Drew Brees is a Machine

bisonbrigade

The Chargers were brilliant for taking LT and Brees over Mike Vick. They weren't so smart in drafting Rivers and letting Brees go.

Brees wasn't looking so hot before they drafted Rivers. And had Brees not gotten injured last year at the end, he'd still be their QB and Rivers would have been traded for a 1st, at least a 2nd round pick. Bad luck there, really.

The Chargers were brilliant for taking LT and Brees over Mike Vick. They weren't so smart in drafting Rivers and letting Brees go.

862586[/snapback]

Yes to the first point. Yeah Brees is playing great but Phillip Rivers is by no means playing like a scrub. He's more then holding his own. It was also made easier that Brees tore up his shoulder last year and the chargers probably felt that with the injury they couldn't justify signing him long term.

Brees wasn't looking so hot before they drafted Rivers.  And had Brees not gotten injured last year at the end, he'd still be their QB and Rivers would have been traded for a 1st, at least a 2nd round pick.  Bad luck there, really.

862591[/snapback]

That bad luck, of course, was mitigated, when they leveraged the Rivers trade into extra picks, getting Shawn Merriman and Nate Kaeding, among others.

But I agree it was bad timing for the Chargers. On the other hand, they could have given Brees more time and been a little bit more patient with him.

I wonder if JP will have a turning point like Brees did, and I wonder if we'll be more patient than the Chargers were. We definitely were patient, passing on Leinart and Cutler in last year's draft.