Beerf on Weck

aussiew

Lori graciously sent me a recipe for home made rolls. But I'm out of time. I'll have to buy the rolls and add the seeds and the salt. Do I bush with egg white mixture first and then sprinkle the stuff on them? Then what? In the oven for a few minutes? What temp and how long?

Thank you all all and Merry Christmas

Lori graciously sent me a recipe for home made rolls. But I'm out of time. I'll have to buy the rolls and add the seeds and the salt.  Do I bush with egg white mixture first and then sprinkle the stuff on them?  Then what? In the oven for a few minutes?  What temp and how long?

Thank you all all and Merry Christmas

875642[/snapback]

For store-bought:

Get a decent grade of Kaiser rolls - no egg rolls.

Turn on your stove broiler.

Cut the rolls and put them cut side down on a baking sheet (tops and bottoms).

Brush with egg white, then sprinkle with caraway seed on the bottoms and with caraway seed and kosher salt on the top.

Put them under the broiler until the egg white sets, locking the seeds and salt in place.

Get a packet of McCormick or other brand, of au jus sauce. I think it makes 3 cups.

Mix and heat according to directions. If you have reserved some pan drippings and fluid from the roast, put that in, too.

Slice your cooled roast thinly, and toss that into the hot au jus. Put the beef on the prepared rolls with tongs. I like to dip my roll top into the au jus, too.

Good luck!

For store-bought:

Get a decent grade of Kaiser rolls - no egg rolls.

Turn on your stove broiler.

Cut the rolls and put them cut side down on a baking sheet (tops and bottoms).

Brush with egg white, then sprinkle with caraway seed on the bottoms and with caraway seed and kosher salt on the top.

Put them under the broiler until the egg white sets, locking the seeds and salt in place.

Get a packet of McCormick or other brand, of au jus sauce. I think it makes 3 cups.

Mix and heat according to directions. If you have reserved some pan drippings and fluid from the roast, put that in, too.

Slice your cooled roast thinly, and toss that into the hot au jus. Put the beef on the prepared rolls with tongs. I like to dip my roll top into the au jus, too.

Good luck!

875657[/snapback]

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it after Christmas.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it after Christmas.

875692[/snapback]

The beef is easy to do, too. One usually makes it the day before.

For the beef, get a rump roast. Remove it from the store wrap the day before, scrape it off with a table knife and wrap it in a few layers of paper toweling, and put that in a loose, unsealed plastic bag then into the fridge.

You want to draw moisture out and concentrate flavor.

Take it out of the fridge about a half hour before cooking. Set the oven at 325 def. F

On all surfaces, grind a little bit of black pepper on it, sprinkle a little bit of marjoram powder and onion powder (don't go overboard), and then sprinkle some kosher salt on it. If it has a fat membrane on one surface, cut through that here and there so it won't try to curl. Don't remove any fat. Then cook it fat side down.

Using a meat thermometer is essential. Remove at 130 deg. F. Cover with loose foil, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then cut it into thirds - you want to get some juice to ooze out.

Feel free to enjoy a rump roast dinner with one of the thirds.. :lol:

In a half hour or so, move the meat to a sealed container into the fridge. Put the pan scrapings and juices into a container - to add to the au jus mix later on.

I use an electric knife to slice it after it's been refrigerated - laying the pieces on a cutting board, removing any fat chunks, and just hacking away at it, trying for thinness.

For the beef, get a rump roast.  Remove it from the store wrap the day before, scrape it off with a table knife and wrap it in paper toweling, and put that in a loose, unsealed plastic bag then into the fridge.

Take it out of the fridge about a half out before cooking.  Set the oven at 325 def. F

On all surfaces, grind a little bit of black pepper on it, sprinkle a little bit of marjoram powder and onion powder (don't go overboard), and then sprinkle some kosher salt on it. If it has a fat membrane on one surface, cut through that here and there so it won't try to curl. Don't remove any fat. Then cook it fat side down.

Using a meat thermometer is essential. Remove at 130 deg. F.  Cover with loose foil, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then cut it into thirds - you want to get some juice to ooze out.

In a half hour or so, move the meat to a sealed container into the fridge. Put the pan scrapings and juices into a container - to add to the au jus mix later on.

I use an electric knife to slice it - laying the pieces on a cutting board, removing any fat chunks, and just hacking away at it, trying for thinness.

875702[/snapback]

Thanks again. it's on the menu for Thurday or Friday !

Thanks again. it's on the menu for Thurday or Friday !

875704[/snapback]

Enjoy!

Cooking a beef roast is about the easiest thing out there. Same method for a standing rib roast. Just be sure to let it sit for about 5 minutes per pound, 15 minimum, don't pierce it, and remove the loin from the rack after the setting time, leaving a 1/4 inch or so meat on the bones. Separate 'em, the rib bones - put on a little bit of kosher salt then under the broiler. Heaven on Earth...

BTW, left-over rib roast loin meat is terrible - tastes like cold Crisco shortening because of the high fat content. So eat it all up after cooking.

For the beef, get a rump roast.  Remove it from the store wrap the day before, scrape it off with a table knife and wrap it in a few layers of paper toweling, and put that in a loose, unsealed plastic bag then into the fridge.

Take it out of the fridge about a half hour before cooking.  Set the oven at 325 def. F

Using a meat thermometer is essential. Remove at 130 deg. F.  Cover with loose foil, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then cut it into thirds - you want to get some juice to ooze out.

I use an electric knife to slice it  after it's been refrigerated - laying the pieces on a cutting board, removing any fat chunks, and just hacking away at it, trying for thinness.

875702[/snapback]

What is this fat side down thing? You a "health nut"? No guts no glory! :sick:

You can even add more fat by adding a nice piece of suet to the top of the roast!

What is this fat side down thing?  You a "health nut"?  No guts no glory! :D

You can even add more fat by adding a nice piece of suet to the top of the roast!

875941[/snapback]

You put it fat side down - after you've scored the membrane - so some of it melts and drips into the pan to enhance the drippings used to make gravy or sauce.

Rump roast may or may not have the fat trimmed off as purchased, in any event.

Overly-fat beef is a poor candidate for slicing for future use.

If ever we meet, however, I would be happy to make you a Crisco on burnt toast sandwich.

P.S. Is "no guts no glory" something like needing one of those distracting in-car navigation things so ya can drive more than one mile without getting lost? :doh:

You put it fat side down - after you've scored the membrane - so some of it melts and drips into the pan to enhance the drippings used to make gravy or sauce.

Rump roast may or may not have the fat trimmed off as purchased, in any event.

Overly-fat beef is a poor candidate for slicing for future use.

If ever we meet, however, I would be happy to make you a Crisco on burnt toast sandwich.

P.S. Is "no guts no glory" something like needing one of those distracting in-car navigation things so ya can drive more than one mile without getting lost?   :P

877643[/snapback]

Happy Holidays my Ohio Valley friend!

I admit... It is a crutch... But a way cool crutch!... I am a fool for neat-o gadgets (especially ones that don't need a subscription)... :thumbsup:

A real marriage saver too!

The wife is locationally challenged. She couldn't find her way out of this :thumbsup:... Beats getting calls all the time when she is lost... The soft, calming voice of "Betty" (the name we named the synth voice) can guide her back home and into the loving arms of her husband :unsure: at the touch of a button... Beats screaming and yelling, fussing and fighting... :D

Besides, the one in the new Chrysler (OEM: built in) is located in front of the driver... Situated and intergrated with the speedometer... So it isn't that distracting, just like looking at your speedometer! :P:P

Most functions are disabled when the car is in gear... Not so on the Jeep though... :thumbsup:

True, something I can totally live without... My first career was a hydrographic surveyor... So I have a weakness for this kinda stuff (charts/maps)...

Oh... It really bothers the piss out of my wife when I have it guide me somewhere only to go a different route... "Betty" will say: "Off Route"... I reply: "No kidding Betty."... I am waiting for the day "Betty" gets PO'd and ditches the calm voice for a few choosen words... Then over-rides the car!... Kinda a 2001: Space Odyssey thing I got going I guess?...

:D