Press Conference

firstngoal

People fear opinions that contradict their own.

Yeah, we all fear your opinion. That's the ticket. It's like the scene in the "Lion King" when everyone starts talking about Mufasa.

"Duhluca's opinion?"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's got me all scared. <shiver>

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i suppose those who are jumping ship because the Bills will not spend every penny of cap space this year are the type of people who never have any extra money of the their own because they fail to think about the future.

listen, what all this means is that the Bills will not be going after every big name free agent. Marv has made it clear they want to take care of the O-Line and the run defense, which should please everyone (except for those who will cry when someone is signed that they have never heard about). it seems like London is as good as gone, Nate will get the old college try, but Kelsay will be most likely of the 3 to return next year.

but, to me, what was hidden in all of this is that Marv and the Bills value building a team from within. true, they may not be able to sign many of their guys this year due to anticipated big contract offers. however, by employing the cap philosophy they have chosen, they will be looking to extend the remaining players such as Losman, Evans, Peters as well as Witner, Simpson down the line well before they ever get the chance to hit free agency.

as we get to next post season, i bet you will not see the Bills losing any of their own free agents that they covet, because they will have taken care to extend their contracts beforehand. anyone you see leaving will either be players who are not in the team's plans or those who do not want to be here. once the team is at that point, they'll be able to bring in an impact free agent without worrying about having to make decisions on cap casualties. by doing this year after year, the team will have been built from within, while keeping enough flexibility to make an impact move when necessary.

There is way too much overreaction to Marv's press conference today. He is simply playing close to the vest and not showing his cards like any well schooled GM and coach should do. Regarding his lack of knowledge about the cap, who cares, he is a football guy let the geek accountant handle that matter. Marv and Jauron will pursue players they think fit the bill and ask the cap guy if they can do it, not unlike any business operation. Here are my takes:

1.) Fletcher is gone; they covet an attack dog linebacker, one that makes plays at the point of attack not five yards from the line of scrimmage. Spikes is in trouble as well!

2.) Clements will get an attractive offer from the Bills, whether or not he takes it is another matter.

3.) Chris Kelsey will get resigned.

4.) Marv and the coaching staff are not high on Gandy and Duke Preston; I believe Steinbach is definitely on their hit list.

5.) Kevin Everett is cut; Royal will get a chance because his productivity or lack there of is blamed on holding him in for protection; I guess no Daniel Graham.

6.) Overall, free agency to fix the offensive line, the first pick in the draft will go in one of these directions, defensive tackle or linebacker (remember Marv's comment to Polian about run defenese). I also see a running back being taken early. They are not happy with Willis, but right now they tend to blame the line.

I would be happy if they get a Robert Royals type player rather than investing money in like a Peerless Price. Royals was pretty good for the bills last year.

Except for that whole holding call that basically took the Bills out of the 1st Pats game and then what was the other thing?

oh yeah when like a 2nd grader he couldn't remember to get his second foot in bounds against the Titans and basically cost the game.

So he only directly contributed to 2 losses, no big deal. 7 wins instead of 9, no biggie.

Everything.

There is such a mob mentality when it comes to those of us who don't think the Bills are on the right path. To offer any opinion other than what the masses think gets "ignored". Yet posters who are far more negative like Ramius or Darrin are accepted because the focus of their negativity is against those who don't agree with the Bills.

You can't take anything else away from the press conference than that Marv doesn't know anything about being an NFL GM. Anyone who agrees with this will be attacked.

Again Mr. Happy, Marv is not a traditional GM..those duties are split up between Overdorf and himself. Nobody can make any assumptions based on what Marv said today. All I know, is that Marv will even under difficult circumstances of having an owner who is cheap and crazy, will lead the bills in the right direction. He will give DJ at least a chance to win. Because Marv knows talent and character. If we sign just one free agent for the O-line, that will still give us more options at draft time..where Marv always excelled. Even during the Polian days, Marv was recognized as having a large voice in player evaluations. He knows what it takes to win. If you dispute that, then you're just the ignorant fan.

Pipe--

I got very much the same impressions! Spikes could be out. Crowell maybe to MLB with a free agent aquistion at OLB. Clements sounds like he will get a very good offer but it likely won't be good enough. And very importantly---the OL will be targeted for improvement and Steinbach will get an offer from the Bills.

Contrary to the WGR nuts on the radio---there was a lot to be taken from that conference. They are just too dense to see anything but the superficial. Oh Marv doesn't know the cap or he doesn't know what Willis said.

Also from the press conference---Willis look out for your competition!

Be prepared to be called a fair-weather fan.

Daq, I will ALWAYS be a Bills fan but I most likely will not show it by cutting them a $1200 check this season.

On a side note, it seems like I haven't read a post of yours in a while, are you in school or something?

I respect your point of view, but my question is why do you believe that hte Bills are not going in a positive direction? Instead of just bashing give me recutible reasons why..

Lets' start with Marv Levy.

Marv was forced out of the league because it was thought it passed him by. The Bills decided to make a change at GM. I had no problem with that. I did like TD to a point but not to a point I would be upset that he was leaving. Did the Bills do an extensive search? Did they interview any front office personnel from around the league? Did they interview any former GMs? The answer to all those questions is No! Ralph hired his friend who has no GM experience and was forced out of the league.

And it showed.

The Bills free agent class in 2006 was a joke. They didn't have one impact free agent. Tripplet and Royal? The Bills were 28th against the run and Royal had 23 receptions. These are the crown jewels of the 2006 free agent class.

The Draft? Whitner is a good player. I still think you need to get more out of the #8 pick. McCargo? Did what he does best. he got injured.

All of that and today he admitted he knows nothing about the cap or the franchise tag. He's the friggin GM !

Yeah, we all fear your opinion. That's the ticket. It's like the scene in the "Lion King" when everyone starts talking about Mufasa.

"Duhluca's opinion?"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's got me all scared. <shiver>

Only 4,351 irrelevant posts to go! You're well on your way. Go champ :worthy:

Daq, I will ALWAYS be a Bills fan but I most likely will not show it by cutting them a $1200 check this season.

On a side note, it seems like I haven't read a post of yours in a while, are you in school or something?

Hey I completely agree with you my friend. I was just responding to the others on this board, who believe that money=being a real fan.

Side note: yes I am back in fashion with the 2nd semester, yet the real reason you probably have not seen me much is that my use was suspended for a month because I was annoying a mod on the Titans game thread. Don't go there. It really is not worth it.

Cool, you figured out the Windows calculator. Good job, sporto.

Wow! You responded less than a minute after I posted. I guess being in Alaska there is just not much for you to do until the sister gets home from deboning whales :worthy:

Please wait a couple of minutes before you respond. It makes you seem needy :sick:

Everything.

There is such a mob mentality when it comes to those of us who don't think the Bills are on the right path. To offer any opinion other than what the masses think gets "ignored". Yet posters who are far more negative like Ramius or Darrin are accepted because the focus of their negativity is against those who don't agree with the Bills.

You can't take anything else away from the press conference than that Marv doesn't know anything about being an NFL GM. Anyone who agrees with this will be attacked.

I guess you need to read this post too:

Marv's role

Wow! You responded less than a minute after I posted. I guess being in Alaska there is just not much for you to do until the sister gets home from deboning whales :worthy:

Please wait a couple of minutes before you respond. It makes you seem needy :sick:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Nothing better than the traditional "you live in an igloo" slam from another wannabe retard. You've got so little game for someone so arrogant.

Yeah, I'm needy. That's why I come here looking for validation and hoping everyone will be "scared" of my opinion.

I guess you need to read this post too:

Marv's role

So you are admitting Marv is just a figure head? Someone to toss out for press conferences that the press will be nice to?

He doesn't draft.

He admittedly knows nothing of any of the finances.

What does he do? You are expiring no confidence that Marv is not only here to play shuffleboard with Ralph.

Seeing that the Bills have a much tougher schedule next season, be prepared for a step backwards in '07.

:worthy:

Wow! That's a relief..And I was thinking I would have to watch those boring 16 Games plus the Pre Season again to learn the results...

Give Me a freaking break...it's Feb. 16th for God's sake...No one knows what the Schedule is going to be like next Year...Think anyone knew New Orleans would be in the NFC Championship and the Carolina Panthers would be on the outside looking in?...You don't know (as Jim Mora would say.)..Let it play out...The Bills are Young, improving, picking #12 Overall with a TON of Cap Room...Let's wait and see what happens...

Sorry for the vent but this kinda crap just drives Me nuts around here... :sick:

There is such a mob mentality when it comes to those of us who don't think the Bills are on the right path. To offer any opinion other than what the masses think gets "ignored".

Let's see so it sounds like you are whining that certain opinions are ignored and unaccepted and then you say this:

You can't take anything else away from the press conference than that Marv doesn't know anything about being an NFL GM.

Such tolerance. Can't imagine why people don't take you seriously.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Nothing better than the traditional "you live in an igloo" slam from another wannabe retard. You've got so little game for someone so arrogant.

Yeah, I'm needy. That's why I come here looking for validation and hoping everyone will be "scared" of my opinion.

5 minutes is better but still a little desperate. Once we're done with your timing we can start on your originality. :worthy:

Let's see so it sounds like you are whining that certain opinions are ignored and unaccepted and then you say this:

Such tolerance. Can't imagine while people don't take you seriously.

Maybe I should have said "I" just like you might have wanted to have typed "why" instead of "while".

5 minutes is better but still a little desperate. Once we're done with your timing we can start on your originality. :worthy:

We? No one is going to buy you having a friend. I do appreciate watching you sit around counting minutes while you wait to post (you know, so you can appear cool to whatever imaginary friend you're hanging with today). I guess all that time watching the vampire on Sesame Street finally paid off.