The Weather Channel Mess

Tux of Borg

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fus...65-7dc37ec39adf

The Weather Channel Mess

January 18, 2007 | James Spann | Op/Ed

Well, well. Some “climate expert” on “The Weather Channel” wants to take away AMS certification from those of us who believe the recent “global warming” is a natural process. So much for “tolerance”, huh?

I have been in operational meteorology since 1978, and I know dozens and dozens of broadcast meteorologists all over the country. Our big job: look at a large volume of raw data and come up with a public weather forecast for the next seven days. I do not know of a single TV meteorologist who buys into the man-made global warming hype. I know there must be a few out there, but I can’t find them. Here are the basic facts you need to know:

*Billions of dollars of grant money is flowing into the pockets of those on the man-made global warming bandwagon. No man-made global warming, the money dries up. This is big money, make no mistake about it. Always follow the money trail and it tells a story. Even the lady at “The Weather Channel” probably gets paid good money for a prime time show on climate change. No man-made global warming, no show, and no salary. Nothing wrong with making money at all, but when money becomes the motivation for a scientific conclusion, then we have a problem. For many, global warming is a big cash grab.

*The climate of this planet has been changing since God put the planet here. It will always change, and the warming in the last 10 years is not much difference than the warming we saw in the 1930s and other decades. And, lets not forget we are at the end of the ice age in which ice covered most of North America and Northern Europe.

If you don’t like to listen to me, find another meteorologist with no tie to grant money for research on the subject. I would not listen to anyone that is a politician, a journalist, or someone in science who is generating revenue from this issue.

In fact, I encourage you to listen to WeatherBrains episode number 12, featuring Alabama State Climatologist John Christy, and WeatherBrains episode number 17, featuring Dr. William Gray of Colorado State University, one of the most brilliant minds in our science.

WeatherBrains, by the way, is our weekly 30 minute netcast.

I have nothing against “The Weather Channel”, but they have crossed the line into a political and cultural region where I simply won’t go.

Cant the weather change be *both* cyclical and exacerbated by man? I did not realize they were mutually exclusive :thumbsup:

Weather can only be created and changed by God. Now go to allworship.com and jam some of those rockin' tunes.

I like how, a few weeks ago, when it was pushing 70 in the Northeast people were screaming about global warming. Now that it's 20 degrees I'm confused.

Weirdly enough, on this date in 1951, it was 60 degrees in the city of Boston. I wonder if global warming was to blame.

No, back then it probably would have been above-ground nuclear testing. :D

No, back then it probably would have been above-ground nuclear testing. :D

So now it's Chinese missles shooting down satellites. :D

Actually, good timing on this. One of the more , shall we say "left sided" news stations were asked this question on their Saturday morning ask the meterologists questions session. He was asked about global warming. He pretty much states my position on the question, and find it hard to believe that he is allowed those views on that TV station. Anyhow he basically says there are two seperate issues that people confuse and even his fellow weather people tend to ignore facts when they forcast the long term affects. He said the two sides are whether there is a general warming tread? and is it man made? First, he said no way is it man made however he stated, and this is where from the little research I have done, that we still need to reduce pollutates. Not because of GW but because it is good for the environment and our future familys to not poison their water and air supply.

He did however state that these has been a general warming tread for the last 230 years or so, with a slightly larger increase in the last 10 years or so. He says that if you apply those numbers to any forcasting model of course it will show you double digit increases in global temps 50 years from now. But with any weather forcast it is only as good as the numbers fed and when only looking at the one tread line of course it goes up because that all the scientists feed it so they look "smart". But reality is if you feed it general treads over a much longer term, and they can only guess because temps were not really kept before the late 1800's, we are probably more likely to hit a general and substantial cooler tread over the next 50 years. He sadi some have an agenda and try to tie Global warming with industry to try to force clean up, but most realize that the environment and GW are two seperate and divergent issues that have little bearing on each other.