Pennington is GOOD

CosmicBills

I spent today's game focusing on Pennington. The kid can play. Period.

He is still raw and his footwork was sloppy at times (though he has GREAT feet in terms of speed for a RT), but his strength and competitiveness was on display today. He's got a lot of tools.

I'm not proclaiming him a pro-bowler by any means, but after watching him closely today I feel confident that the Bills have finally found their bookends on the OL.

Like I've said with the other rookies, a year under their belts and in the S&C program...

869598[/snapback]

Agreed. But what was impressive to me was how polished he looked at times for a rookie lineman against arguably one of the better front 7s in the league.

I would be shocked if they end up drafting an OT high in the next draft. Maybe an OG or C but the Tackles are set for now.

A very nice surprise. I think Preston should head back to the bench and be replaced by a big aquisition, but Pennington has the tools and it is nice to see the on field performance improve. It would take a very good tackle to be considered an upgrade this offseason, and I think that should be a low priority for us.

If McCargo and Youboty can contribute next year this becomes one of the most impressive draft classes I have ever seen.

Agreed. But what was impressive to me was how polished he looked at times for a rookie lineman against arguably one of the better front 7s in the league.

I would be shocked if they end up drafting an OT high in the next draft. Maybe an OG or C but the Tackles are set for now.

869608[/snapback]

I think you can chalk up the Crowder sack to him, but other than that he's been impressive. Jason Taylor lined up several times against him and he couldn't get to Losman. Kudos to him and McNally.

I think you can chalk up the Crowder sack to him, but other than that he's been impressive. Jason Taylor lined up several times against him and he couldn't get to Losman. Kudos to him and McNally.

869617[/snapback]

That sack was interesting. I don't think it was on him though -- it was a protection call (I'm guessing, but fairly certain) on the line when the blitz was shown. When a call like that is made, it's basically telling the G & T who is getting the backer and who they are leaving for the RB to pick up.

It looked to me that the RB (not Willis, I think it was ATrain?) and Pennington went for the same guy, leaving Crowder untouched.

Either Pennington got the wrong call, or the RB did. Only the coaches will know that one when they watch film. But to me, if I'm on the line in that play, I kick out the end like Pennington did because it makes for an easier block for the RB. That's why I think it was the RB who missed the call.

But I'm guessing.

That sack was interesting. I don't think it was on him though -- it was a protection call (I'm guessing, but fairly certain) on the line when the blitz was shown. When a call like that is made, it's basically telling the G & T who is getting the backer and who they are leaving for the RB to pick up.

It looked to me that the RB (not Willis, I think it was ATrain?) and Pennington went for the same guy, leaving Crowder untouched.

Either Pennington got the wrong call, or the RB did. Only the coaches will know that one when they watch film. But to me, if I'm on the line in that play, I kick out the end like Pennington did because it makes for an easier block for the RB. That's why I think it was the RB who missed the call.

But I'm guessing.

869622[/snapback]

Actually on that play A-Trian went out into the flat....Dolphins sent to many and we didnt have enough blockers

I woudnt blame Pennington on it though....he blocked his assignment the DE.... there was not enough protection to pickup the blitzing LB

100 yards rushing total, 2.7 yards per carry, and 3 sacks, but 3 TDs. It got the job done against the #2 defense in the league, and that's about what I would have hoped for.

It has to get better if we want to be a really good team, but with two raw guys on the right side, a new but potentially great LT, and only one year in this system (less than that for this current group of linemen) it's really not bad at all.