How would you grade Marv Levy as a GM?

How would you grade Marv as the Bills GM.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Marv Levy's Performance.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Personally, I think Marv is doing an excellent job. Let's face it, Buffalo isn't a Free Agent's dream destination. So Marv doesn't go after the guys with the all talent that have bigger price tags than Donald Trumps elaborate wigs(Like Tom "I blow" DonaHOE). Instead, he goes after the high character, "winners". All of the players he signed and drafted bought into the system, and for the most part, played well. All of these pessimists call the guy senile. Well, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so I don't know what senile means. But if a senile person is a person who hires a coach that all players love to play under, trades a 5th round pick for a very good player, and drafts future Pro Bowlers, then one day, I hope to be just as senile as Marv Levy!

Personally, I think Marv is doing an excellent job. Let's face it, Buffalo isn't a Free Agent's dream destination. So Marv doesn't go after the guys with the all talent that have bigger price tags than Donald Trumps elaborate wigs(Like Tom "I blow" DonaHOE). Instead, he goes after the high character, "winners". All of the players he signed and drafted bought into the system, and for the most part, played well. All of these pessimists call the guy senile. Well, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so I don't know what senile means. But if a senile person is a person who hires a coach that all players love to play under, trades a 5th round pick for a very good player, and drafts future Pro Bowlers, then one day, I hope to be just as senile as Marv Levy!

I see three C's already!

Just by chance

I would like to know if these were the same people that were calling Donahoe a "Master Poker Player"?

A very solid B+ so far. Last years draft yielded not only "some good players" but perhaps a true foundation. If (and I realize it's a big IF) McCargo and Youbuty pan out he'll look like a sheer genius. We all need to come to grips that we are not going to be a big splash free agent team and we have to reload via the draft on a regular basis. We can't afford to whiff on many picks if the draft is our path to success. Marv got killed after the draft last year and perhaps he could have dealt down and still got his guys. In retrospect, he took a guy he felt could play and it worked. The rest is details whether you are for or against him. Whitner may have been taken too high for some but you can't argue that he has first round talent and appears well on his way to being, at the very least, an above average safety. If Marv hits on 5/7 (or so) picks per year he's doing much better than most. Here's hoping he keeps up the trend. The draft is such a crapshoot...we need some luck as well.

wow, an F....lemme guess.....He really does serve a purpose---populating every option of the poll with at least one vote...

Can't give a GM who doesn't do the financials of the cap an A -- but I would rate Marv a solid B....

1) Good hire in Jauron

2) Nice Draft

3) A couple of hits in Free Agency (Fowler, Royal, A. Thomas, K. Thomas all good values--Reed, Denney both good retains; Bowen -- failed because of injury; Tripplett and Price--average to slightly below)

4) Changed the culture from top down to collaborative

That rates a B

wow, an F....lemme guess.....He really does serve a purpose---populating every option of the poll with at least one vote...

Can't give a GM who doesn't do the financials of the cap an A -- but I would rate Marv a solid B....

1) Good hire in Jauron

2) Nice Draft

3) A couple of hits in Free Agency (Fowler, Royal, A. Thomas, K. Thomas all good values--Reed, Denney both good retains; Bowen -- failed because of injury; Tripplett and Price--average to slightly below)

4) Changed the culture from top down to collaborative

That rates a B

Someone gave him an F?

(Whoever it is probably has poopy diapers)

You can't really rate him higher than a D. He only performs about 1/3 of the job duties of a typical GM. He doesn't negotiate, he doesn't determine the draft choices, he doesn't take care of non-football management activities, etc. So how could you possibly give him a grade of A-C???

I give him a B as in "builder". He's a consenus builder. After Donohoe's reign someone had to bring the franchise together, get the coaches input on players and scheme, and make Ralph happy. Marv is not really the GM, he's like a "chairman emeritus" or "chairman of the board".

I think he's done his job well. The coaching is better, the draft was not a total disaster as was advertised, team play was better, etc. Bottom line: at least we didn't go 14-2 and then let the staff who took us there walk away!

Year #2 will tell us more about how Marv is doing his job.

Agreed. I give you an A! :thumbsup:

You can't really rate him higher than a D. He only performs about 1/3 of the job duties of a typical GM. He doesn't negotiate, he doesn't determine the draft choices, he doesn't take care of non-football management activities, etc. So how could you possibly give him a grade of A-C???

For starters, I think it's a bad question. Given the way this staff works, the better question would be, "How do you grade the Bills front office".

Only grading Marv, I would give him a high grade so far. He came in with a plan and has been following it through. He brought in a HC that he knows he can work with, and he is a smart enough man to know that he has to let the most knowledgeable people on his staff do what they do best without constant interference.

Marv's title is GM, but he doesn't follow the norm of what we expect that to be. He has come in as an overseer. He's got everyone on the same page and understanding what direction the team is going in and what is needed to achieve their goals.

I give Marv a 'C' right now.

He was a steady 'B' a week ago until the press conference, his lack of knowledge concerning the franchise tag and Willis' remarks about Toronto really gave me a sour taste in my mouth.

Another good draft and some decent movement in free agency I'll upgrade him to a 'B' again, it goes no higher until the Bills have a winning record.

He fooled you into believing what he says so give him credit for that. Believe me, anytime you do not want to answer a question from the press just say you are dumb and all the legends in their own mind in the press corps will believe it and you get a free pass on that question.

He fooled you into believing what he says so give him credit for that. Believe me, anytime you do not want to answer a question from the press just say you are dumb and all the legends in their own mind in the press corps will believe it and you get a free pass on that question.

Agreed.

And isn't this part of the genius of Levy?

It's not about him.

His ego isn't caught up in being the "master puppeteer"(alas Donahoe)

If people underestimate him he will use it to his advantage. And we the fans will reap the benefits.

Go Bills!

I stood in line with a lot of old people at fast food places. Marv's lost and bewildered look was the real deal.

Look. 3 D's & 3 F's and I can only vote once.

Maybe not all Bills Fans have given up. :thumbsup: