Maybe Meathead did us a favor

Kelly the Dog

Impossible to know for sure but it is looking more and more to me, that Jauron and Marv and Fairchild and Shonert really knew what they were doing with JP. No matter what we impatient fans want to see and think, myself included, by making him stay in the pocket and not do what his natural instincts would make him do, it has made him a far superior player. Slowly. And if that is the case, which I now believe it is, I am not sure what good it would have done to keep him in last year doing what Meathead was asking him to do. It could have got him killed, and the experience in getting killed may not have been all that worthwhile in the experience department.

Surely, this is all conjecture. And there is no way of knowing. But maybe just playing, the way the Bills were playing, wouldn't have helped him that much. This way has surely helped him. He gets better every game. And it's surely not just experience. It's what he's comfortable doing. I am really becoming a believer in Dick.

I'm a firm believer that we are a sum of our experiences. If JP isn't benched last year and the offseason doesn't unfold as it did; I'd argue he'd be a completely different QB and person right now. Perhaps he'd be better, but perhaps he'd have more bad habits to break. So, I'd have to agree, maybe Mularkey did us all a favor by benching him and making him take a hard look at himself. Fortunately, though, Mularky quit and we had coaches come in and actually coach him this year. That, I think is perhaps the best thing to have happened to JP thus far in his career.

You may be on to something Kelly, but I'd be more inclined to believe that wasn't his intention...rather it was an effect of JP being benched. My thinking is that MM just wanted to win a few games to save his job, thus starting Holcomb.

Mularkey did us more of a favor by quitting and joining the Dolphins.