Playstation3, Nintendo Wii, XBox360

stevestojan

Obviously, I've done alot of research already, CNET, googled reviews, etc...

But as I will be dropping some major scratch on this purchase, was wondering who has hands on experience with each system...

Currently, I do not own an HDTV, so the fact that the PS3 has a BluRay player is nice, but not a HUGE influence. I will hopefully upgrading to an HDTV soon as well :thumbsup:

The main reason for me getting either system will be to play Madden 07 and NHL 07 and the next few years releases of each. I only play sports games.

I really feel like its down to the PS3 and the Wii for me as I simply haven't heard as much about the 360 and more importantly its a Microsoft product and you have to purchase multiple add-ons or upgrades to get the full experience.

Any input would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Wow, someone who has actually done research for themselves and not had people talk them into it has pretty much eliminated the 360 from their list? How is that possible? :cry:

Good job Steve, some people only go by influence because more people have the 360 right now and don't bother researching on their own. Get the PS3, you won't regret it. Hit me up with a pm after and i'll give you my PSN name and we can play online in Madden or something.

Wow, someone who has actually done research for themselves and not had people talk them into it has pretty much eliminated the 360 from their list? How is that possible? :cry:

Good job Steve, some people only go by influence because more people have the 360 right now and don't bother researching on their own. Get the PS3, you won't regret it. Hit me up with a pm after and i'll give you my PSN name and we can play online in Madden or something.

Of course, his research was wrong, which is probably why he liked the PS3 better.

Of course, his research was wrong, which is probably why he liked the PS3 better.

However if he "hasn't heard much about the 360," he must not have been doing a very good job researching as not only did it sell more consoles than Nintendo and Sony in Nov/Dec of '06, it also has several knockout titles. Heck, Lost Planet, a game that was just released a week or so ago, has already sold more copies than the PS3 has consoles. :cry: And we don't even have to talk about Gears of War.

If he really did do his research, he would've found that pretty much everyone is saying that the 360 is the console to own right now (along with the Wii) and that the PS3 might be good 6-12 months down the road, but it can't compare to the 360 at this point in time.

Besdies, you can buy the 360 AND the Wii ($300 for Premium if you shop around + $250) for the price of the PS3 ($600). :thumbsup: (that's why it's called the "Wii60")

CW

However if he "hasn't heard much about the 360," he must not have been doing a very good job researching as not only did it sell more consoles than Nintendo and Sony in Nov/Dec of '06, it also has several knockout titles. Heck, Lost Planet, a game that was just released a week or so ago, has already sold more copies than the PS3 has consoles. :cry: And we don't even have to talk about Gears of War.

If he really did do his research, he would've found that pretty much everyone is saying that the 360 is the console to own right now (along with the Wii) and that the PS3 might be good 6-12 months down the road, but it can't compare to the 360 at this point in time.

Besdies, you can buy the 360 AND the Wii ($300 for Premium if you shop around + $250) for the price of the PS3 ($600). :thumbsup: (that's why it's called the "Wii60")

CW

This thread is pathetic. "Research" into bandwidth and fictional concepts like "FTP" so people can play Pac Man or some other garbage. The Wii may cost only $500 or so but you are giving a company money for the "right" to risk your life in the name of having a little fun? Have you all heard of women? Last time I checked, which was very recently, if you "play" with a woman or women and drink a glass of water, you won't die.

I saw this thread and had to throw in my 2 cents.

I have a Wii and a 360, and might eventually get a PS3 when there are actually some reasons to have one (i.e more games).

Right now there is no doubt the 360 is your best bet. The library of games is huge and there are some killer games available.

Steve, feel free to look up games sites like IGN and 1up who will clearly state that the sports games like Madden and NBA07 look better on a 360 than they do on a PS3.

One of the biggest names in game development, Gabe Newell of Valve software (Half-life, Counterstrike, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress) just declared that the PS3 was a flop and a lot of other developers are probably feeling the same way. John Carmack of 'id' (creator of Doom, Quake, etc.) says he prefers developing for the 360. he bottom line is the 360 has more games right now. The 360 has better games right now. And if you read what these devs are saying the 360 will have more and better games in the future because that's the platform they want to work with.

Now as far as reliability goes, I have 2 360's (I know it's overkill, but dammit if I wanna play Phantasy Star Universe and the old lady is playin Viva Pinata, what am I supposed to do?) and neither have had any issue. And even if you do get a broken unit, the warranty and service from MS are good. One of my friends had a unit die almost a year after he got it. He boxed it up and they sent him a new one within a week.

but dammit if I wanna play Phantasy Star Universe and the old lady is playin Viva Pinata, what am I supposed to do?

I just bought Viva Pinata the other day, and my wife loves it. I havn't tried it myself, but she played it for 3-4 hours on both Sunday and Monday. :cry:

I think I need to get the Wii sooner, rather than later, so that I'll have a game to play as well :thumbsup:

I saw this thread and had to throw in my 2 cents.

I have a Wii and a 360, and might eventually get a PS3 when there are actually some reasons to have one (i.e more games).

Right now there is no doubt the 360 is your best bet. The library of games is huge and there are some killer games available.

Steve, feel free to look up games sites like IGN and 1up who will clearly state that the sports games like Madden and NBA07 look better on a 360 than they do on a PS3.

One of the biggest names in game development, Gabe Newell of Valve software (Half-life, Counterstrike, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress) just declared that the PS3 was a flop and a lot of other developers are probably feeling the same way. John Carmack of 'id' (creator of Doom, Quake, etc.) says he prefers developing for the 360. he bottom line is the 360 has more games right now. The 360 has better games right now. And if you read what these devs are saying the 360 will have more and better games in the future because that's the platform they want to work with.

Now as far as reliability goes, I have 2 360's (I know it's overkill, but dammit if I wanna play Phantasy Star Universe and the old lady is playin Viva Pinata, what am I supposed to do?) and neither have had any issue. And even if you do get a broken unit, the warranty and service from MS are good. One of my friends had a unit die almost a year after he got it. He boxed it up and they sent him a new one within a week.

geeeesh!! you guys got WAY too much money to burn on toys.

You guys are jackasses. I've been sticking to my guns, refusing to purchase a gaming system (haven't owned one since the old Super Nintendo days), but this thread was the last straw. I broke down and bought the 360. I've always been more of a sports game guy so I bought Tiger Woods golf, and I bought that Viva Pinata game to try and entice my wife to enjoy the purchase as well. I'll unpack it and set everything up tonight. I didn't buy Madden since I figure by the time I get used to it the '08 edition will be out.

What other games do folks suggest, and is this live gaming thing really that great?

Jesus, I'm a moron. :thumbsup:

What other games do folks suggest, and is this live gaming thing really that great?

Jesus, I'm a moron. :thumbsup:

Gears of War, hands down (as long as you like games were you shoot and kill stuff. :) ).

And Xbox Live is definitely worth it. There's full voice chatting during the games, and it's awesome to play hockey (or Gears of War... :devil: ) against a real person.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=52601

CW

Looks like it's in the Consumer Forum.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=895428

Wow, nice catch! Guess I followed that link from above and forgot to go come back here.

Well guess I'll quote myself..

Hey steve..

I mostly just play madden and nhl2k. I try to stick with whatever system the national madden challenge is on for playing madden. It seems Micro$oft signed a contract and locked it up for the next three years. In other words 360 is going to be the main system for serious madden players.

wii does look fun though..

i've been a PS fan in the past but PS3 just looks like it will fall apart as soon as you buy it. I personally wont buy one unless it becomes more dependable.

.. in the same boat as you.. i'm leaning towards the 360. i can't tell if i'm happy about that or not.

p.s. madden '07 sucked on the 360, i hated it with a passion. it was missing so many features that most other versions have. here's hoping 08 on the 360 will be great.