Football player salaries...the biggest problem with the system

The amount of money being handed to high draft picks is a joke. Why is so much being turned over to unproven commodities when many proven players who have been in the NFL for 5+ years will never approach those same amounts. Look at the amount of money thrown at Mike Williams. In todays Buffalo News, I read that Donte Whitner is due a 8+ million dollar bonus. :( This insanity has to stop. Pay the proven players the money they deserve and let the rookies show what they've got before dumping the wheelbarrows of cash in their laps.

I'm not saying they should be signed for the league minimum upon being drafted, but the huge contracts they are being signed to is way out of wack.

The amount of money being handed to high draft picks is a joke. Why is so much being turned over to unproven commodities when many proven players who have been in the NFL for 5+ years will never approach those same amounts. Look at the amount of money thrown at Mike Williams. In todays Buffalo News, I read that Donte Whitner is due a 8+ million dollar bonus. :( This insanity has to stop. Pay the proven players the money they deserve and let the rookies show what they've got before dumping the wheelbarrows of cash in their laps.

I'm not saying they should be signed for the league minimum upon being drafted, but the huge contracts they are being signed to is way out of wack.

I can't argree more. Not only are veteran players becoming shafted out of money, but Rod Woodson said if you're a veteran it's now hard to even make an NFL roster. He said this during an NFL total access program.

I think the last 10 years or so, the quality of NFL football has dropped quite a bit. Not in talent level, but in actual performance on the field. That's because the "next man up" theory of blowing out a player after three years is stupid. Just as you get a feel of what he does best, he's gone.

Many GM's say it's league policy and/or thought to overturn a roster by 33% per year. In three years, you have a whole new team.

If that's true, why give a rookie a big contract and then have him go to another team for his best years (if he's capable of longevity)?

The idea of the draft is to have the top draft pick last ten years. How many players actually do that?

Several players come to my mind. Leonard Davis, Joey Harrington, Willis McGahee, Mike Williams, George Foster. I could go on and on.

Bottom line: Pay rookies a "rookie salary" of 1 or 2 million a year. Do away with the huge contract and signing bonus. Make them prove they can play.

Completely agreed. 50 mil + 25 guaranbteed for the #1 pick without ever playing? What a joke. I think we need a hard rookie cap. There needs to be a max a rookie can make. They are welcome to slot it based on draft slot anf player position, but something needs to be done.