Fahrenheit 9/11 question...

This is not to incite any kind of insane remarks even though I know Michael Moore is an object of both irrational love and disdain.

But I find it very interesting that a lot of people criticize Fahrenheit 9/11 or make remarks about it -- some valid -- and later reveal they have not seen the film. When asked if that invalidates their statement, most of these critics, politicians, etc. respond that they don't need to see it, they know what it's about.

As a media grad student I find it most interesting, that these figures are not really called on this, and that half of the public finds it to be an acceptable resolution. Is this only because Moore has elicited so much hatred by calling Bush a deserter, the incident at the Oscars, etc? Because there was so much press that explained moments in the film in detail?

Again, please no "Michael Moore is an idiot/fat slob/jerk/genius" posts. Everyone already knows/has made up their mind about those things. I am really more interested in the authority of criticism of this film. Please share your educated opinions on this one...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Michael Moore.

My wife hates Michael Moore.

We're also staunch Republicans, so you do the math.

That said, one night she was commenting about him and his piece of crap movie, and fortunately it was just the two of us. So I asked her why she felt that way about a movie she never saw. We both realized that it would truly be unfair to be critical of a movie we've never seen.

So we stopped being critical of the movie.

We use the extra time telling people why we hate Michael Moore.

This is not to incite any kind of insane remarks even though I know Michael Moore is an object of both irrational love and disdain.

But I find it very interesting that a lot of people criticize Fahrenheit 9/11 or make remarks about it -- some valid -- and later reveal they have not seen the film.  When asked if that invalidates their statement, most of these critics, politicians, etc. respond that they don't need to see it, they know what it's about.

As a media grad student I find it most interesting, that these figures are not really called on this, and that half of the public finds it to be an acceptable resolution.  Is this only because Moore has elicited so much hatred by calling Bush a deserter, the incident at the Oscars, etc?  Because there was so much press that explained moments in the film in detail?

Again, please no "Michael Moore is an idiot/fat slob/jerk/genius" posts.  Everyone already knows/has made up their mind about those things.  I am really more interested in the authority of criticism of this film.  Please share your educated opinions on this one...

62253[/snapback]

I've seen Michael Moore's writings on what he thinks happened on 9/11. I also know he's a self-admitted left-wing shill. I also know that he has a history of making movies that are dishonest.

That is enough reason for me to believe F911 is a piece of crap.

I've read two of his books and seen two of his films. After the first book (seen before the films) I realized that if I took him literally I would become so despondent that suicide would be the only alternative.

Therefore I learned to think of his views as just that, his views. Some I agree with, many I don't, or at least I am not as zealous as he is.

I thought Bowling from Columbine had some good points in it and it was with that perspective I saw F911. Much of that movie was not news to me, so I paid no attention to the rhetoric and, as some would say, fantasy parts.

What impacted me was the interviews with the soldiers and footage of the war. You can't fake that and indeed there was little, if any, Moore voiceover. It wasn't needed.

Anyway I see two reasons why people would condemn the film without seeing it. One is purely that they are close-minded and probably judgemental about many things. Another is that it threatens their security; they're afraid in other words.

Interestingly enough, neither is a reason anyone would admit to. It's easier to say that the film maker is a fat #$@$ #@$@$ @#$@#$@ who's full of RKFast.

But I find it very interesting that a lot of people criticize Fahrenheit 9/11 or make remarks about it -- some valid -- and later reveal they have not seen the film.  When asked if that invalidates their statement, most of these critics, politicians, etc. respond that they don't need to see it, they know what it's about.

As a media grad student I find it most interesting, that these figures are not really called on this, and that half of the public finds it to be an acceptable resolution.  Is this only because Moore has elicited so much hatred by calling Bush a deserter, the incident at the Oscars, etc?  Because there was so much press that explained moments in the film in detail?

Again, please no "Michael Moore is an idiot/fat slob/jerk/genius" posts.  Everyone already knows/has made up their mind about those things.  I am really more interested in the authority of criticism of this film.  Please share your educated opinions on this one...

62253[/snapback]

Same thing goes for the book by the Swift Boat Veteran guy.

Are RCow and BF having a battle of wits on PPV or something?  I think I have some pocket lint for the fee...

62337[/snapback]

Survivor 15. (announcer voice) LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, LIVE FROM PO-DUNK IOWA......................I can't, it's too easy ;)

BTW, you forgot one contestant. :D

I've seen Michael Moore's writings on what he thinks happened on 9/11.  I also know he's a self-admitted left-wing shill.  I also know that he has a history of making movies that are dishonest. 

That is enough reason for me to believe F911 is a piece of crap.

62264[/snapback]

Understood. I think that is OK for any of us not in the public eye. But for public officials I think it sets the bar low for discussion or criticism of any media or topic, for that matter. Don't you agree that any of these criticisms would be strengthened by seeing the film?

MM is out to make money...his claim to fame is his political views..so if he lies, why does he care..he needs to sell his movie to make his millions...I'll give him this..He's carved a nice niche for himself and done quite well..But I wonder how he sleeps at night myself. ...But I doubt he has trouble.

MM is out to make money...his claim to fame is his political views..so if he lies, why does he care..he needs to sell his movie to make his millions...I'll give him this..He's carved a nice niche for himself and done quite well..But I wonder how he sleeps at night myself. ...But I doubt he has trouble.

62500[/snapback]

I gotta believe he does have trouble sleeping. A dude that size has to have some major snoring issues. It probably wakes him up all the time.