WOW, Hot Tuna played the Palace in Syracuse???

The Poojer

I remember they played USA Sams in N. Syracuse 15 or so years ago, they freaking rocked!!!!!!!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hot Tuna performs for 500 at Palace

Even before they took their set break Tuesday night at the Palace Theater, singer-guitarist Jorma Kaukonen made a promise to the crowd of about 500 happy folk-blues jammers.

“As I’m fond of saying in these moments, like it or not, we’ll be back. As Bob Wills used to say: We came to play.”

Play they did, two sets that stretched joyfully into a long night.

And the crowd of about 500 — enough to fill the lower section and spill over into balcony seating — liked it. The charged atmosphere in the restored theater rang of a happy urban neighborhood party.

The chemistry was just right for Hot Tuna. Kaukonen, longtime bass-playing band mate Jack Casady, mandolin star Barry Mitterhoff and drummer Erik Diaz obviously relished the opportunity to turn their diverse talents onto the blues, the folk, the bluegrass and the jams.

Kaukonen’s steady vocals fit comfortably into all of the above genres. His is a voice of vast experience. After all, he told the crowd that after they turn 62, they should be sure to apply for the golden pass that not only will get them into national parks for free, but everybody who’s in the car with them as they pass through the gate.

Mitterhoff took one look at the crowd and decided it was an AARP night.

Age and accumulated wisdom didn’t stop the fans from shouting out requests at just about every song break.

“All things in their time,” Kaukonen said calmly.

And he reminisced about past visits to Syracuse, too.

“Twenty years ago, I was driving home from here and I hit a deer on the Thruway,” he shared. “There were six of them, and I missed five. Then I got a ticket for having one headlight out.”

Sounds like a song lyric.

Hot Tuna is still making new music more than 35 years after its first record contract.

“Live Breaking News,” from the new album that’ll come out in March, had Kaukonen tackling the modern world. “I’ve got stuff to do today,” he sang, such as “tending to the business in my head.”

Sounded great alongside the long line of Hot Tuna classics, acoustic and electric.

“I Know You Rider” rang of exuberance.

“Come Back Baby” was soaked in blues.

“Barbecue Man” was sly and saucy.

Kaukonen sang of trains and love and heartbreak.

Casady and Kaukonen rocked hard together when they were in legendary rock band Jefferson Airplane. Nowadays they appear quite happy with their feet on the ground and their hearts into Hot Tuna.

Why they even happily pitched travel mugs, picture books and CDs before intermission.

--Staff writer Mark Bialczak

“Barbecue Man” was sly and saucy.

851492[/snapback]

Good stuff but I think he means "Barbeque King". And that was by Vital Parts and not Hot Tuna.

Thanks for the reminder - time to break out my "Christmas" CD by Jorma. My fave tune is "Holiday Marmalade" which includes a jamming electric version of "Silent Night".

I helped break up a knife fight behind stage at a solo Jorma show about 20 years ago. Good times.

For those who did not know, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady were with the Jefferson Airplane before they became a Starship.

Burgers was always my favorite album, and I loved it when Papa John Creach played fiddle with them.

From Jormas online diary: Click Here-Jorma Kaukonen

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - November 29, 2006 0902 Burlington, Vermont

"We had a wonderful sold out show at the Palace Theater in Syracuse last night. It's been a while since we played Syracuse so it was doubly nice. Good folks and a heck of a soup and sandwich at the adjoining cafe.

Anyway, it was still strangely warm... I won't complain In any case, here is our Set List:

Hot Tuna 54, 2006

The Quartet

Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady

Barry Mitterhoff & Erik Diaz

The Palace Theater

Syracuse, New York

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Set One:

1. True Religion

2. Watch The North Wind Rise

3. Bowlegged Woman

4. Rock Me Baby

5. Living Just For You

6. Soliloquy For 2

7. Blue Railroad Train*

8. How Long Blues*

9. Late Breaking News*

10. Come Back Baby*

11. I Know You Rider

12. Hit Single #1

Set Two:

1. Serpent Of Dreams

2. In The Kingdom

3. Can’t Get Satisfied

4. Ode To Billy Dean

5. Corners Without Exits

6. 99 Year Blues

7. There’s A Table Sitting In Heaven*

8. Fur Peace Rag*

9. Barbeque King*

10. Embryonic Journey*

11. Funky #7

12. Talking ‘Bout You

13. Encore: Baby What You Want Me To Do?

After the show we headed out for Burlington. As soon as we started driving I hit the bunk. The next thing I knew it the bus wss rocking in a way inconsistent with the road. I climbed out into the forward lounge just in time to see a wave break over the bow and splash on the windshield. Wait a minute.. breaking wave? Oh yeah, we were on a tiny ferry on Lake Champlain... almost to Vermont. What a way to wake up.

I think I'll go back to sleep... I'm in a hotel now. What a day!"

asterisks mean 'acoustic' numbers.