Earned vs. Lucky breaks.....

AnthonyF

I've commented in the past that we have benefited recently in the takeaway battle, due primarily to luck and have upset many on the site.

I put to you that both Favre's fumbles, were the result of incompetent qb play, not any skill on our part.

Generally the majority of fumbles are just bad breaks or hitting the carrier in the perfect place (remember the Ref who caused JP to fumble vs. NE). Add to that a ball popping up perfectly and then being returned for a TD (McGee vs/ Indy) and you have everything going your way.

Now Favre threw a terrible Int returned for a TD, almost as bad as JP's vs. Houston. Favre's other int was a ball popping up in the air at the goal line. Then JP get's hit in the elbow and throws an int vs. Jax, that promptly is fumbled and the Bills recover.

Point is the only earned fumbles are those the result of blindside hits, which is usually the result of the right play call.

Interceptions often are great defensive plays, proper positioning or the result of a bad pass.....

Earlier in the year we got very few of these breaks or did not take advantage of them.

However to me fumbles are just luck and we've had a lot of them the last 4 weeks.

What is your position or comment???

Well i will say on thing causing a fumble at the nfl level isnt easy, you have the hit the ball carrier in a certin way and at the right angle, it takes alot of skill to jump a route and be in position to make a play. Example blind side hits on QB will usually result in a fumble. but it taks skill to earn that position to make the hit

Remember this, you have to put yourself in position to be lucky in the first place, so it isn't really all about just plain and simple luck.

854330[/snapback]

What about the fumbler/losee putting themselves in the wrong place?

Basic one:

ie: not switching hands/ball when running down the sideline

Look at the JP lob pick against JAX... You can't say the Bills receiver did anything great except hit the JAX DB once they made the pick... The DB runs in a different direction, different story.

That was lucky.