The run defense debate

generaLee83

Small, penetrating DT?

Agile yet run stopping LB?

In our scheme, neither. We need a big, strong boy to play the 1-tech manned by Anderson/Williams last year. In terms of what's preventing the Bills from being a good run-stopping team, the 1-tech guy is most important.

In our scheme, neither. We need a big, strong boy to play the 1-tech manned by Anderson/Williams last year. In terms of what's preventing the Bills from being a good run-stopping team, the 1-tech guy is most important.

In other words, we need to find a NT. Hence my calling for us to sign Ian Scott or Alvin McKinney in free agency.

Small, penetrating DT?

Agile yet run stopping LB?

explain why

I personally don't want to see another undersized DT that gets shoved around.

Surely it's more to do with talent rather than size.

We need good DTs that can do what the scheme asks of them......the key word is good.

Ian Scott 302lbs

Tommie Harris 300lbs

Anthony McFarland 300lbs

Warren Sapp 300lbs

Tank Johnson 300lbs

Talent......not size.

I really don't understand why people are enamored with the LB position. Defensive LINES make a good defense. If you have a big, powerful, competant, line you can fill in the blanks at LB.

It truly amazes me how many people can't realize that the game of football is won and lost in both the offensive and defensive trenches. Truly amazing.

It truly amazes me how many people can't realize that the game of football is won and lost in both the offensive and defensive trenches. Truly amazing.

Make the Bills OL and DL top ten in the league and you have a 10-6 team next year. We'd be better against the run. We'd give more protection for JP. We'd open up more lanes for Willis .....

It's the line(s), stupid! :(

I really don't understand why people are enamored with the LB position. Defensive LINES make a good defense. If you have a big, powerful, competant, line you can fill in the blanks at LB.

Part of a DLs' job is to contain and string out wide plays so the LBs can make the tackle. A team with a decent OL, rb blockers and a quick thinking qb will eat those fill-in-the-blanks skill level LBs alive.

Part of a DLs' job is to contain and string out wide plays so the LBs can make the tackle. A team with a decent OL, rb blockers and a quick thinking qb will eat those fill-in-the-blanks skill level LBs alive.

Prioritization man. You can't be great everywhere, but if you're great on the line it will go a long way towards making up for weaknesses in other positions. As far as schemes go I'm not a big fan of trying to find players to fit a scheme. Get the best, most physically gifted players on the field and THEN find a scheme that works.

Prioritization man. You can't be great everywhere, but if you're great on the line it will go a long way towards making up for weaknesses in other positions. As far as schemes go I'm not a big fan of trying to find players to fit a scheme. Get the best, most physically gifted players on the field and THEN find a scheme that works.

Spend the money on Adalius Thomas - who supposedly can play the middle.

It's certainly good to work on either line. But offenses are going to try to isolate folks on a LB, and are successful several times a game. I'm not an especial fan of blitzing - everybody would like to have consistent front four (or three) pressure, but it's nice to have a LB that is skilled at it. Perhaps one of those so-called "tweeners" - who have made a bit of resurgence in the past few years...Merriman, DeWare etc.

I don't get to see Bills games, but it's my impression that they lack a decent-blitzing LB. That lack certainly hurt the B'gals, with David Pollack gone early (and likely forever), MLB Odell Thurmann being an idiot and getting kicked out for the season, and FA ex-CFL'er Rashad Jeanty missing several games.

I'm all for the physically gifted - but few players are all-round good at everything. So you are going to have to tailor things a bit, if only due to the inevitable attrition from injury and FA, and when this player comes into his prime, another is slowing down.

It'd be great if we could turn back the clock to 1990 and have stars or above average talent at every position, the NFL has removed teams from assembling too much talent.

In that light, you can have all the big name talent at QB, WR, and RB, but without a good OL, the offense grounds to a halt. The same can be said for the defensive side of the ball. A good front four makes the rest of the D look better. Even if the LB's and DB's aren't stars you can get away with it most of the time.

I only wish we'd seriously attempt to reubild the O-line in Buffalo. Jason Peters is one step, now lets see if they plan on taking about 3 more on the OL. Draft picks might be good in 2-3 years, but to improve now the front office needs to spend some money to let JP, Lee, and heck, even Willis make some plays.

How bout a big penetrating DT? Okoye comes to mind. He played at 310 in college and at 287 in senior bowl (McCargo is 395) and will probably be playing somewhere around 310 for the Bills. Linebacker is a nice thing to get...but we need to stop the run and Okoye will stop the run. Will McCargo play well? I hope so, but I know we are going to need four DT's to be competitive.