Screw You

They are suing a Pittsburgh Police Officer and the city because the officer charged a man with "Disorderly Conduct" for giving the middle finger gesture to the officer. There was no mention of any brutality accusation, just "free speech."

I am wondering how people here feel about this. What do you think?

I think the guy who flipped off the police is an idiot (really...what did he think was going to happen?) I think the officer was too thin-skinned, and if the ACLU has the time to pursue this, I think it needs a hobby.

I think the guy who flipped off the police is an idiot (really...what did he think was going to happen?) I think the officer was too thin-skinned, and if the ACLU has the time to pursue this, I think it needs a hobby.

Actually, since he did it in his car too, couldn't he be cited for road rage? :rolleyes:

You DON'T flip off a cop and then expect to walk away.

...and people wonder why I am an anarchist.

Get out of my head.

Arresting a guy for "Disorderly Conduct" because he flipped the bird? Who among us has not flipped the bird at someone? Do you feel like you should have been arrested for doing it? :rolleyes:

I have heard of people, after leaning on horns and flipping off a driver who cut them off and almost killed them, being arrested for "road rage". ;)

I never said it should be an arrest, but I still do not think you should flip off a cop (well 99% of the time anyway).

I have heard of people, after leaning on horns and flipping off a driver who cut them off and almost killed them, being arrested for "road rage". :rolleyes:

I never said it should be an arrest, but I still do not think you should flip off a cop (well 99% of the time anyway).

I wouldn't say you shouldn't flip off a cop...just that if you do, you shouldn't be surprised if he Rodney King's your ass.

I mean, really...I'm pretty much for people doing what they want, but people have to realize that their actions don't exist in a vacuum. They can garner reactions...not always pleasant.

The police officer wasn't being thin-skinned. Part of an officer's job is to send the message that if you mess with someone wearing that uniform, you're going to pay.

The police officer wasn't being thin-skinned. Part of an officer's job is to send the message that if you mess with someone wearing that uniform, you're going to pay.

No, part of the officer's job is to maintain peace and security and uphold the law and not take juveneile bull sh-- personally...which is not served by arresting a guy for extending his middle finger at you.

My God, is there anything you're not completely wrong about?

I am actually very surprised by all of the previous replies. Personally I do not see a police officer as any more of a citizen than a homeless man. They took a JOB to protect and serve the community. Again, I personally do not believe putting someone in jail for giving a police officer (note: citizen who has a JOB), the middle finger, is a good policy. Heck, we support US/Eichman, and then put someone in jail for raising the middle finger. What is more offensive?

On another note, I think giving anyone the middle finger is disrespectful and is stupid. Whether its a police officer or not.

I don't believe you will be able to find that in any police officer handbook, anywhere. Well unless were talking about the campus police at UCLA.