A peer-reviewed study about Wikipedia's accuracy

The 80% narrow-sense heritability means that if you were to try to predict the height of tall people's kids before those kids were born, your best prediction for those individuals is to conclude that they'll be 80% as much above-average in height as are their parents. So if the parents are 1 SD above average, the kids will, on average, be 0.8 SDs above average. What you seem to be pointing out is that some of the kids will may be 0.6 or 0.7 SDs above average, while others might be 0.9 or 1.0 SDs above average. It's always amusing whenever you point out something perfectly obvious as though nobody else was aware of it.

I have a master's degree, and it's from a better school than whatever Cracker-Jack box degree program you conned into taking you on.

Masters degree in what field? And what University?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mods, PLEASE merge this with the 8,563,000 other HA regression threads, mmmkay?

:lol:

It's got to be something soft, like Political Science or English Lit or Volleyball. We know it can't involve math or logical, rational thought...

It's got to be something soft, like Political Science or English Lit or Volleyball. We know it can't involve math or logical, rational thought...

Thats why he wont say what his degree is in. Because then it will fully expose that he's got no idea of what he's talking about. We know its not math or biology, or probably any scientific related field.

My guess is comp sci, from Buff St.

:lol:

There oughtta be a "nerd forum" for math-and-science pencilnecks like yourself to congregate in :blink:

Thats why he wont say what his degree is in. Because then it will fully expose that he's got no idea of what he's talking about. We know its not math or biology, or probably any scientific related field.

My guess is comp sci, from Buff St.

Comp Sci is still too rigorous. You still need math.

I know a law degree is technically a doctorate. Can you get a master's degree in law? It would explain a lot if HA were a failed law student...

I know a law degree is technically a doctorate. Can you get a master's degree in law? It would explain a lot if HA were a failed law student...

It is?

Aren't the requirements similar to those of a master's in other subjects?

It is?

Let me rephrase that: it's called a doctorate. (My sister has one. A Juris Doctorate. She's constantly - and jokingly - bragging about how she got her doctorate before I did. I'm constantly responding "How many articles do you have published in Physics Review.") The requirements...I couldn't even judge. Comparing my degree requirements to hers is apples and oranges. Only way I can think to judge is time in school and class load...in which case, she's closer to a doctorate than a master's.

But then, I was closer to a doctorate than a masters (seriously...the hardest part of my oral defense was convincing the committee that I was defending a masters, not a doctorate.) So how the hell am I supposed to judge anyway?

It is?

Not really. Its similar to getting an MD versus a DDS or Doctor of podiatry or something along those lines. Sure, the latter 2 are still doctors, but they arent "real" MD's.

That would explain everything. It explains his lack of rational thought, his lack of an elementary math and science education, and it would also explain why he has diarrhea of the mouth even when completely and totally incorrect. He does have the typical lawyer "keep on talking even when you are wrong, and flip-flop as many time as necessary to try and prove you are correct" mentality.

That would explain everything. It explains his lack of rational thought, his lack of an elementary math and science education, and it would also explain why he has diarrhea of the mouth even when completely and totally incorrect. He does have the typical lawyer "keep on talking even when you are wrong, and flip-flop as many time as necessary to try and prove you are correct" mentality.

I think I'm still favoring a Masters in Volleyball, though.

Where is he? I've got more "Best of..." clips of his posts to share with him...

:lol::blink:

But but but...I only have a Bachelor's degree from a Big East school...how can I possibly hang with HA? :D

Oh, I've given him more than enough rope to hang himself. I'm sure he can spare some if you want to hang with him. :D

I think I'm still favoring a Masters in Volleyball, though.

Where is he? I've got more "Best of..." clips of his posts to share with him...

Not sure where he is. He prolly needed to clean the McFryer between serving breakfast and lunch. I dont want sausage mcmuffin grease on fries, you know.

I still want him to explain how 0.8 heritability means you get 80% of the trait that your parents had. This means that in a few generations, we'll all be morons with 14 IQ's. So i'm not sure how his definition plays in with his eugenics plan. At that point, even the smartest people wont be smart enough to build more power lines to expand the grid.

Also, by doing some basic calculations according to his 0.8 heritability definition, and assuming that the average generation is 50 years with a current IQ of 100, the average IQ back in ancient rome was somewhere around 200,000. Mind-boggling, isnt it?

Let's review just one small part of this circus. Way back in November, I said

You responded

A day ago, I say

Which is the EXACT SAME THING I SAID IN NOVEMBER. But now, you say:

Even though you were dead-set against it in November. But you still insist today that you know what you're talking about.

And I'm the one not providing intelligent debate? :lol:

There is variation in die rolling from one roll to the next, and it's accurate to describe that variation as luck-based. Whenever you have a test/retest situation, with the outcomes of both determined by random chance or luck, extreme scores on the initial test are generally followed by regression toward the mean on the retest. My quote you provided from earlier is therefore accurate.

Measurement error is one possible method for an element of random chance to be introduced into a test/retest situation. For example, your measured height could equal your true height + (Normdist, SD 1, Mean 0). With the introduction of such an error term, the correlation between test and retest falls below 1, and hence there will be regression toward the mean.

I still want him to explain how 0.8 heritability means you get 80% of the trait that your parents had.

It makes perfect sense, if you accept heritability as a probabilistically deterministic value... :lol:

Things that are different are not the same. I can't tell him that too frequently. Mostly because he can't comprehend it at all.