Are you against trading the 12th pick?

I am not against trading the pick in principle, providing we get a lot for it, and select players in positions at which we are lacking.

For example, in 2001 we traded away a #14 to Tampa Bay for their 21st, and a 2nd round pick. Imo, this #12 is worth more than this, because:

A) Obviously, a 12th is a better pick than a #14.

B) Because of the higher cap, there is a lack of quality UFAs, thus making the draft almost the only avenue to improve a football team. This should cause picks to increase in value.

Also; in 2001, we of course selected a defensive back first (Clements) once again. The thing is, we followed this up with a DE (Schobel), RB (Henry), DT (Edwards) and an OT (Jennings). We did enter this draft with an extra 3rd. To his credit, TD went after players at positions which are hard to fill, and was successful.

Otoh, Marv entered the 06 draft with the #8 and an extra early 3rd (4 first day picks). He came away with a safety, a very questionable DT, and a CB about whom nobody has a clue. I defy anyone to compare the 2 and tell me that 01 was not a better 1st day. If this wasn't enough suffering, Marv opened Day 2 with yet another safety; this after signing UFAs at both safety and corner. Now, we are still said to need defensive backs? Sorry, but this sucks.

If Marv can remember that he already devoted the 06 offseason to the secondary and see fit to draft players at other positions early, a trade down might just work. If not, he might as well stand pat and just grab a corner at #12, even if 2 are already selected. Why get confused, ya know?

I am not against trading the pick in principle, providing we get a lot for it, and select players in positions at which we are lacking.

For example, in 2001 we traded away a #14 to Tampa Bay for their 21st, and a 2nd round pick. Imo, this #12 is worth more than this, because:

A) Obviously, a 12th is a better pick than a #14.

B) Because of the higher cap, there is a lack of quality UFAs, thus making the draft almost the only avenue to improve a football team. This should cause picks to increase in value.

Also; in 2001, we of course selected a defensive back first (Clements) once again. The thing is, we followed this up with a DE (Schobel), RB (Henry), DT (Edwards) and an OT (Jennings). We did enter this draft with an extra 3rd. To his credit, TD went after players at positions which are hard to fill, and was successful.

Otoh, Marv entered the 06 draft with the #8 and an extra early 3rd (4 first day picks). He came away with a safety, a very questionable DT, and a CB about whom nobody has a clue. I defy anyone to compare the 2 and tell me that 01 was not a better 1st day. If this wasn't enough suffering, Marv opened Day 2 with yet another safety; this after signing UFAs at both safety and corner. Now, we are still said to need defensive backs? Sorry, but this sucks.

If Marv can remember that he already devoted the 06 offseason to the secondary and see fit to draft players at other positions early, a trade down might just work. If not, he might as well stand pat and just grab a corner at #12, even if 2 are already selected. Why get confused, ya know?

I didn't think using real evidence to back up your opinion was permitted on this board. Not that i mind .. just hope it's not contagious

I defy anyone to compare the 2 and tell me that 01 was not a better 1st day. If this wasn't enough suffering, Marv opened Day 2 with yet another safety; this after signing UFAs at both safety and corner. Now, we are still said to need defensive backs? Sorry, but this sucks.

get back to me in 5 years when the 2006 draft class has had the same amount of time to develop before I start comparing the 2 years.

I don't see this team going with another DB in the first day unless Nate is gone by then, and if he is, its a good choice. If Nate is still here and a DB is chosen, I will join you in your crusade (you can copy this and hold me to it) The only way a DB will be chosen in the first is if we lose one of the starters in FA

I think we can certainly trade the pick if we get more draft value in return. We need to take advantage of some team getting jumpy to get a particular guy or draft a particular need. But I don't think Marv will do it. I would be tempted to trade down if the best player available at our pick is not a OG/DT/MLB/CB/TE, because when you actually make a pick it should be for the best football player available at that pick, and if that position doesn't match up with your needs, take him anyway, or trade down for more picks.

I'm with you. I wouldn't mind dropping into the 20's and picking up an extra 2nd rounder. We could probably get the #2 CB on the board in the 20s, and snag a stud DT and OG in the second round.

I think the trade Donahoe orchestrated in 2001 was brilliant but to expect a top 20 pick in the 1st and 2nd Round pick for a top 15 pick will be difficult to pull off again unless a team falls in love with a certain player, like the Bucs did with Kenyatta Walker.

This is going to be a very important draft for the Bills, especially based on what happens with Nate Clements. IF the Bills can trade down to the mid 20s in the first round, and pick up and extra second round pic, I'd be OK with it, as long as there isn't a difference making OL or DL that we would be passing up on. So obviously, we won't know the answer to this question until the Bills are on the clock with the 12th pick in April...