45 yds-slightly inclement conditions

dave mcbride

Were you there? Were you at the game? Did you feel the wind? Did you see it swirl?

I was. I was there. I saw it. It would have been more likely we could have made a 1st down than made the FG. Let's not be silly here, OK?

878553[/snapback]

Obviously, I wasn't there, but I have seen worse conditions (many, in fact) where kickers manned up and punched it through from 45-48 yards. Like I admitted earlier, though, going for it on fourth was hardly a bad decision. I respect it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are just flat out wrong.  Sorry.  Sit at the 50 yard line in this stadium for 150 or so games and then tell me about the "slightly inclement" conditions.  A 50/50 shot?  :doh:

Here's the truth for a lot of you out of towners who don't get to many games.....the wind alters WAY too many games here, and it's worse now than it was before they closed up the tunnel end with luxury boxes.  It used to be a factor 3-4 times per year.  Now, when it's NOT a factor it's news.  It can be dead calm in the parking lot and nearly the same in the stands, and the flags on the posts can be flapping gently, but the wind is whipping and swirling on the field, and especially in that scoreboard endzone.  As Lori says, the ball reaches the goal line and hits a brick wall.  I'm all for playing in the elements, but I'm getting sick of this man-made wind tunnel effecting the outcome of games and the quality of offensive football we get to see.  If the field were tilted toward one endzone over the other, it would be no different than it is now.

878550[/snapback]

Another thought: since I do in fact believe you about the wind, maybe it's all for the best, because in the end I'd like to see kickers have less of a role in the game.

Maybe I'm putting too much into what RL said afterwards, and if I am, I apologize. I just felt like it was a bad decision all around, and I guess I'm not quite sure who to blame. Basically, though, playing the percentages, trying to kick the FG would have been the path that offered the greatest chance of success.

878075[/snapback]

Lindell is not a good clutch kicker never has been, remember the colts game he missed a much shorter field goal in a DOME when the game was on the line, he wasnt even close, choke!