DT from Tennessee

Adam

Anyone think he'll be there with our #2 pick- he looks like the best run stuffer out there this year.

I'm assuming you're talking about Justin Harrell?

I wouldn't really want him, esspicially for us in the 2nd. He's a late 2nd, early 3rd, he seems lazy at times. Besides, if we are looking to draft DT in the 2nd round (meaning we got another need in the 1st), we would probably be able to select either Franklin Odam from Texas or from Ohio State Quinn Pitcock who have much better potential then Harrell does.

Anyone think he'll be there with our #2 pick- he looks like the best run stuffer out there this year.

It depends on their assessment of what they think they can get from McCargo, This likely is the offenses turn in this draft and just as they used all their intial picks on D players until well into the second day, generally the default is going to be for the Bills to want to use a good chunk of their first day choices on the O in this draft.

This is the default but is going to be subject to alteration based on who they assess as good and it likely will take a very solid Combine performance to allow a backer of a D selection to win this debate.

Harrell goes on the possible list based on his performance this year, but he will need a great combine performance and a good interview to close the deal over O choice and depending upon how the Fletcher negotiations go and assessment of the TKO recovery and Crowell recovery if there is an LB they are impressed with I think this position may be a D priority over a DT.

If they judge that we need immediate help (as our porous run D seems to indicate) I think it is much more likely for them to try to solve this problem by looking for an FA run stuffer rather than drafting yet a third highly ranked (or performing in Williams case) DT from the draft.

I wouldn't really want him, esspicially for us in the 2nd. He's a late 2nd, early 3rd, he seems lazy at times. Besides, if we are looking to draft DT in the 2nd round (meaning we got another need in the 1st), we would probably be able to select either Franklin Odam from Texas or from Ohio State Quinn Pitcock who have much better potential then Harrell does.

I don't think that is a fair assesement at all. I'm guessing you did not see the Florida game, where he played with a torn bicep when he was advised not. It was incredibly gutty. IMO, he's exactly the kind of guy Marv is looking for when he mentions character.

Those guys are both first rounders and will not be there in the second round.

Those guys are both first rounders and will not be there in the second round.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Pitcock is the kind of high-motor player that is liable to unimpress during workouts, and Okam didn't have a great junior year and might stay in school.

As for Harrell -- too injury prone. He was out almost all of this season with a torn bicep and he missed various games the in past seasons with injuries as well.

Justin plays his heart out when he is not injuried. Unfortunately, I think the torn bicep will hurt his draft ranking and he could slip to the 2nd ord 3rd round. I think Marv will take him if he is still around in the 3rd, otherwise I expect the Bills to remain committed to upgrading the o-line.

Justin plays his heart out when he is not injuried. Unfortunately, I think the torn bicep will hurt his draft ranking and he could slip to the 2nd ord 3rd round. I think Marv will take him if he is still around in the 3rd, otherwise I expect the Bills to remain committed to upgrading the o-line.

Is he worth consideration in the 2nd?

This likely is the offenses turn in this draft and just as they used all their intial picks on D players until well into the second day, generally the default is going to be for the Bills to want to use a good chunk of their first day choices on the O in this draft.

Other than the maniacs on this board screaming for OL- what evidence is there that the Bills will focus on offense more than defense in this draft?

Even if the Bills take an OL, the Bills need significant upgrade at DT and LB and also CB if Nate is not resigned.

Fletcher is as good as gone- so they are probably 2 LBs short.

The one advantage of the cover 2 is that it requires smaller faster LBs which are not in as much demand for other teams- so you can get them later, eg Keith Ellison.

Is he worth consideration in the 2nd?

No. Injuries are bad news.

Someone made a good point yesterday that, what are the chances the Bills draft another DT after drafting McCargo and Williams last year? I think they'll go the free agency route this time. While there are no great difference makers at DT in free agency this year, the Bills can still find someone better than Tim Anderson. I'm in agreement with others that Ian Scott is a decent bet to come here. There aren't too many Tampa-2 teams out there. He's young, he'll be relatively cheap. He's a nose tackle, we need a nose tackle.

Earlier in the seasons and after looking at last years draft, I would have also said expect a very offence heavy draft this year, but after watching the team play, and hearing comments from Marv, Dick and Ralph, I have a feeling more defensive help is on the way. It may not be as much defence as last year, but a big chunk of it will be. They know they need to stop the run better, and i believe this means more looks at other DT's. McCargo and Tripplett are probably locks for next year, but I would think a couple other will be brought in to challenge for the other side to replace Anderson.

I think the offence will be fixed through FA and the defence through the draft, the Bills offence is good enough to get them some wins, but they seem to have realised that a dominating defence wins games. Just look at the Bears and Ravens this year, 2 great defences with decent offences (well sub par offence for Chicago). Indy has a dominating offence, but can't get it done cause the defence is sub par

No. Injuries are bad news.

Someone made a good point yesterday that, what are the chances the Bills draft another DT after drafting McCargo and Williams last year? I think they'll go the free agency route this time. While there are no great difference makers at DT in free agency this year, the Bills can still find someone better than Tim Anderson. I'm in agreement with others that Ian Scott is a decent bet to come here. There aren't too many Tampa-2 teams out there. He's young, he'll be relatively cheap. He's a nose tackle, we need a nose tackle.

Actually, up until this year, his only injury was a broken ankle in his freshman year.

That's huge chunks from two out of four years that he's missed entirely due to injury. You want to take that chance with a 2nd-rounder?

I am a huge Tennessee fan, and I would not take him any higher than the 3rd round. He played well in the FL game with the torn bicep, but I have to believe the rehabilitation to get back to 100% strength will be long and hard. I would have draft Mahelona last year before Harrell this year.

As for Harrell -- too injury prone. He was out almost all of this season with a torn bicep and he missed various games the in past seasons with injuries as well.

I’m not saying Justin Harrell is the key to the Bills d-line issues, but if you’re going to post about a player, be accurate. He is in no way worthy of the label "injury prone".

This kid’s total college injury experience was a broken ankle in his freshman year and a torn bicep this past season---with which he played the entire Tennessee v. Florida game, one-armed and against doctor’s pre-surgery orders. He is 6’4”, 300lbs and a very good DT. He was not a lazy player and was an above average leader on the Vols. He started 22 of UT’s 24 games his sophomore and junior years. He was All-SEC and the Cotton Bowl Defensive-MVP in 2005. After deciding to return to UT for his senior year (2006)---he was projected as a mid-second to late third rounder after his junior year---he did miss most of his senior year due the torn bicep. He is not the beast that John Henderson was at UT, but he’s a very good DT with an above-average work rate and extremely high character. I bet he’s on the Bills’ board come draft time, but not as a first rounder.

Yep, I like Harrell's toughness for playing against Fla. I like him as a player, too -- his loss was the reason TN was porous against the run this season. But frankly, I would never use a 2nd-rounder on a player that missed huge chunks of 2 out of 4 seasons due to injury. You can disagree, however.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Pitcock is the kind of high-motor player that is liable to unimpress during workouts, and Okam didn't have a great junior year and might stay in school.

Dont take this as the bible, but every mock draft I have seen has both of those guys going mid to late first, but that could also mean nothing too. But I have liked Pitcock plays low and get in the back field alot, very tough guy to block one on one. Not sure if he is worthy of the 12 spot though