Are Illegal Immigrants Good Or Bad For Economy?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are good. Most are hard working people would good values who contribute significantly to the American economy. The Minutemen obviously think otherwise.

Thoughts?

here we go again...

I think they are good. Most are hard working people would good values who contribute significantly to the American economy. The Minutemen obviously think otherwise.

Thoughts?

I agree to a point. Having been in the restaurant business for nearly 20 years in southern California I employeed many illegals. They do provide a cheap labor force but the problem is there are way more illegals here than there are jobs for them. Forces the unemployed to resort to more unsavory ways of surviving financially. Also because they are illegal they don't have benefits so they have no health insurance, therefore they clog the emergency rooms when they get sniffles. Also due to being illegal they can't set up retirement accounts such as 401ks. Now many of them will retire back to their home countries but for those that decide to stay will be a burden to the economic system at that time. Last point they hurt the economy because they send an enormous amount of money back to family members in the mother country. Money that would normally be spent here if these companies hired legal citizens.

Well let us first see what it takes to be an American Citizen. Vote, pay taxes, love our country, speak English, work, register our vehicles, pay for our health care we receive, attend our schools and learn as we have, and the list goes on. My opinion is if they can accomplish ceratin goals and be honest I have no problem with it. But they'll need to be monitored which in turn will cost us more money, so therfore I am agiainst it.

I agree to a point. Having been in the restaurant business for nearly 20 years in southern California I employeed many illegals. They do provide a cheap labor force but the problem is there are way more illegals here than there are jobs for them. Forces the unemployed to resort to more unsavory ways of surviving financially. Also because they are illegal they don't have benefits so they have no health insurance, therefore they clog the emergency rooms when they get sniffles. Also due to being illegal they can't set up retirement accounts such as 401ks. Now many of them will retire back to their home countries but for those that decide to stay will be a burden to the economic system at that time. Last point they hurt the economy because they send an enormous amount of money back to family members in the mother country. Money that would normally be spent here if these companies hired legal citizens.

Isn't agriculture still the number one "industry" in California? Without illegals that would suffer or collaspe and the price of food would sky rocket, would it not?

Isn't agriculture still the number one "industry" in California? Without illegals that would suffer or collaspe and the price of food would sky rocket, would it not?

Yes and again the economy will become better because people will still buy at a higher price and the wage paid will be more therefore having more money put back into the economy. But I am sure it won't work that way. Merely my opinion.

Probably not, produce is relatively cheap. If the cost of a head of lettuce were to "skyrocket" it would go to what, from $1.50 to $2.50. I think the average Californian could afford that. They would just have to go from a fifty foot big screen to forty-five. What it could possibly do is force the agricultural industry to mechanize the harvesting process, the most labor intensive aspect. And you missed my point alltogether, not suprisingly. Did you not notice my problem was with the numbers of illegals that cannot find work not those working.

Thoughts?

sure, if you are in the funeral business. This is the 4th time something like this has happened in 3 months here:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1224756/

The driver of a car that slammed into a tractor-trailer Sunday night, killing two people, was charged Tuesday morning with involuntary manslaughter, authorities said.

Luciano Tellez, 31, of Angier, who is also known as Tellez Diaz, was charged Monday night with two counts of misdemeanor death by vehicle, felony hit-and-run, running a stop sign and driving with a suspended license.

Federal authorities have determined that Diaz was in the U.S. illegally and have placed a detainer on him in case he makes his $2 million bond and is released from the Johnston County Detention Center. Authorities said they would let the legal system run its course before determining whether to deport him.

Tellez fled the scene on foot. Two passengers in the car remained at the scene and told authorities what happened.

Authorities identified the two victims of the wreck as Jerry "Duane" Braswell, 35, of 3833 Manor Drive in Clayton, and his 9-year-old son, Jerry Braswell Jr.

The boy was a third-grader at Cleveland Elementary School, and school officials had counselors on campus Tuesday to talk with other students.

"He always had a smile on his face and a funny story to tell," Principal Linda Edmundson said. "Jerry will truly be missed."

sure, if you are in the funeral business. This is the 4th time something like this has happened in 3 months here:

The driver of a car that slammed into a tractor-trailer Sunday night, killing two people, was charged Tuesday morning with involuntary manslaughter, authorities said.

Luciano Tellez, 31, of Angier, who is also known as Tellez Diaz, was charged Monday night with two counts of misdemeanor death by vehicle, felony hit-and-run, running a stop sign and driving with a suspended license.

Federal authorities have determined that Diaz was in the U.S. illegally and have placed a detainer on him in case he makes his $2 million bond and is released from the Johnston County Detention Center. Authorities said they would let the legal system run its course before determining whether to deport him.

Tellez fled the scene on foot. Two passengers in the car remained at the scene and told authorities what happened.

Authorities identified the two victims of the wreck as Jerry "Duane" Braswell, 35, of 3833 Manor Drive in Clayton, and his 9-year-old son, Jerry Braswell Jr.

The boy was a third-grader at Cleveland Elementary School, and school officials had counselors on campus Tuesday to talk with other students.

"He always had a smile on his face and a funny story to tell," Principal Linda Edmundson said. "Jerry will truly be missed."

Trust me, I appear to be on your side of this illegal immigration debate but there are plenty of American born idiots that do this crap all the time.

That's terrible. :thumbdown: It seems that a lot of recent immigrants bring their home countries' driving styles with them when they come here. The result is stories like this.

That's terrible. :thumbdown: It seems that a lot of recent immigrants bring their home countries' driving styles with them when they come here. The result is stories like this.

Yup, because no american ever drives bad, or has ever been involved in a hit and run, or has ever killed anyone with a vehicle before. Damn illegals.

Yup, because no american ever drives bad, or has ever been involved in a hit and run, or has ever killed anyone with a vehicle before. Damn illegals.

Are there plenty of american drivers using faking ids after they get the first DWI?

Horse crap.

If it was american citizen they would have lost their license and/or their car (North Carolina is very tough on DWIs, or for legal citizens it is)

El Drunko was packing his car getting ready to take off to Mexico to avoid jail when the cops.

How many americans get back on the road with fake IDs and different names after they get a DWI?

Second problem, he shouldn't have friggin been here in the first place.

First DWI and he should have been gone.

Plus, the local LA RASA group was calling for "understanding".

Their spokesperson had the nerve to say " these men drink to fight the isolation they feel being in strange country"

Bite Me!

Are there plenty of american drivers using faking ids after they get the first DWI?

Horse crap.

If it was american citizen they would have lost their license and/or their car (North Carolina is very tough on DWIs, or for legal citizens it is)

El Drunko was packing his car getting ready to take off to Mexico to avoid jail when the cops.

How many americans get back on the road with fake IDs and different names after they get a DWI?

Second problem, he shouldn't have friggin been here in the first place.

First DWI and he should have been gone.

Plus, the local LA RASA group was calling for "understanding".

Their spokesperson had the nerve to say " these men drink to fight the isolation they feel being in strange country"

Bite Me!

Yeah, because we all know that when an American gets a DWI they take away their car keys and they never ever drive with a suspended license. You're just getting silly now.

You hypocrite! Over on the slavery thread, you demand that people acknowledge the distinctions you're trying to make. (I.e., that slavery is always wrong, and yet the South's slaves were treated decently.) But though you demand that other people be understanding toward your own posts, you're unwilling to extend that same understanding to others. Here, for example. I implied that recent immigrants are lowering the average quality of driving (which they are). You seem unable to distinguish between that statement and the statement that, "All Americans are good drivers, so any traffic accident at all must be because of immigration."

You hypocrite! Over on the slavery thread, you demand that people acknowledge the distinctions you're trying to make. (I.e., that slavery is always wrong, and yet the South's slaves were treated decently.) But though you demand that other people be understanding toward your own posts, you're unwilling to extend that same understanding to others. Here, for example. I implied that recent immigrants are lowering the average quality of driving (which they are). You seem unable to distinguish between that statement and the statement that, "All Americans are good drivers, so any traffic accident at all must be because of immigration."

Immigrants must have a higher heritability of bad driving than americans.