Witherspoon Must Go!

Steven in MD

Reggie just does not have the expertise to win the big game. He was leading the #2 team in the nation by 10 points, and proceeds to lose...typical UB mentality. Before you start saying how we played competitively against the #2 team in the nation, remember this is a team that got blown out by Tulane and Evansville.

He keeps grasping defeat from the jaws of victory!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was extremely upset with the way he managed the final minute of the ball game. Instead of going for a two and playing defense for 60 seconds he decides to go for the three point shot with Idbihi. Final 16 seconds, Idbihi is still the person trying to shoot the 3 ball.

861222[/snapback]

BINGO....why is your CENTER shooting the 3 pointers? I just do not get this strategy...he is coaching like he is still at ECC.

He's the head coach that does not do any real coaching, his assistants do the coaching and the planning. But hes an important part of UB's program believe it or not. Hes important for recruiting, and from the looks of it, UB might be competitive again after they recruit some depth.

861234[/snapback]

When has UB been competitive? Making it to the NIT? Since I left UB in 1987, they have never been competitive. Witherspoon is an expert in recruiting kids from outside the US with little to no real basketball skills. He is recruiting kids with some size and athletic skills. We need him to recruit some players. When he has had some talent, he failed to take them to the NCAA tournament. Understand, success in the NCAA tournament is the great recruiter. I spoke with the coach from George Mason after their run last year, he had 500 kids contacting them about playing at Mason. I doubt UB got that from a NIT bid.

When has UB been competitive?  Making it to the NIT?  Since I left UB in 1987, they have never been competitive.  Witherspoon is an expert in recruiting kids from outside the US with little to no real basketball skills.  He is recruiting kids with some size and athletic skills.  We need him to recruit some players.  When he has had some talent, he failed to take them to the NCAA tournament.  Understand, success in the NCAA tournament is the great recruiter.  I spoke with the coach from George Mason after their run last year, he had 500 kids contacting them about playing at Mason.  I doubt UB got that from a NIT bid.

861264[/snapback]

How quickly you forget March 2005? I still think the Bulls got a bad draw and should of gone to the Tourney. In terms of not being competitive Witherspoon has made UB a respectable program from one of the, if not the. worst division 1A NCAA teams in the nation.

How quickly you forget March 2005? I still think the Bulls got a bad draw and should of gone to the Tourney. In terms of not being competitive Witherspoon has made UB a respectable program from one of the, if not the. worst division 1A NCAA teams in the nation.

861272[/snapback]

I think I might see it differently. I remember that Tim Cohane had this program going in the right direction in the Mid-Continent Conference before being removed for some recruiting violations. Bottom line, he has beaten inferior programs over the years, but has never been able to get UB to win the MAC. The MAC gets a single NCAA bid, and you have to win the conference tournament to get in. He lost to Ohio and a 2nd round departure from the NIT followed.

I was hoping that UB would come to its senses and hire a real coach. I have spoken with some folks in the althetic department and Warde Manual is high on him and it looks like we are stuck with him for a while (probably another 5 years of mediocrity). I expect by then, Turner Gill will have the football program turned around and we will see some money to hire a real coach for basketball.

I think I might see it differently.  I remember that Tim Cohane had this program going in the right direction in the Mid-Continent Conference before being removed for some recruiting violations.  Bottom line, he has beaten inferior programs over the years, but has never been able to get UB to win the MAC.  The MAC gets a single NCAA bid, and you have to win the conference tournament to get in.  He lost to Ohio and a 2nd round departure from the NIT followed.

I was hoping that UB would come to its senses and hire a real coach.  I have spoken with some folks in the althetic department and Warde Manual is high on him and it looks like we are stuck with him for a while (probably another 5 years of mediocrity).  I expect by then, Turner Gill will have the football program turned around and we will see some money to hire a real coach for basketball.

861275[/snapback]

I'm sorry, you are a f@$king moron if you actually believe what you are saying. Hell, I thought this topic was sarcasm it was so ludicrously stupid. UB loses by 3 points to the 2nd best team in the country, and you're calling for his job? Insanity.

Witherspoon IS the reason UB Basketball is where it is today, a program on the rise. His recruiting ability is what lured players like Turner Battle and Mark Bortz to Buffalo and they put the team on the map. Going "in the right direction in the Mid-Continent Conference" is hardly comparable to be a major player in the MAC Conference finals for the last four years. Hell, Buffalo actually gets national media attention now and nearly got an AT LARGE NCAA bid two years ago.

The basketball program was dormant before Witherspoon. Buffalo has won many big games in the last five years. Get a clue.

I thought this topic was sarcasm...

I did too. UB deserves kudos for even being in the game. I think everyone with a little basketball knowledge knew it was only a matter of time before Pitt pulled it out. There is a reason Pitt is #2 in the country and UB is closer to the 102nd.

I did too.  UB deserves kudos for even being in the game.  I think everyone with a little basketball knowledge knew it was only a matter of time before Pitt pulled it out.  There is a reason Pitt is #2 in the country and UB is closer to the 102nd.

861383[/snapback]

There is no sarcasm in being up by 10 points at home and losing. Why did you EXPECT UB to lose? I expected them to win. I think with a better coach they would have won.

I just love how the best people can do is call others morons because they expect better coaching. Maybe you can accept a 6-4 record as up and coming. Maybe you can live with ALMOST getting an at large bid. Just remember this....and this is what hurts the most....Albany which joined Div I after UB made it to the Big Dance while we got to dance with the ugly girls.

Albany which joined Div I after UB made it to the Big Dance while we got to dance with the ugly girls.

861386[/snapback]

maybe b/c ALbany is in a terrible division, while UB plays in a very tough under-rated one...never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...what was Reggie supposed to do with a VERY tired team vs a charachter Pitt team that stepped up their D 5-fold down the stretch?

There is no sarcasm in being up by 10 points at home and losing.  Why did you EXPECT UB to lose?  I expected them to win.  I think with a better coach they would have won. 

861386[/snapback]

This leads me to believe you didn't actually watch the game. UB played 7 players the entire game (Yassin, Greg Gamble, Eric Moore, Andy Robinson, Calvin Betts, Parnell Smith, and Vadim Fedetov). UB was simply out of gas with 5:00 left to go, and it had nothing to do with strategy or coaching. A couple of years ago, when we had Calvin Cage, Mark Bortz, Jason Bird, and Mario Jordan coming off the bench, we might have won. But our bench is simply too unproven at this point in the season to go up against Pitt, which is known for the their depth.

maybe b/c ALbany is in a terrible division, while UB plays in a very tough under-rated one...never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...what was Reggie supposed to do with a VERY tired team vs a charachter Pitt team that stepped up their D 5-fold down the stretch?

861408[/snapback]

Exactly. The MAC actually produces teams that are capable of making noise in the Big Dance. In 2001, Kent State made it to the Great Eight and lost for the second time all season. The first time they had lost that season was to Reggie's UB squad.

I think I might see it differently.  I remember that Tim Cohane had this program going in the right direction in the Mid-Continent Conference before being removed for some recruiting violations.  Bottom line, he has beaten inferior programs over the years, but has never been able to get UB to win the MAC.  The MAC gets a single NCAA bid, and you have to win the conference tournament to get in.  He lost to Ohio and a 2nd round departure from the NIT followed.

I was hoping that UB would come to its senses and hire a real coach.  I have spoken with some folks in the althetic department and Warde Manual is high on him and it looks like we are stuck with him for a while (probably another 5 years of mediocrity).  I expect by then, Turner Gill will have the football program turned around and we will see some money to hire a real coach for basketball.

861275[/snapback]

Are you for real?? Cohane had this team in the right direction?? Yeah, if only it weren't for that pesky recruiting violation. If Cohane is such a great coach who was brought down by one violation, can you tell me where he is today? Selling insurance is my guess.

Funny, approximately ZERO of Cohane's recruits were on that 04-05 team. Witherspoon has built this program up from absolutely nothing. They gave one of the best teams in the country a major scare last night and that's not good enough for you. They play in the freaking MAC, what do you want?

You know what, I don't mind that you want Witherspoon gone. But you at least have to come up with three other replacements. And they have to be realistic. Go.

Are you for real??  Cohane had this team in the right direction??  Yeah, if only it weren't for that pesky recruiting violation.  If Cohane is such a great coach who was brought down by one violation, can you tell me where he is today?  Selling insurance is my guess. 

Funny, approximately ZERO of Cohane's recruits were on that 04-05 team.  Witherspoon has built this program up from absolutely nothing.  They gave one of the best teams in the country a major scare last night and that's not good enough for you.  They play in the freaking MAC, what do you want? 

861428[/snapback]

:(

Are you for real??  Cohane had this team in the right direction??  Yeah, if only it weren't for that pesky recruiting violation.  If Cohane is such a great coach who was brought down by one violation, can you tell me where he is today?  Selling insurance is my guess. 

Funny, approximately ZERO of Cohane's recruits were on that 04-05 team.  Witherspoon has built this program up from absolutely nothing.  They gave one of the best teams in the country a major scare last night and that's not good enough for you.  They play in the freaking MAC, what do you want? 

You know what, I don't mind that you want Witherspoon gone.  But you at least have to come up with three other replacements.  And they have to be realistic.  Go.

861428[/snapback]

Cohane

You know what, I don't mind that you want Witherspoon gone.  But you at least have to come up with three other replacements.  And they have to be realistic.  Go.

861428[/snapback]

Let's see how about making a play for the following coaches:

1. Albany HC

2. Stony Brook HC

3. Binghampton HC

All 3 of those schools have a better chance of making it to the big dance. You make it sound like the MAC is the ACC, SEC or Big Ten. The MAC is a mid-major that puts a SINGLE team in the tournament every year.

1. Albany HC

2. Stony Brook HC

3. Binghampton HC

All 3 of those schools have a better chance of making it to the big dance.  You make it sound like the MAC is the ACC, SEC or Big Ten.  The MAC is a mid-major that puts a SINGLE team in the tournament every year.

861506[/snapback]

is Binghampton the new name for Binghamton? shoot me a PM when you start making posts that make sense or maybe that one other person in the world agrees with...

1. Albany HC

2. Stony Brook HC

3. Binghampton HC

All 3 of those schools have a better chance of making it to the big dance.  You make it sound like the MAC is the ACC, SEC or Big Ten.  The MAC is a mid-major that puts a SINGLE team in the tournament every year.

861506[/snapback]

Maybe UB should join one of those tinkertoy conferences. Your posts show me you have no idea what you're talking about. Reggie Witherspoon is on the short list of almost every major basketball program looking at a coaching change right now. Luckily, Reg is a Buffalo guy and committed to making UB into a basketball power. UB is damn fortunate to have a coach like him.

PTR