Dick...

Joe, are you sure it wasn't 1.11 remaining?

I am all but sure that this is what I saw, but your point is taken.

849308[/snapback]

Whatever. They had the ball in reasonable positioning after the kick, and there was MORE than enough time to try a few throws downfield and go for a FG at least.

Joe, are you sure it wasn't 1.11 remaining?

I am all but sure that this is what I saw, but your point is taken.

849308[/snapback]

They heard a little chorus of boos when that happened, but when the guys were heading for the tunnel they got an ovation.

Whatever. They had the ball in reasonable positioning after the kick, and there was MORE than enough time to try a few throws downfield and go for a FG at least.

849312[/snapback]

Why would you do that? Two incompletions downfield and its 3rd and long before we punt into the wind and give them a good chance to tie the game before half. Having Losman throw deep into that wind with the other team playing extra DBs is positioning the team for failure.

If Price could have taken the quick pass on 1st for about 20 yards then I think we would have tried to get points, but when it went for almost nothing they went conservative. Anything else would have been Mularkey-like in my opinion.

Why would you do that?  Two incompletions downfield and its 3rd and long before we punt into the wind and give them a good chance to tie the game before half.  Having Losman throw deep into that wind with the other team playing extra DBs is positioning the team for failure.

If Price could have taken the quick pass on 1st for about 20 yards then I think we would have tried to get points, but when it went for almost nothing they went conservative.  Anything else would have been Mularkey-like in my opinion.

849321[/snapback]

That smacks of fear, not confidence. A winning team is always trying to put the boot down on the opponent's neck.

Also, WTF is with a punt from the 38 of Jax?

So you gained what, 18 yards? Try the kick. Lindell's got the leg.

849331[/snapback]

Joe, you are one of the most sensible people on this site.... honest!... but I have to disagree with you here. The chances of pinning them deep with a Pro Bowl punter are much better than the chances of making that FG on that day, and the risk of putting them at the 20 (worst case scenario with a punt) instead of their 45, which is where they would have been on a FG miss, is much too large to risk.

Granted, when I play Madden I never punt at all, but that is one reason why I do not coach in the NFL. :lol:

Joe, you are one of the most sensible people on this site.... honest!... but I have to disagree with you here. The chances of pinning them deep with a Pro Bowl punter are much better than the chances of making that FG on that day, and the risk of putting them at the 20 (worst case scenario with a punt) instead of their 45, which is where they would have been on a FG miss, is much too large to risk.

Granted, when I play Madden I never punt at all, but that is one reason why I do not coach in the NFL.  :)

849333[/snapback]

Well, that's the first time anyone's said THAT about me... :lol:

You may be right, but between the conservative end to the second and the punt from the 38, you're talking about anywhere from 6-10 potential points left off the board.

Well, that's the first time anyone's said THAT about me...  :lol:

You may be right, but between the conservative end to the second and the punt from the 38, you're talking about anywhere from 6-10 potential points left off the board.

849338[/snapback]

Well, Joe, the bar is not really that high.... :)

I understand the complaints about the conservative game plan, and have my own problems with it, going back to when Chuck Knox did the same thing. But we need to remember how many people were on DJ and Co for taking too many risks in the early weeks of the season. These things balance themselves out, and rather than think of the theoretical points left on the board (which ignores too many other variables) I think the decisions this past weekend worked out fine.

Well, that's the first time anyone's said THAT about me...  :lol:

849338[/snapback]

If Jabari Greer had any kind of motor skills we'd have pinned them on the 1.