Dixie Chicks and Freedom of Speech

yall

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is complete horseshit. The First Amendment was NOT intended to cover the actions of private organizations, whether they cross state lines or not. Unless they found some sort of FCC involvement where Clear Channel was specifically told to boycott the Dixie Chicks (doubtful...but I've heard it expressed as a popular conspiracy theory), the First Amendment doesn't even begin to apply.

And yes, the Senate hearings may have said otherwise. But anyone who's read my posts in the past knows what I think of Congressional investigations. All the hearings tell me is that they don't have even the merest understanding of what the First Amendment actually means.

When I read this, I thought to myself, why on earth is a post this good coming from Bungee Jumper? You kept up the high quality of posts for a few pages, I'll give you credit there. But then you started throwing unfounded insults at Molson and Oliver. And I thought to myself, yep, that's the Bungee Jumper that I know.

When I read this, I thought to myself, why on earth is a post this good coming from Bungee Jumper? You kept up the high quality of posts for a few pages, I'll give you credit there. But then you started throwing unfounded insults at Molson and Oliver. And I thought to myself, yep, that's the Bungee Jumper that I know.

:worthy::sick::bag:

in one single day you've defended both molson and doucheluca, 2 of the biggest retards on this shorts bus. you;re not doing yourself any favors.

Are you stalking me? Get a hobby...

So I'm doing my usual 7:00 AM news site surfing today, and I'm seeing a ton of "Defiant Dixie Chicks" type of headlines. On top of that these stories seem to have the common theme that the Dixie Chicks were somehow censored and their constitutional right to freedom of speech was violated.

Could someone please let the press know that an artist who says something that pi$$es off 50% of their core fan base, and then those fans choosing to ignore that artist's product, is neither censorship nor is it a violation of 1st amendment rights?

My fiancee, who likes the Dixie Chicks, didn't seem to think they deserved 5 grammys, although she said it was their best album yet. I'm not much of a fan (I think the lead singer has a pig face and she rubs me the wrong way. I would like the other two to just rub me... :blink: ) and I have to wonder how much the controversy they have created impacted their nominations/awards. Not that I think the grammys are a measurement of anything that resembles artistic merit. (*Cough* *Sham!* *Cough*..)

I don't think their new stuff is all that good- I do like their old stuff- and Natalie Maines is by far the best looking of the three, hands down