OT....sorta

DCM

Mmmm Chimay Red. How could a beer brewed by monks not be delicious?  Urthel and Duvel are two other fine Belgian ales and that's not even mentioning the lambics!  Belgium is the Disneyland of the beer world.

66117[/snapback]

Chimay Red? No...no...no. You want the Purple label (Grande Reserve). Better Beer, IMO.

Hoegaarden is also pretty good, and as you mentioned, the lambics.

Chimay Red?  No...no...no. You want the Purple label (Grande Reserve).  Better Beer, IMO.

Hoegaarden is also pretty good, and as you mentioned, the lambics.

66140[/snapback]

Yes the grand reserve is good, but it's a trippel (~ 9% abv) so I can only drink so much of it. The red is a dubbel and a bit more tame ( 7% range). I get less grief from my wife if I stick to the red. :)

For all you American light beer lovers, do yourself a favor and try a Hoegaarden. Not my cup of tea, but it's definitely a light beer with some taste.

Yes the grand reserve is good, but it's a trippel (~ 9% abv) so I can only drink so much of it.  The red is a dubbel and a bit more tame ( 7% range).  I get less grief from my wife if I stick to the red.  :)

For all you American light beer lovers, do yourself a favor and try a Hoegaarden.  Not my cup of tea, but it's definitely a light beer with some taste.

66162[/snapback]

Beers like Chimay are made to be enjoyed, not pounded.

Hoegaarden is good for a warm summer night, with some grilled chicken.

Ahhh, nothing like a good quality beer.

What is your opinion of Czech beers?

First of all....there couldn't be enough of this nectar of the Gods to make me feel any better about the dark cloud that has descended over the Miami Dolphins this year....

back to the off-topic at hand:

Just what does "cold" taste like?  Coors Light's latest ad campaign boldly states it is "the coldest-tasting beer in the world!"  Since when does cold have a taste to it?

I like my beer cold.....and my beer tastes better when it is chilled....is this beer so good that even when warm it tastes cold?

65967[/snapback]

Funny you should bring this up. First time I saw the commercial, I told wifey 'Now that's pretty clever. The coldest-tasting beer in the world. Who can argue that, since none of us knows how to define "coldest-tasting" in the first place. They created the perfect "Corinthian leather." People standing around saying "Wow, everyone knows the best leather comes from Corinthia."

Then wifey, former bar manager, reminded me; they make brew it cold, and they may ship it cold, but you can bet your ass it isn't "stocked" cold.

Clever stuff.

(By the way, I just today scored on a case of Fat Tire, out of Colorado, which is not supposed to go outside Denver. Now that's a beer.)

Yes the grand reserve is good, but it's a trippel (~ 9% abv) so I can only drink so much of it.  The red is a dubbel and a bit more tame ( 7% range).  I get less grief from my wife if I stick to the red.  :)

For all you American light beer lovers, do yourself a favor and try a Hoegaarden.  Not my cup of tea, but it's definitely a light beer with some taste.

66162[/snapback]

Stella Artois has always been one of my favorite Belgian beers but only if it's draft, not bottled. I will take that anytime but unfortunately, it isn't the easiest beer to find anywhere. I know of a few places in Orlando that carry it so those are usual stops. Just about any beer produced in either Germany or Belgium are great beers. Most of the American beers are pi$$ and should be drunk only to get a buzz and not for enjoyment of taste. I personally have found myself drinking Busch as a low cost way of catching a buzz. It tastes like Bud IMO so why spend the extra $2-$3 for Bud or Mich when I can get the same out of Busch.

Also, if I drink anything from Coors, it's Original, Light is just horrible. It's water with a weird flavor and takes about 20 to get you a buzz!! :)

Then wifey, former bar manager, reminded me; they make brew it cold, and they may ship it cold, but you can bet your ass it isn't "stocked" cold.

Clever stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. They go through all of the trouble of keeping it cold all the way and then the distributor, the store, or the bar stacks it up warm until they need it. It's probably worse for the beer to keep it cold, let it get warm, and then cool it again than if they just shipped it warm in the first place. Miller or Bud should do a commercial showing it stacked in a warm warehouse.

Guiness.

It's only 125 calories per 12 oz.

(at least that's what their new ads say)

66438[/snapback]

Guiness, eh? That reminds me.................I'll have to remember to go to Jiffy Lube some time in the next couple of weeks before I come up for the Cardinals game.

Beers like Chimay are made to be enjoyed, not pounded.

Hoegaarden is good for a warm summer night, with some grilled chicken.

Ahhh, nothing like a good quality beer.

What is your opinion of Czech beers?

66168[/snapback]

Love the czech pilsners. I have recently acquired a refrigerator for my beer making in the garage. This means my half size fridge is now a lagering fridge. my first lager is going to be a czech pilsner. :)

(By the way, I just today scored on a case of Fat Tire, out of Colorado, which is not supposed to go outside Denver. Now that's a beer.)

66175[/snapback]

Fat Tire. What a wonderfully complex beer that is. You can't find that stuff east of the mississippi though unfortunately. :)