Buffalo City Tower

SilverNRed

Your points are well taken, but would benefit from historical perspective. After the completion of the Erie Canal and the subsequent development of hydrpower in Niagara Falls, Buiffalo was among the ten largest cities in the United States. Certainly it falied to maintain that status, and by the 1960's had dropped considerably in stature. Many of the things that led to the city's downfall had little to do with the benefits of it geographic location. Unfavorableworkmens compensation laws, local high wages for manufacturing employees, a manufacturing infrastructure that had had little capital investment since the 1940's, and significant improvments in transportation and power infrastructure that opened the west and south for lower cost manufacturing activity all contributed to Buffalos ongoing demise.
I think that's my point exactly. Once the region couldn't rely on geography anymore, it took an enormous, almost unbelievable, nosedive.

In the 1890's, Buffalo was the sixth largest commercial center in the world. And that was before they completed the power plant at Niagara Falls that gave the region basically the most and cheapest electricity of anywhere in the world. In the entire world, there may have only been 1 or 2 places that had more going for them than WNY back in 1900. And 100 years later, it's all gone. The region couldn't hold on to any of that good fortune.

But it's still basically happening. There is tons of waterfront property in Buffalo that no one is developing. Waterfront property is the holy grail of real estate and I've never seen a city do less with it than Buffalo. 10 years later the Aud is still sitting there, flanked by a highway and a giant parking lot. The best our city officials can do is try to bribe a fishing store to move in. The Skyway continues to wreck any real plans to develop the outer harbor. People are talking about tearing it down but I'll be shocked if that happens in the next 5 years. A massive new bridge to Canada would certainly help Buffalo as a shipping hub but we all know how that's gone.

Bashar Issa seems like a gift from Heaven, but I really wonder if any local officials are doing anything to lure similar developers to look at our city. Based on the Bass Pro debacle, I have no faith in that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's my point exactly. Once the region couldn't rely on geography anymore, it took an enormous, almost unbelievable, nosedive.

There is tons of waterfront property in Buffalo that no one is developing. Waterfront property is the holy grail of real estate and I've never seen a city do less with it than Buffalo.

Well we do have a few things some other cities dont.

Winter, high taxes and bad politicians to name 3.

Well we do have a few things some other cities dont.

Winter, high taxes and bad politicians to name 3.

That waterfront property that cheaply houses the political machine's cronies will never be removed.

I don't know what the condition is, of the soil and groundwater in areas where the big steel and grain industries of yore plied their trade, but it could be that the first fellow who turns up a shovel there may be in for stellar remediation costs.

If that's so, maybe Spitzer (Rasputin) and Schumer (Elmer Gantry) should be working out that problem, rather than huffing and puffing about things like publicly-funded sports stadiums.