More Buffalo (City) bashing

He's not? I would agree that Tallinder is their best defensman, but how's he been this year? Campbell is plus-17 as an offensive defensman. He lays hits. He's been the team's most consistent defensive player since January of 2006. His points are down this year, mainly because of the struggling PP, but he's still probably more gifted offensively then the others. There were stretches where he was logging over 30 minutes of ice time per game this year. His team has the most wins in the league.

He doesn't deserve to start? Who does?

That was my main problem with that guy's blog. He judged defensemen by their point totals. I hate the day that they started awarding the Norris to the most productive d-man. It has completely warped people's view of the position.

That was my main problem with that guy's blog. He judged defensemen by their point totals. I hate the day that they started awarding the Norris to the most productive d-man. It has completely warped people's view of the position.

Exactly. He mentions Kaberle and McCabe, followed by "Sure, they're minus players, but..." Just funny. They rack up points on the PP and then get shelled in 5-v-5.

Souray is excellent, by the way.

He's not? I would agree that Tallinder is their best defensman, but how's he been this year? Campbell is plus-17 as an offensive defensman. He lays hits. He's been the team's most consistent defensive player since January of 2006. His points are down this year, mainly because of the struggling PP, but he's still probably more gifted offensively then the others. There were stretches where he was logging over 30 minutes of ice time per game this year. His team has the most wins in the league.

He doesn't deserve to start? Who does?

Nothing against Campbell, I'll be there tonight cheering him on. It's just my opinion that out of the 3, he's the most questionable. If it weren't for fan voting, he's not in. That's all I'm saying...GO SABRES!!!

Nothing against Campbell, I'll be there tonight cheering him on. It's just my opinion that out of the 3, he's the most questionable. If it weren't for fan voting, he's not in. That's all I'm saying...GO SABRES!!!

Are you talking about the Sabres top 3 there? If yes, who's the third guy in your top 3?

I would agree with him about that downtown area around the HBC arena. It's awful. But then, many other cities have the same problem. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

He's 100% right about the area around the arena. It bugs me every single time I'm down there. Ten years ago we built this beautiful new arena and, ten years later, it's surrounded by parking lots and empty, burned out buildings.

I know our city is being run by a bunch of total retards but I can't believe it never occured to anyone to actually develop that area. I guarantee if they built some apartment towers with stores and restaurants on the street level, it'd make a huge difference. The apartments would go fast because you'd always be within walking distance of the baseball park and the HSBC arena.

The inner harbor development sketches (the ones with Bass Pro that we're moving ahead with without Bass Pro) showed some new buildings around the arena so maybe one of our local leaders stopped stealing from the taxpayers long enough to grow a brain, but I'll be skeptical until it actually happens.

Hmmm, I don't know. I can't say I have a firm grasp of all of the defensmen in the Eastern Conference, but I'm wondering who should be there if Campbell isn't. Who would you place there? Certainly Souray...And the best defensman from the team who's led the conference all year is left off? Not arguing, just wondering who's been better. You said you're going to the game, so you've obviously watched Campbell all year. You haven't been completely impressed? I have. If it weren't for fan voting, Campbell may not be starting, but he'd WITHOUT A DOUBT would be an All Star. He's played that well.

Anyways, the fan voting is great. It seems fair that the fans get to pick 6 of the 22 players who will be on each squad. It doesn't matter much...It's the same thing that I crack up about in the arena before each game when they announce the starting lineups..."Now, Ladies and Gentlemen, here are tonight's STARTING LINEUPS!!!! Stand up and put your hands together for the guys who will play the first 40 seconds of the game!!!"

The area east of HSBC has a lot of potential. Prime, affordable real estate. There was a huge, crime ridden project east of downtown that has been exterminated which helps a large area in and around downtown. What happens to that open space has yet to be determined. Who knows what can happen, good or bad? Remember Chippewa before it's renaissance? Who ever envisioned such a turnaround? Remember how that street was in the 70's? I used to work in the bus station during the early 80's. Sometimes, I finished work after the last bus had already left so I had to walk through downtown and up Elmwood to get home. This was when they were building the subway and Main Street was no longer accessible. It was very dangerous and scary. I still can't believe the positive changes. Put in some nice, relatively affordable condos and maybe some companies will decide that the trendy can be profitable and base themselves downtown. This may sound like a pipe dream (it is) but dreams of urban renewal have been realized in other cities such as San Diego.

As for the All Star selections tilting towards the Buffalo Sabres... Like that happens every year? Or any year in the past? Or voters in other cities haven't supported their players now or in the past? Quit your whining wimpy! Theoretically, there are much larger populaces and fan bases than Buffalo's who can reap much greater havoc with the voting process. We aren't talking about a last place team stuffing the ballots because a bunch of teeny boppers like some players mullet. The Buffalo Sabres were in a very competitive Eastern Conference final last season and is among league leaders this season. I don't care to slam any other city or team to buttress my opinion. The system is broken because it allows ballot stuffing. But most any system will have snubs.

If the author wishes to crusade, how about encouraging the NHL braintrust to reinstitute having all teams play home and homes with each other. That would do more for luring viewers away from their favorite programs than any All Star game. The idea is to establish continuity not a casual viewing of a single game that has little bearing on the standings. There is an entire half of the continent that would also like to see guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin. What will happen if Pittsburgh does move to Kansas City or Winnipeg and the Northeast has no option but Versus and HNC to see some of the NHL's biggest young stars? Imagine if Crosby, Malkin and company no longer visit Montreal, Toronto, New York, Boston and all the other cities that have large hockey supporting populations? PR disaster. And by the way there is a loyal following of fans that miss having the Sabres visit the western side of the Mississippi , ex: Anaheim, L.A.and Phoenix.