in at RG? Or a highly regarded Center for depth?

If the OL is to be one of our strengths, we must continue to fortify it.

I can't stress enough that if the Bills OL stays healthy, we will be a completely different type of team, one suited for where we play and the fans that we play in front of. Did you like Lee Evans last season? Wait until Losman has more time to throw. :thumbdown:

If we do, maybe our next good one won't have to cost 49 million. How about Beekman from BC and plugging him in at RG? Or a highly regarded Center for depth?

I can't stress enough that if the Bills OL stays healthy, we will be a completely different type of team, one suited for where we play and the fans that we play in front of. Did you like Lee Evans last season? Wait until Losman has more time to throw. :thumbdown:

i agree with you that the most important part of a football team is the OLine. and that it all starts in the trenches. and that we must build that first as a foundation.

but we MUST address some defensive needs to keep some balance. remember when we had the #2 and #3 defense, and were LOSING games 10-3, 12-7, 14-7? well now we are poised to lose games 35-28, 38-35, etc.

we revamped our OLine thru free agency. we lost a lot of D in free agency too. now we turn to the draft to address our holes on D. i have no problem taking OLine later this year (and ill be all for taking it early next year if our plan pans out). but right now, if one of our CBs goes down we have NO ONE to fill in. if one of our DT goes down, our entire Rotation Process falls apart.

as much as i will NEVER argue against taking OLine. it just isnt a good idea for this team to spend any day 1 picks on it now. ...well, its a good idea, but it doesnt fit our pressing needs.

i agree with you that the most important part of a football team is the OLine. and that it all starts in the trenches. and that we must build that first as a foundation.

but we MUST address some defensive needs to keep some balance. remember when we had the #2 and #3 defense, and were LOSING games 10-3, 12-7, 14-7? well now we are poised to lose games 35-28, 38-35, etc.

we revamped our OLine thru free agency. we lost a lot of D in free agency too. now we turn to the draft to address our holes on D. i have no problem taking OLine later this year (and ill be all for taking it early next year if our plan pans out). but right now, if one of our CBs goes down we have NO ONE to fill in. if one of our DT goes down, our entire Rotation Process falls apart.

as much as i will NEVER argue against taking OLine. it just isnt a good idea for this team to spend any day 1 picks on it now. ...well, its a good idea, but it doesnt fit our pressing needs.

Thanks for a well thought post.

I completely believe that we must draft some good defenders. The thing is, our OL in now improved on paper, but these guys get hurt.

A trade down would probably allow us to do both. Going down 10 or so spots would bring us perhaps 2 more day 1 picks, even if one of them is in 08.

I liken the OL to the QB position in terms of the draft. Teams should grab one every year and see what happens. Steinbach, Hutchinson, and Dockery were first day picks. It pays to go after these guys.

Might be a good idea to use that extra 3 or #4 on a C/RG. Depends on who else is available though don't forget we neeeeeeed RB. If we need a RB, why not get the best there is? This might mean trading away that pick and others. I'm just happy(as I am sure you are) that we aren't locked into a CB in the first three rounds. I'd much rather be looking at it from a best available - which with these 2 signings, hopefully, we are.

I'm just happy(as I am sure you are) that we aren't locked into a CB in the first three rounds.

OC, I will not complain one bit if the Bills take a first day corner. What I DON'T want is a first ROUND corner, and I don't think that this is asking much at all.

You are right, we do need a RB. We also need some big guys.

This might surprise you, but if there is any one player that I wish we could select, it would be C. Johnson. The thing is, he is out of our reach, despite the posts you are sure to read about trading up for both of our 3rds. It aint happening. :thumbdown:

Right now, I am leaning toward trading down and gathering yet more picks for this draft and 08.

Jmo.

OC, I will not complain one bit if the Bills take a first day corner. What I DON'T want is a first ROUND corner, and I don't think that this is asking much at all.

You are right, we do need a RB. We also need some big guys.

This might surprise you, but if there is any one player that I wish we could select, it would be C. Johnson. The thing is, he is out of our reach, despite the posts you are sure to read about trading up for both of our 3rds. It aint happening. :thumbdown:

Right now, I am leaning toward trading down and gathering yet more picks for this draft and 08.

Jmo.

I'm not for taking a first round corner either, we need to get a LB imo. In looking at the videos that people posted(thanks all, btw) it appears that there are a lot of #2 RBs all conglomerated right around each other in terms of value. But here's the thing I noticed:

1. Peterson

2. Lynch

3. Everybody else

I think a trade down might net us Paul Poz(PSU) and give us the picks we need to get Brian Leonard and Irons? Hunt? etc. However, if this is our year to get a big time RB, I could also get behind trading up to get Peterson. Who knows, he may fall through to us as well. I just don't know enough to say that Peterson is a no-doubt, bet the house player - I hope Marv does.

1. Peterson

2. Lynch

3. Everybody else

i see it more as:

Peterson

Lynch

Everyone Else

i dont think there is as much difference between the lead and the pack, and id definitely put Lynch closer to the pack than to Peterson...

but hey, neither of us are scouts so... IMO i guess