#12 on Mel's big board

Beerball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerly hope that this years first round pick is a very boring OL or DT....

This is an area that has been sorely neglected......Okoye would be just fine with me

No way an OL is taken in the first round. Maybe a DT if a free agent isn't signed to massively upgrade Tim Anderson's spot. I got a feeling that Ian Scott will be pursued.

I'm personally on the Okoye bandwagon at 12 but Levi Brown would work just fine being plugged in anywhere besides LT or center. Not a pick which will make a lot of noise, but a pick that will decrease sacks and increase rushing yardage! You could also argue picking Aaron Sears in rd 2 to get a similar situation where he could play RT or either guard spot, right tennesseeboy! ;)

I think it's a given. He's a young nose tackle with experience in the Tampa-2, specifically in the Bears Tampa-2, which we are trying to emulate in effectiveness. We'll pursue him.

The Bears run defense doesn't look very good without Tommie Harris. I understand the points you're making, but in my modest judgment based on the Bears games I'v seen this season, Scott doesn't meet Marv's criteria for being an upgrade over Williams, and we do need an upgrade.

The Bears run defense doesn't look very good without Tommie Harris. I understand the points you're making, but in my modest judgment based on the Bears games I'v seen this season, Scott doesn't meet Marv's criteria for being an upgrade over Williams, and we do need an upgrade.

The Seahawks did have success running against the Bears, but across several games, Scott is good against the run. He can't rush the passer much at all but he'll be a decent first down and short yardage DT. I don't know if he'll end up being better than Kyle but the guy we're really replacing is Tim Anderson, and Scott is definitely better than him. Is Scott the perfect DT pickup? No. He's not a great player. But given what I believe is our limited resources, he's good value for us, and I do think he will be pursued by the Bills.

Mel's weekly update is complete. Ginn Jr. and Nelson added to the top 10. Marshawn Lynch took a big drop from #8 to #18 for some reason. Here's the skinny:

*1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: Same

He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's also a hard worker and very team oriented.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same

Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: Same

Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

*4. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: same

Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm. Decision-making improved significantly this season.

*5. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: 6

Talented RB with an excellent burst to the outside for a back his size. The concern is durability.

*6. Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: 5

Gifted athlete, coming off an exceptional 2006 campaign. A complete player, equally as solid versus the run as he is as a pass rusher.

*7. Reggie Nelson, S, Florida (5-11½ 198) | previous: UR

Outstanding football player who can hit like a safety and excel in coverage like a CB. That unique combination is what makes him such a highly regarded NFL prospect.

*8. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 7

Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space-eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

*9. Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State (5-11, 175) | previous: UR

Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, bringing a big-play dimension to the WR spot and also the return game.

10. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: 9

Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

11. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 10

Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

12. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 11

Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry lead LSU with 42 solo tackles.

13. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 12

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield. He's second on the Cardinals in both sacks and tackles for loss.

14. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4½, 215) | previous: 13

Super hands and concentration with outstanding speed-to-size ratio. He caught a touchdown pass in the final five games of the season.

*15. Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: 14

Has the size and natural pass receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller CB's. Also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

*16. Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: 15

Came through with a number of highlight film type "wow" plays this season. If he runs well at the Combine, Meachem could elevate his draft position in the weeks leading up to the draft.

17. Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas (6-5, 308) | previous: 16

Ugoh's stock has been rising all year to the point where he's one of the more intriguing senior prospects in the nation.

*18. Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: 17

Not only gifted from a pure talent standpoint, but he also has the work ethic to match. Johnson is active, alert, and extremely productive.

*19. Marshawn Lynch, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: 8

Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

20. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 18

Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

*21. Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida (6-5, 250) | previous: UR

Speed rusher who is also excellent in pursuit, using his lateral quickness to chase down running plays before they can amount to anything.

*22. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina (6-3, 200) | previous: 19

Angular wide-out with a nice burst out of his break and above average hands. The key for Rice will be how well he runs at the combine workout.

23. Ryan Kalil, C, USC (6-2½, 292) | previous: 20

His performance during the latter stages of his career has been that of a first- or second-round draft choice.

*24. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 21

Moves right to the top of a very subpar LB'ing corps overall, particularly from the senior class. His production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you with Timmons.

*25. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas (5-11, 189) | previous: UR

Extremely confident man to man cover corner, thriving on the challenge of going against the opposition top wide-out. A very physical corner with a superior strength quotient, he's at his best in bump and run coverage.

*-denotes underclassman