Kyle Williams

The Big Cat

What about Kyle Williams suggests he won't be the man in the middle next year? I thought he had a great rookie season and the few times the run defense did look good, he was in on a lot of run-stopping tackles. Besides keeping his helmet on, what other problems did KW have in 2006 or what physical characteristics does he lack that eliminate him from being a potentially stout DT? Is it impossible for him to take a the 'ole second year leap and come up BIG next year? Or is it a depth issue? And if it is, how well would Buffalo fare to seek out his equavalent; or even his backup?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kyle's high motor goes all season in the weight room, he, Larry, and McCargo could be a good first three, and we just need to replace Anderson with a slight upgrade to be much stronger at DT. Which is why we don't have to force the #12 pick on a DT if that isn't the best player available (just like I'm fine with Ashton, McGee, and KT as our three corners and don't need to force a CB at #12).

We'll have to see what he turns into, but I think he has a lot of good upside as he continues to learn, get stronger, and work hard every play.

If Kyle's high motor goes all season in the weight room, he, Larry, and McCargo could be a good first three, and we just need to replace Anderson with a slight upgrade to be much stronger at DT. Which is why we don't have to force the #12 pick on a DT if that isn't the best player available (just like I'm fine with Ashton, McGee, and KT as our three corners and don't need to force a CB at #12).

We'll have to see what he turns into, but I think he has a lot of good upside as he continues to learn, get stronger, and work hard every play.

He is going to get much stronger if he is to be the guy.....Kyle Williams will never be confused with a pass rusher so he needs to be an anchor allowing the other DT to get his pressure

He is going to get much stronger if he is to be the guy.....Kyle Williams will never be confused with a pass rusher so he needs to be an anchor allowing the other DT to get his pressure

Agreed John.

And we know if he doesn't get any stronger it certainly wont be from a lack of commitment and hard work.

Williams is one guy who will max out his potential to whatever limit it is.(and beyond)

I'm just hoping he can squeeze out some more and be part of an effective rotation in the middle for the Bills in the years to come.

Working against him: he has been a high energy guy for a while now, so it isn't like he has been dogging it in the college weight room and we should expect miracles this year.

Working for him: he is a high energy guy, and no reason he shouldn't be able to maximize his athletic performance curve over the next several years as his body matures and become more physical.

Remember, our D, for better or for worse, does not have room for Ted Washington because of how it is designed. We don't need him to go from 295 to 325. But going to 300-305 and getting stronger and smarter in the process could really make him a better player.

I'm a big McCargo fan too, and think he has the higher ceiling, but I think Kyle can be our #3 DT, a fan favorite, and a big contributor over the next five years. Not bad for a fifth round pick considering our recent fifth rounders are: Eric King, Ben Sobieski, Justin Bannan, Marques Sullivan.

McCargo, Ashton, and Dante have the jury still out on our first three rounds, but you have to think we did pretty damn good rounds 4-7 right now when you look at what normal drafts yield.

He was an odd pick for us because he has such a great natural strength of playing low, yet we've insisted he learn to play a game above the waistline. I think he'd have really excelled as a guy in a 3-4 rotation playing the point on passing downs. IMO he only gets better and becomes an important part of a 4 man rotation in our middle, but the scheme we're playing still begs for a premium one-gapper to make it all work ideally. Kyle is a little short in the arms and just doesn't appear to provide the chance of the major upgrade we really need to move the rest of the D up a notch.

With his arms being so short he needs to really focus on LOWER body strength this offseason. He benched 545 at LSU so I'd say he probably can't get a lot stronger upper-body wise anyways. Hopefully he becomes a very solid anchor-type DT for us and I'm thrilled with that for a 5th round pick if it happens.

Kyle Williams is definitely strong, a hard worker, and willing to learn. At what point is that not enough? The NFL requires a player to have great upside or potential. Just working hard is not enough. Call that negative, but there have been several players who weren't NFL caliber players, despite a great work ethic. Hopefully, whomever they start at DT can prevent the run enough to get teams throwing more into the teeth of the Cover-2. When that happens, I believe you'll see a much improved defense as long as the pass D doesn't suffer a severe drop-off. Whether Williams can do that for us remains to be seen.

If anything, the SB XLI demonstrated Cover-2 teams can become contenders with glaring deficiencies in their defense. Indy stepped it up in the playoffs, having only added McFarland during the season. Though they lost Corey Simon to illness early this past season, the Colts forced teams to throw a little in the playoffs and I believe that's where the Cover-2 is at it's best. The secret to dissecting it is the ability to run. When teams can control the ball enough, they have a better shot of defeating the Cover 2.

That said, it's my opinion that DT's must possess sufficient explosiveness to exploit interior O-Lineman in run and pass defense. Size isn't as important given as evidenced by Indy and Chicago playing with 300 lb DT's.

I can't help but think of Kyle as a giant fish, flopping around on land with his opponents not quite able to net him. I'm not sure that he can get to an exact spot (say, where the QB is standing) often but he is good at creating chaos by going all-out. I swear his a$$ hits the turf on 90% of plays.... I think even more than strength he needs to work on balance and technique.

I think he had a great rookie year and am excited to have him on the team.

I can't help but think of Kyle as a giant fish, flopping around on land with his opponents not quite able to net him. I'm not sure that he can get to an exact spot (say, where the QB is standing) often but he is good at creating chaos by going all-out. I swear his a$$ hits the turf on 90% of plays.... I think even more than strength he needs to work on balance and technique.

I think he had a great rookie year and am excited to have him on the team.

My intention in starting thread was to incite critcism from the 'nay sayers- the negative nancy's. just to see if my optimism regarding Kyle Williams could be shot down.

but the only people responding have responded with nothing but positive input.

<_<