OSU Kicker Nugent

UConn James

This is the first time I've caught an OSU game this year, but watching this kicker Mike(?) Nugent is everything Rian Lindell is not. Consistent, good stepping technique, strong leg, accurate. Had a 55-yarder before the half that he curved and sailed through the uprights, probably would have been good from mid-60s. Announcers said he hit a 68-yarder in a training camp. OSU is VERY lucky to have this kid.

Anyone think he'll still be around in the 2nd round (and from the looks of things, early second round)? Not that TD would use a draft pick on a kicker. But Ker-ist, imagine not having to pray to the football gods when attempting a FG from over 38.

I don't know about drafting a kicker in the 2nd round.  Nugent will obviously be the 1st kicker drafted but Nichols from Ole Miss isn't far behind.  The only mock drafts I've seen out have been for the 1st round only.  But he should be high on the Bills draft board.

63405[/snapback]

Well, look at the losers the Bills usually draft in the second and third rounds. Might as well take the kicker! Of course next year they will in the top 3 in the draft, so the first pick will be about #34, so that might be a round too early.

Well, look at the losers the Bills usually draft in the second and third rounds.  Might as well take the kicker!  Of course next year they will in the top 3 in the draft, so the first pick will be about #34, so that might be a round too early.

64977[/snapback]

I wish we would have never traded our 1st round pick with Dallas. To think we could have had Kyle Orton is almost depressing. I'm almost with you as far as pulling the trigger for Nugent in the 2nd. By the 2nd round most of the impact players are gone. If the decision is between a sure thing like Nugent and an O-lineman that we *think* is going to be great. Draft the kicker who is a sure thing and has plenty of experience kicking in an outdoor stadium.

I wish we would have never traded our 1st round pick with Dallas.  To think we could have had Kyle Orton is almost depressing.  I'm almost with you as far as pulling the trigger for Nugent in the 2nd.  By the 2nd round most of the impact players are gone.  If the decision is between a sure thing like Nugent and an O-lineman that we *think* is going to be great.  Draft the kicker who is a sure thing and has plenty of experience kicking in an outdoor stadium.

65582[/snapback]

Why? There's no guarantee that a first rounder is going to play anywhere near their cap number.

Look at it this way: You have a choice between the 4th pick in the draft and Takeo Spikes. Which do you pick? The known commodity or the "ain't worth a damn yet" prospect?

I understand that some first rounders work out. However, that number is somewhere around 33%. When you look at what a top 10 pick costs against the cap, it's pretty much a no brainer to trade down for multiple picks and use the savings on veteran talent.

Why?  There's no guarantee that a first rounder is going to play anywhere near their cap number.

Look at it this way:  You have a choice between the 4th pick in the draft and Takeo Spikes.  Which do you pick?  The known commodity or the "ain't worth a damn yet" prospect?

I understand that some first rounders work out.  However, that number is somewhere around 33%.  When you look at what a top 10 pick costs against the cap, it's pretty much a no brainer to trade down for multiple picks and use the savings on veteran talent.

67299[/snapback]

Okay, black is white. Up is down. I find myself in agreement with AD about something.

Why would anyone want a Top 10 pick? It's a great way to %$&* your salary cap, whether the player is any good or not, which many times the player's production isn't near what you expected. Take MW, for example. We have a large tub of lard playing matador to DL league-wide, and for this, we paid out a huge contract.

Get out of the top 10 and the salaries go down exponentially. That's the reason why so many teams want to trade down every year, and why so few do. It takes a really ballsy GM or a Sure Thing to do so. If Dallas gets that high a draft pick next year, I'm not going to lambaste the move. We paid a lot less of a contract for a player who's got just as good a chance to be an effective starter.

Back on topic, using a 2nd rounder on Nugent is as good a pick as anybody. And, like Detox says, you get a kicker who's used to the snow and cold weather, and who can kick 68-yarders to boot. That's something I could get used to after watching Lindell make exuses every time he has a critical miss. (And with league scoring, EVERY miss or kick-not-taken is critical.)

My point is if I had a 1st round pick to choose between Kyle Orton, JP Losman or even a Mike Williams, I wouldn't choose Losman. You're correct with there being a lot of 1st round busts. I think some are because of the team and the system the player gets drafted into. For example, Philip Rivers is a waste with San Diego. He excels at running the no-huddle west coast offense. If he played for a team like St. Louis, his chances of succeeding greatly increase.

Nugent has a very strong and accurate leg. The guy doesn't choke when the pressure is on and has won Ohio State a lot of games. We just signed Schobel to a long term contract so I think we will be drafting a DE. I think we will resign Clements and for too much money. Maybe we will try to draft an OL in the 2nd round.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.