Shi-poopy...the girl who's hard to get

The Poojer

It's from the Music Man. My highschool did the production one year...I remember watching and thinking it was the worst 3 hours of my life. I can still picture this one goofy kid that was a few years older than me singing the lead in Shipoopi and dancing like an idiot.

It's from the Music Man.  My highschool did the production one year...I remember watching and thinking it was the worst 3 hours of my life.  I can still picture this one goofy kid that was a few years older than me singing the lead in Shipoopi and dancing like an idiot.

856426[/snapback]

"Shipoopi" was the type of number that was typically stuck into big musicals for the sake of having a big, full-cast song and dance number, regardless of whether it meant anything to the plot. You can find them in many of the older musicals (like Carousel's "This Was A Real Nice Clambake" or Brigadoon's "I'll Go Home With Mary Jean"). I have no idea why I know this.

Songs like that are the reason people joke these days with the whole "I think I feel a song coming on." In fact, what made it so funny in the "Family Guy" skit is that that is exactly what they were going for by having him break into song, and it was pretty damn funny.

"Shipoopi" was the type of number that was typically stuck into big musicals for the sake of having a big, full-cast song and dance number, regardless of whether it meant anything to the plot. You can find them in many of the older musicals (like Carousel's "This Was A Real Nice Clambake" or Brigadoon's "I'll Go Home With Mary Jean"). I have no idea why I know this.

Songs like that are the reason people joke these days with the whole "I think I feel a song coming on." In fact, what made it so funny in the "Family Guy" skit is that that is exactly what they were going for by having him break into song, and it was pretty damn funny.

856813[/snapback]

I could never make it through Act 2 of the Music Man because of the Shipoopi break. Act 1 is hilarious as hell, but thanks to Buddy, I can never stick around long enough to see if Robert Preston ever learns his lesson enough to tap that Mrs. Partridge. :blush:

I could never make it through Act 2 of the Music Man because of the Shipoopi break. Act 1 is hilarious as hell, but thanks to Buddy, I can never stick around long enough to see if Robert Preston ever learns his lesson enough to tap that Mrs. Partridge.  :blush:

856913[/snapback]

Act III opens with Preston nailing her, and then being hunted down by David Cassidy for the rest of the play. :D