I really hate to do this...

as much as i want to draft Willis or Okoye in the 1st...

when you reeeeally look at this roster and see that we at least HAVE the number of guys to start at DT(4) and LB(7)

and then you look and see we only have 3 CBs and 1.5 RBs...

if we dont get some Free Agents in here at each position soon, we may HAVE to go:

1. RB

2. CB

3a. CB

3b. RB

This post makes my hair hurt.

i know, right? i realize the ridiculousness of it. but the point is, we are FAR understaffed at those 2 positions.

my trust is in Marv that something will be done soon. but until those FAs are signed, im going to be a little worried.

i would thing it would be safer to go with

DT

RB

CB

LB

but i am thinking they are going to go more with

DT

CB

RB

LB

I think that they are putting a lot of trust in the o-line and will concentrate mostly on defense in the draft. they seemed to have ignored the defense in FA, so i assume they are saving it for the draft. ppl keep saying that marv has a strick up his sleeve about the RB situation, well i think we already saw "it." With him building the o-line, that was his trick. After the o-line was fixed, he prolly felt we could do better than last year with an RB like A-train. I can't see anything else that could be considered a "trick" for the RB situation. I can't picture them grabbing an RB in the first round. The defense hasn't been touched yet in the offseason. I doubt they will ignore it anymore. I think the offense will do much better than last year with the A-train as the RB. Losman and Evans seem to e able to hold their own the 2nd half of the season, and they should do better with the o-line. An RB isn;t as essential as a need as it seems. i think the whole RB situation was done on the thought of a good o-line with a-train can do better than A bad o-line with mcgahee. That was the "trick." But they need to draft an RB as a back-up for sure. and prolly sign another as a back up later

i know, right? i realize the ridiculousness of it. but the point is, we are FAR understaffed at those 2 positions.

my trust is in Marv that something will be done soon. but until those FAs are signed, im going to be a little worried.

If Marv, or any other GM in the National Football League drafts two day 1 RBs, I'll eat my keyboard.

Some people panic about the positions of need. If we go into the draft with 1 RB w/NFL experience, 3 signed CB's, only one of whom has decent NFL experience, and a LB corps that consists of Crowell, Ellison, and Wire, I'm going to be nervous. But we're not at that point. Should Spikes be released, and that's up in the air, we've got to have an excellent draft with guys who can step in. There is no option there.

DT is a position of need, but at this point it's not the priority. RB and CB are. LB comes in a close third.

I'd like Okoye, but as far as getting picks I can't see them keeping #12 and using it on a player. I think they're going to stockpile picks, particularly 2nd's and 3rd's like they've already started to get more of a chance to draft good players.

as much as i want to draft Willis or Okoye in the 1st...

when you reeeeally look at this roster and see that we at least HAVE the number of guys to start at DT(4) and LB(7)

and then you look and see we only have 3 CBs and 1.5 RBs...

if we dont get some Free Agents in here at each position soon, we may HAVE to go:

1. RB

2. CB

3a. CB

3b. RB

Well, we all know that you always get in trouble when you draft solely for position. That is the one positive sign about having so many obvious needs -- there is definitely going to be a player there that can help us at a position of need with each of these picks. This is the part where we have to trust our scouting department. While I'm game for taking who they believe is the best player available, I think it is equally -- maybe even more -- important to carefully analyze the drop off in terms of how good the next-best player would be at a given position. I believe that is exactly what the team did with their trade-up for McCargo last season. They knew that they had to come away with a solid DT prospect from the draft -- and they viewed the drop-off from McCargo to the next-best DT to be a large gap. Thus, they pulled the trigger to trade up.

In terms of the need-picks themselves -- which you can't cast a blind eye upon, despite what I said above -- I highly doubt that they would draft two CBs or two RBs that early. The likely eventual signing of A-Train should serve to fill one of those spots -- and without knowing for sure what Youboty brings to the table, I don't see the powers-that-be investing two day-one picks on CBs when we have so many other needs. Let's not forget that the team drafted 3 DBs with their first 4 picks last season. To take 2 of their first 3 this year would significantly impact other important areas.

Finally, all of this is moot until we see what else they do in free agency. For example, prior to March, I would have argued that the team could afford to spend 1-2 day one picks on the OL. However, with the big signings that were made in free agency, any OL picks would have to be viewed as luxury picks now. The media is pounding us for adding so many holes to the team in the off-season, but despite all that has happened, I don't see our draft needs being THAT different. Even if we had retained Clements, Fletcher-Baker and McGahee, we could not have avoided drafting players at their respective positions. We all knew that Clements was leaving, because of F-B's age we would have still planned for an heir apparent, and drafting a RB to back-fill (or upgrade) Willis still would have been a priority. Thus, CB, MLB, and RB STILL would have been positions of need. The only difference is that (again, depending on what happens in free agency) with actual holes to fill, these prospective draft picks will HAVE to make an immediate impact as opposed to having the luxury of time to be groomed.

Good stuff, but not tied to our reality or what Marv is thinking. No chance at 2 DBs and 2 CBs with the four day 1 picks, but I fully expect one DB and one RB, then most likely a LB and a DT, although trading up could change the dynamics.

Good stuff, but not tied to our reality or what Marv is thinking. No chance at 2 DBs and 2 CBs with the four day 1 picks, but I fully expect one DB and one RB, then most likely a LB and a DT, although trading up could change the dynamics.

i dont think so either, but come on... you CANT say "no chance" on draft day!!! its why we all love it!!