Drew is done

zow2

Houston 2002 (down 24-17, two 4th-quarter TD passes, final score 31-24)

Cincinnati 2003 (drove to tying FG at the end of regulation, 57-yd drive to winning TD in OT, final score 22-16)

Hey, I'm not going to try to convince anyone that Drew is still at the top of his game. I don't think anyone here believes that. The statement about comebacks, though, was factually incorrect.

62730[/snapback]

I think its right as far as recent past goes.It seems he simply can not react to pressure with correct split decisions anymore. So when in a situation (like when behind late or by a big amount) that requires him to read and react to blitzes he is incapable to do so. So I guess its fair to assume that it would be very difficult, if not impossible for him to orchestrate a 4th quarter rally against a competent defence.

QB's need to make plays folks. Bledsoe makes the play (most of the time) when there's no pressure or he has a great pocket. When the pressure is on though, he caves and makes nothing out of nothing. When you have an offense that is run oriented like the BIlls, you have to be especially good at 3rd-down conversions. Once we get to 3rd-down, our opponent brings the house and it's all over. I expect Drew to lead us to at least a couple wins this year but over the course of 16 games, he's really a 5-11 type of QB nowadays.

Bledsoe is not a winner anymore. I don't know how many times that has to be hammered into the heads of Bills Nation? It's over for him.

How dare you? This is a "CRUSADE". You cannot post such disparaging comments regarding "Bledsoe". I'll have you know that right now you are making a certain "Nervous Guy", well, "nervous". <_<

Is Bledsoe done? That's the multi-million dollar question. The Bills didn't think so and brought him back...

I don't know. He seems to be glacial slow all too often. Not just his feet, but his decision making. His mechanics are really terrible much of the time. (Poor footwork, holds the ball *way* too low, etc.) For that matter, what the fug is Ralph paying Sam Wyche for?

On the other hand, the offensive line is just plain garbage. Unblocked people coming in through the middle of the line just should not be happening when everybody knows the QB is a "pure pocket QB" and has zero mobility. Fault the line's talent and manhood, sure. It's a collection of overpaid, over rated guys that are out of shape, stiff, weak, and demonstrably worse athletes than the people they face off against. Fault the coaching staff and their collective intelligence, sure. They don't seem to be capable of adjusting the blocking schemes to what the defense is doing. (I thought we got rid of the nimrod high school assistant wannabes coaching the OL this year?) Fault the arrogant GM/Pres., sure. But that means there is enough blame to go around to everybody that Drew Bledsoe is not and should not be the only one taking the heat for the continuing saga of a lousy offense.

Watching Bledsoe, you have to say his best days are in the rear view mirror. I don't see him taking this team to the playoffs any time soon. On the other hand, I can't really blame everything on him either. It may be that he really does have enough wiggle to move around a pocket and make plays. But, damn, with the Bills there just is no pocket to wiggle around in. The OL is so poor it looks like the Bills are playing 18, 19, 20 guys on the defensive side of the ball. Who's covering the receivers and who's blocked if Bledsoe is buried under an avalanche of defenders as soon as the snap hits his hands? :D

Bledsoe has led his team to victory after trailing in the fourth quarter 18 times in the past 10 seasons -- tied with Denver's Jake Plummer for the most such wins.

The top five "comeback QBs" since 1995 (starters whose teams trailed at any point in fourth quarter):

Quarterback - Teams (1995-present) - Comeback Wins

Drew Bledsoe - New England, Buffalo - 18

Jake Plummer - Arizona, Denver - 18

Peyton Manning - Indianapolis - 17

Vinny Testaverde - Cleveland, Baltimore, NY Jets, Dallas - 17

Kerry Collins - Carolina, New Orleans, NY Giants, Oakland - 15

NFL.com - Top QBs rise when going gets tough

Lori, you just beat me to it. Great post.

62716[/snapback]

Looking at the stats for the last 3 years would tell a much different story. Drew would be in the bottom of every category. The past is the past, we need to live in the here and now.

I'll place the blame on Bledsoe for leading an offense that has a 10 point output quota per week.  Now, I'm going to be gracious and grant the Bills 13 points tomorrow, but it will still be a loss.  Bledsoe is part and parcel of a team that has no idea how to win a game.  He isn't solely to blame, but he can't be blameless for directing an offense that simply cannot reach 20 points in a game.  That trend will continue tomorrow.

:(  :D

62852[/snapback]

Exactly - you know, these pro-Drew people are starting to sound dangerously like the Frutie Flakes of a few years ago.....blame the defense for allowing the go-ahead score when the offense scores one TD. Or blame everyone else on the offense. I mean, Henry didn't go the wrong way on EVERY play last week, did he? So what's the excuse for scoring only 10 points the ENTIRE GAME? It's great that he led a rally against an expansion team 2 years ago, but really, who cares.

And really, how can you take any stat seriously that involves Jake Plummer at the top of the list? The success of that "comeback" stat is generally attributed to one of two things: Either you played like crap for the first 3 Qtr's, or you play on a team that has a bad defense. In Manning's case, it's bad defense. In Plummer's case, it's a little of both, but mostly playing like crap for 3 Qtr's. In Drew's case, well....he's had a pretty good defense his entire career with the exceptions of 2002 and his rookie year.

I wasn't aware Bledsoe was covering Daniel Graham on the Pats' go-ahead TD. (Although he probably would've gotten beat in coverage...)

Hmmm. Fourth-quarter come-from-ahead losses.

2002 - Jets, 31-37 (OT). 24-20 after 3. Jets score twice to go up 31-24. Bledsoe TD to Moulds with 0:26 left sends game to OT; Morton KR wins it for Jets.

Raiders, 31-49. 31-28 after 3. 69-yd Gannon-to-Garner TD put the Raiders ahead; they tacked on two more TDs after that (one on an 81-yd INT return).

Chiefs, 16-17. 16-10 after 3. 78-yard TD drive put Chiefs up 17-16 with 5:23 left; Bledsoe INT; Chiefs ran out clock.

2003 - Colts, 14-17: Colts scored to go ahead with 1:38 left. Bledsoe INT at 0:40.

Titans, 26-28: up 17-14 after 3, before two Titans TDs sandwiched around a Lindell FG makes it 28-20. Bledsoe TD to Campbell with 0:24 left; Bobby Shaw drops tying 2-pt conversion trying to show the ball to the ref.

2004 - Jacksonville, 10-13: leading 10-6 when the offense left the field for the last time.

Just depends on how many of those you want to blame on Bledsoe, or on the defense's inability to hold a lead, or on the refs. (Several questionable calls in those games, according to the media-guide writeups.)

I could find no instance in which a Bledsoe 4th-quarter turnover led to a game-winning drive (or score) for the other team.

62801[/snapback]

Gee it all smells nice if your a Bledsoe fan but the main stat your leaving out is that this offence has a hard time scoring more than a TD this season. Its unfortunate, whether Drew or you like it or not, he is the point man for the offence. He is the guy that touches the ball every play and is responsible for every pass. He is the captain of this squad and gets paid big bucks to produce. He just is not producing for the Pro Bowl money he is getting. And before anyone goes to the internet and starts showing their oh so impressive Google skills by digging up comparable qb's s salaries please spare me. This guy has been brough in here as a leader and has crumbled in face of adversity. Time for him to be phased out of the offence.

Gee it all smells nice if your a Bledsoe fan but the main stat your leaving out is that this offence has a hard time scoring more than a TD this season. Its unfortunate, whether Drew or you like it or not, he is the point man for the offence. He is the guy that touches the ball every play and is responsible for every pass. He is the captain of this squad and gets paid big bucks to produce. He just is not producing for the Pro Bowl money he is getting. And before anyone goes to the internet and starts showing their oh so impressive Google skills by  digging up comparable qb's s salaries please spare me. This guy has been brough in here as a leader and has crumbled in face of adversity. Time for him to be phased out of the offence.

63178[/snapback]

I will repeat my point once more, since some of you seemed to miss it the first time:

Hey, I'm not going to try to convince anyone that Drew is still at the top of his game. I don't think anyone here believes that. The statement about comebacks, though, was factually incorrect.

Am I a "Bledsoe fan"? Yup, because he plays for the Bills. Same with anyone else on the roster. That doesn't mean I don't think he's part of the problem, and you'll note I didn't take issue with zow's main point.... indeed, although I wouldn't rush him back and risk complications with the injury, I'll most likely be joining you on the play-Losman-now bandwagon when he gets back to full strength.

But if somebody uses "facts" to back up their statement without checking to see if those facts are actually true, I'm going to call them on it. That's how I've been playin' it since I've been here; don't expect it to change any time soon.

Sorry but when the offense and TEAM as a whole has committed 20X the mistakes that Bledsoe has, it's obviously NOT the fault of one person. I was watching some of the Pats-Dols game and the Dols blitzed and guess what? The Pats WR (Givens) cut-off his route, got open, and get this, CAUGHT the ball. Novel concept, eh?

As for Losman, I'd like to see him, but if Bledsoe is getting hammered behind this O-line, Losman would get murdered sooner or later. You see even when he scrambles, he'll be taking hits. And if HIS receivers don't cut-off patterns for him, get open, and yes, CATCH the ball, it doesn't mean squat.

I'm not letting this post die. The team has taken on the personality of Drew. Slow, methodical, boring, passive, plodding, etc...

It's not all Drew's fault vs. the Jets today. I know that. But you can't change 10 guys, it's easier to change it up with one guy. SOmething needs to happen at the QB position and Soon. Our Fans, our Defense deserve better.

I'm not letting this post die.  The team has taken on the personality of Drew. Slow, methodical, boring, passive, plodding, etc...

It's not all Drew's fault vs. the Jets today. I know that.  But you can't change 10 guys, it's easier to change it up with one guy.  SOmething needs to happen at the QB position and Soon.  Our Fans, our Defense deserve better.

63763[/snapback]

But I own his jersey ! That's all that matters !

Drews' legacy is bigger than the team. :w00t:

As a continuation from this post earlier in the week.....Um...I guess you can throw in another game in which Drew failed to lead a 4th qtr comeback win. Yes, I know. This time the D blew it. But still, 51 seconds left, ball on the 35 and he takes yet another sack to kill 23 seconds? oy vey. Pennington would have gotten the Jets a FG attempt if the situation was reversed.