Toyota to open a new plant in Mississippi

Think about that on Saturday. Or Sunday. Or any day during the week. When the people who should be doing the work aren't, because management isn't allowed to fire lazy or incompetent workers. When unionized American car companies consistently lose market share to their non-union Japanese competitors. When advancement takes place based on seniority. When contract-required job descriptions are the size of the Manhattan phone book. When education in this country has become an abysmal failure. When government agencies and spending consistently grow, and become progressively more inefficient. When jobs consistently get shipped to places other than America. THANKS TO the STUPID UNIONS.

Fixed. :blink:

Always wondered how the US auto workers got such a bad rep...when whats often referred to as one of the best, most reliable cars, the Accord, is assembled in Ohio.

Im assuming the JapANESE process is superior to "ours".

Always wondered how the US auto workers got such a bad rep...when whats often referred to as one of the best, most reliable cars, the Accord, is assembled in Ohio.

The JAPSanese are better at quality control Mr. PC Soundbyte.

Again... It is the people who buy the cars... I have never had a problem with anything I bought... Like I said my Chrysler had 300,000 on it and was running strong...

My take... People dump their Accords or similar after they reach a point... How many of those can get 1/2 a million miles on them and still be SERVICABLE?

Also demographics...

Japanese and lower priced American cars=throwaway cars after a certain point...

Get a nice high-end American car and the thing will be servicable forever!

Again... It is the people who buy the cars... I have never had a problem with anything I bought... Like I said my Chrysler had 300,000 on it and was running strong...

My take... People dump their Accords or similar after they reach a point... How many of those can get 1/2 a million miles on them and still be SERVICABLE?

Also demographics...

Japanese and lower priced American cars=throwaway cars after a certain point...

Get a nice high-end American car and the thing will be servicable forever!

My Acura's got 175,000 on the clock, original clutch and I've had ZERO issues.

Right. Unions are to blame for all our ills. One consolation I have is that you're breeding yourself out of existence right?

Never said unions were to blame for "all our ills," but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Unions have, however, contributed to the following problems:

• Management not being allowed to fire lazy or incompetent workers
  • Looooong contracts which restrict what workers can do (ex. you have to be an electrician to change a light bulb)
  • Unionized American companies losing market share to non-union foreign competition
  • Advancement due to seniority
  • The National Educators Association is one of the reasons why America's public school system is a failure
  • Government unions in general lobby for a higher level of government spending

The theory of unions sounds like it could have potential. At first glance, a union seems like nothing more than workers banding together to obtain more bargaining power collectively than they would have had individually. Yes, unions have sometimes had that effect. But there's a lot more to unions than that, and the "extra" stuff unions do is almost always harmful. So much so, that if you're a unionized company going up against a non-union competitor, you almost may as well close up shop right now.

My Acura's got 175,000 on the clock, original clutch and I've had ZERO issues.

That is awesome... It it is all how you drive it! Good job!... Most people would tear a clutch up...

My 1991 Dodge had 150k and no clutch issues... The thing is that, I took it in and said "just change it"... But, things like that will EVENTUALLY wear and I didn't want it stranding me...

Again... My point FOR THE MOST PART... Isn't about the automobile... But, the person(s) behind the wheel... Notice I put (s) in there... Auto and machinery get much more wear and tear when there are multiple operators... At work, our JD 1050 tractor has been around since 1987... Yet, the many operators do make problems arise from time to time... Yet, it does have 1,000s of hours on it!

Never said unions were to blame for "all our ills," but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Unions have, however, contributed to the following problems:
  • Management not being allowed to fire lazy or incompetent workers
  • Looooong contracts which restrict what workers can do (ex. you have to be an electrician to change a light bulb)
  • Unionized American companies losing market share to non-union foreign competition
  • Advancement due to seniority
  • The National Educators Association is one of the reasons why America's public school system is a failure
  • Government unions in general lobby for a higher level of government spending

The theory of unions sounds like it could have potential. At first glance, a union seems like nothing more than workers banding together to obtain more bargaining power collectively than they would have had individually. Yes, unions have sometimes had that effect. But there's a lot more to unions than that, and the "extra" stuff unions do is almost always harmful. So much so, that if you're a unionized company going up against a non-union competitor, you almost may as well close up shop right now.

In the gov't (fed) here, we are an open shop... You have the choice to be in the union... Some do and some don't belong to the union where I work... What is wrong with that?

In the gov't (fed) here, we are an open shop... You have the choice to be in the union... Some do and some don't belong to the union where I work... What is wrong with that?

The bigger the government department, and the more people they hire, the more membership dues come the union's way. Typically, public sector unions lobby for measures which create larger, less efficient government agencies. As far as I'm concerned, public sector unions shouldn't be allowed to exist.

The bigger the government department, and the more people they hire, the more membership dues come the union's way. Typically, public sector unions lobby for measures which create larger, less efficient government agencies. As far as I'm concerned, public sector unions shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I do agree to a certain extent for GS employees... Now for wage grade (labor) employees like myself (I am a WY), I feel they should be given the choice...