NFL toughest schedule

inkman

According to this and many other sources the Bills have the toughest schedule next year. Rather than take the whoa is me appraoch, I'd rather look at this empiracally. Every year teams change, especially the last 5-6 years. A few franchises have maintained a level of success but it appears some of that is changing as well. So if one teams success can not be accurately gauged how can anyone possibly know that the teams the Bills are playing will be as good next year?

According to this and many other sources the Bills have the toughest schedule next year. Rather than take the whoa is me appraoch, I'd rather look at this empiracally. Every year teams change, especially the last 5-6 years. A few franchises have maintained a level of success but it appears some of that is changing as well. So if one teams success can not be accurately gauged how can anyone possibly know that the teams the Bills are playing will be as good next year?

I certainly agree in avoiding the "woe is me" approach to next year but I think the schedule is still depressing. You are certainly correct in your opinion that teams change every year it just looks as though many of the teams that the Bills are playing next year are at minimum "steady" but also appear to be on the upswing. The only current blockbuster team on their schedule next year that may possibly be heading downwards might be New England. Of course you could give Belichick a bus full of botards and he'd have them in the playoffs that season. 3 of them would go to the pro bowl.

I'm worried about the NFC east (3 playoff teams this year) and the New Jersey Jets the most.

I'll still go with 11-5 next year with the #5 seed in the playoffs. Something tells me that this young Bills team will respond quite well to the challenge.

I certainly agree in avoiding the "woe is me" approach to next year but I think the schedule is still depressing. You are certainly correct in your opinion that teams change every year it just looks as though many of the teams that the Bills are playing next year are at minimum "steady" but also appear to be on the upswing. The only current blockbuster team on their schedule next year that may possibly be heading downwards might be New England. Of course you could give Belichick a bus full of botards and he'd have them in the playoffs that season. 3 of them would go to the pro bowl.

I'm worried about the NFC east (3 playoff teams this year) and the New Jersey Jets the most.

I'll still go with 11-5 next year with the #5 seed in the playoffs. Something tells me that this young Bills team will respond quite well to the challenge.

Dallas and NYG don't scare me in the least. They were exposed for what they were, average teams in a horrible conference. Tiki is gone and TO can only make things worse in Dallas. Philly should be tough but every year these things change, whether it's injury or FA's leaving or a coaching changes.

How does that make any sense? Don't the Patriots play the exact same schedule except for swapping out two 3d place AFC teams for two 1st place AFC teams? Same with the Jets playing the 2d place teams? Is this soley based on the fact that because NE has a better record than Buffalo in 2006 that they are deemed to have an 'easier' schedule? What else am I missing here?

Regardless, SOS is all about the NFC and AFC division that the AFC East happens to draw in any given year. Yes the NFC East and AFC North are tough draws, but everyone else in the division has to play the same teams, so we are not in any worse shape than the teams that we most need to worry about beating.

How does that make any sense? Don't the Patriots play the exact same schedule except for swapping out two 3d place AFC teams for two 1st place AFC teams? Same with the Jets playing the 2d place teams? Is this soley based on the fact that because NE has a better record than Buffalo in 2006 that they are deemed to have an 'easier' schedule? What else am I missing here?

Regardless, SOS is all about the NFC and AFC division that the AFC East happens to draw in any given year. Yes the NFC East and AFC North are tough draws, but everyone else in the division has to play the same teams, so we are not in any worse shape than the teams that we most need to worry about beating.

I didn't realize that Bob Matthews was the author at first. He is a buffoon.

What looks like the toughest schedule on paper right now might turnout to be easier based on actual results next year. I wouldn't sweat it, and in any case, that's just the way it goes. It's all based on a formula that doesn't aim to screw anyone, although the schedule-makers often-times do that by scheduling 3 road games in a row, early-season games in Miami, etc.

People misunderstand this up every year. The reason the Pats' schedule is less difficult than the Bills' schedule next year is that they play each other.

That means that the Pats have two games next season against a 7-9 team (the Bills), where the Bills in those same slots have two games against a 12-4 team (the Pats). Therefore, the Bills schedule is much harder.

It's really not htat hard to figure out.

Is this soley based on the fact that because NE has a better record than Buffalo in 2006 that they are deemed to have an 'easier' schedule?

People misunderstand this up every year. The reason the Pats' schedule is less difficult than the Bills' schedule next year is that they play each other.

That means that the Pats have two games next season against a 7-9 team (the Bills), where the Bills in those same slots have two games against a 12-4 team (the Pats). Therefore, the Bills schedule is much harder.

It's really not htat hard to figure out.

So in other words, exactly what I said. No, it's not very hard to figure out. It's just amazingly inane lahjik and pretty pathetic that anyone would put stock in it.